Wii to Wii U system transfer

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Wii to Wii U system transfer

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Anyone still planning on performing this transfer?

This weekend I took the time to do this. It was mainly for the WiiWare and VC titles, the Wii games on disc will still be played on my Wii. To my regret I forgot to make a backup of my savegames, so now all Wii games are 'new' on my Wii.
What are others experiences with the transfer?

Still disappointed they never fixed the Wii Shop channel so it could check the titles on the SD card.
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Wii to Wii U system transfer

Post by Kong Wen »

The whole transfer system and indeed the whole Wii-within-a-Wii submenu mode setup are a crock. I believe I did backup all my saves, and the actual transfer process went OK for me (after an hours-long system update (I got my Wii U home and setup on launch day)), but it's not exactly motivating to play those games now. I guess hiding them in the guts of the system is a good way for Nintendo to motivate you to buy the same games again...

Speaking of the transfer, did we ever get LostWinds back? Or is that stuck back on the Wii for good? It wouldn't transfer. Neither would games that had an online component, if I remember correctly.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

LostWinds transferred with the rest. The Wii transfer app was updated for this. Don't know what you should do if you don't have the Wii anymore.

Was downloading my purchases this afternoon, but got a black screen 2 times after an error on a download. Had to pull the powercord to be able to restart my Wii U.
Grt. Merlin

evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

I bought my Wii U at launch and, counting the huge day one update they had, it took six hours to get up to speed, transferring everything, and redownloading them from the eshop. Six hours.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I have never done this. I wonder if I even should. My sister has my Wii in her apartment at college, so I hope to get it back in one piece! Can you re-download games that you already own for free on the Wii Shop (accessing it through the Wii section on the WiiU?) I am not talking about the ipdated version on the WiiU Shop, just the same copy as before.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:I have never done this. I wonder if I even should. My sister has my Wii in her apartment at college, so I hope to get it back in one piece! Can you re-download games that you already own for free on the Wii Shop (accessing it through the Wii section on the WiiU?) I am not talking about the ipdated version on the WiiU Shop, just the same copy as before.
You used to be able to, yes. I'm not sure what the current status of the old Wii Shop is, though.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Yes, all purchases are available. I'm not done with downloading them all, but all 3 DKC titles are ready for download. My list is 9 pages long on the Wii Shop channel and counts 89 titles (demos included). With a list of VC titles somewhere on this forum (or locally saved), I can compare and see if it is complete.
Grt. Merlin

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Do I have to delete it from my Wii if I download it again? Can it exist in two places at once?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:Do I have to delete it from my Wii if I download it again? Can it exist in two places at once?
The transfer process automatically removes it from your Wii, which is absurd, because Nintendo reasons.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kong Wen wrote:
Kreegs wrote:Do I have to delete it from my Wii if I download it again? Can it exist in two places at once?
The transfer process automatically removes it from your Wii, which is absurd, because Nintendo reasons.
Not if the content is on an SD card. But the Wii loses its authority to run them, as that was tied to 1 Wii. Off course you can still run the Wii (disc) games, but you might take a precaution and copy the save games to an SD card if you want to continue a game. I didn't and I'm regretting the transfer because of it.
Grt. Merlin