Fantasy Life

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Re: Fantasy Life

Post by pdSlooper »

Uemtasu is primarily known for doing the scores of Final Fantasy 1-9, but he's done a fair amount of other music besides.
HappyMaskSalesman

Post by HappyMaskSalesman »

I picked this up a little after the release date, it was during the hectic time of game releases so I barely played it, however I am very eagered to start playing it again and getting hooked after reading this thread.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'm still interested in getting back to this game once I have a few less games on my plate, as I really only got into the beginning.

Interestingly, Level-5 announced Fantasy Life 2, which will be exclusive to mobile platforms and will have a focus on farming.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
HappyMaskSalesman

Post by HappyMaskSalesman »

The Shoemaker wrote:I'm still interested in getting back to this game once I have a few less games on my plate, as I really only got into the beginning.

Interestingly, Level-5 announced Fantasy Life 2, which will be exclusive to mobile platforms and will have a focus on farming.
Yeah I heard about the sequel which I was over the moon about, but then I heard about it's platform and I don't know how I feel about it since I am not to big on mobile gaming...
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

HappyMaskSalesman wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:I'm still interested in getting back to this game once I have a few less games on my plate, as I really only got into the beginning.

Yeah I heard about the sequel which I was over the moon about, but then I heard about it's platform and I don't know how I feel about it since I am not to big on mobile gaming...
Neither am I, but I'm sure Level-5 will make quality mobile content. It's sort of misleading though to call this Fantasy Life 2 when the gameplay is pretty different and is on a different platform. The one that makes the least amount of sense is Layton 7, which is mobile only and is a card game. Why put the 7 in the title if it's just a spin off?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I started playing this game again recently and I`m really enjoying it, I`ve put in an extra 20 hours in the last week! I`ve expanded my list of jobs and places I can go and the game has really opened up now.

I find the three crafting Lives to be interesting: Blacksmith, Carpenter and Tailor. These really aren`t jobs you would want to start the game with, because in order to excell in one you kind of need to have all three, and making materials as a blacksmith requires materials from a carpenter and tailor life. You can for the most part buy the materials you need, but it`s much cheaper to make them in each respective Life. It`s a little odd that each life shares a very similar crafting mini game, but since the jobs are so interconnected it almost makes sense to have them all be similar so that you can quickly switch between them. I like that through crafting you can make better quality gear than the stores offer too.

I`m liking the combat a little more now as well. Now that I`m further into the game dodging and timing attacks has become much more important, so I find myself using the tired and true combos less now. I`ve also tried Paladin and Hunter Lives now. I think I like the paladin`s longsword + shield combo better than the Mercenary`s Claymore. It just seems more effective to be quick with each move and to have that extra defense. I like the hunter as well, the stun, sleep and poison arrows are neat and the bow itself functions much better than I thought. Still haven`t tried the Magic Life yet.

I think it`s the simple idea of completing all of each Life`s challenges that keeps me going. It`s just fun having a list of things to complete for each life and figuring out how to do so. Classic addictive gameplay.

The one thing I`m not sure about is the game`s main gimmick - switching Lives. Each Life has specific skill bonuses attached, and as you get better you learn special moves specific to those Lives. So basically if you`re a blacksmith and you want to make a bunch of carpenter materials, you`re much better off switching to a carpenter and then making them. So often times I`ll switch back and forth between a lot of the crafting jobs just to make the better materials. Same with the combat, if I want to use the longsword special move, I need to be a paladin. Or if I want to use the woodcutters special move, I need to be the woodcutter. And some challenges can only be completed if you`re the specific Life when you do them. It`s easy enough to switch, but it`s almost tedious that if I walk into a room with a big fish, a big hunk of ore, and a big tree, it`s only really worth my while to grab whichever one of those things my Life happens to be at the time.

At the same time I do like the idea that you might see something and be like "I wish I was a _______ right now!" and have to remember to come back later. So I'm not sure if I'm sold on the idea of switching Lives constantly, maybe it would be better if there were more quick travel options available, but I'm still liking the game quite a bit.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Made some good progress in the game

I think I'm pretty close to the finale of the main story now. At this point I'm mostly just skipping through a lot of the text. Sometimes the dialogue is charming, but usually it's just way too long with very little substance. The game itself I'm still liking. I'm pretty close to being a Master in all lives now so I'm getting a lot of the good skills and materials.

I just started the Wizard Life the other day. It works similarily to the Archer, but each type of magic works pretty differently than the others. This variety seems to have come at the expensive of a really lame 'A' button combo. I like the skills, but I do find that it's a lot weaker than the sword classes, and possibly even weaker than the archer. Not sure yet.

55 hours in now, not sure if I'm going to stop when the story stops or try to complete all the challenges for each Life.