PlayStation Plus

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: PlayStation Plus

Post by Kong Wen »

The PS+ update for July is now live:

Rocket League (PS4)
Styx: Master of Shadows (PS4)
MouseCraft (PS4, Vita, PS3)
Entwined (PS4, Vita, PS3)
Rain (PS3)
Geometry Wars 3 (Vita)

Rocket League is being touted as a big release, but I'm skeptical. It's by the same people who made Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars (or whatever that game was called... close enough), which was a somewhat clunky niche online game that they pulled server support for too early. Still, it promises to be much improved over their earlier title, and it's on PS4, so it might have some appeal.

Sony showed Entwined at E3 last year and I immediately pegged it as a future PS+ gimme, so I'll be picking that up tonight. It looks nice.

Geometry Wars 3 is a beauty of a game that was bogged down by some ridiculous gating at launch. I've heard they fixed that problem, but I haven't gone back to it to check for myself. It'll be a nice fit on Vita. Great quick portable game.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Here are the PS+ freebies for August.

One of those Lara Croft spinoff games, Limbo, Sound Shapes, and Stealth Inc. 2. God of War Ascension and CastleStorm are also available.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

At least some future PS+ freebies will be determined by popular vote, depending on how this Vote to Play initiative goes.

I admit to not really having any idea how PS+ works other than on the consumer side. How are the games selected, what is the developer/publisher involvement, how does it affect their bottom line, etc.?

Popular vote could be bad for the people who like the kind of niche indie games that often get attention using PS+ promotions. I've also heard some complaints that this kind of structure won't do anything to combat the sense of entitlement that some people seem to have about getting free/cheap games.

What are your thoughts on voting to choose which games become PS+ freebies?
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I don't like the idea, to be honest. First and most importantly, especially as my preferences are often minority preferences, I think the titles selected will be inevitably predictable. Whichever game seems to have the most media buzz at the time...and I'm sure the one I vote for will seldom 'win.'

Separately, I kind of like the process of it being a surprise and how it brings me to consider a game I either hadn't considered getting before or that I wasn't even aware of for whatever reason. Those little curve balls keep it interesting for me.

That said I don't think it'll impact my willingness to continue to be a subscriber. It's still a good deal.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I hate this. Share already covered my reasons why, but I'm also frustrated since it can only be an appeal to the whining, self-entitled comment section trolls who deserve a spanking, not rewards.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Have people been unsatisfied with the PS+ offerings thus far? I haven't seen many games come up that looked like duds. Anyway, I imagine Sony will still be vetting the initial pool of games to vote for so it's not like it's going to be Call of Duty winning every time or something. You'll still see plenty of high profile indie releases show up that will garner a lot of votes. Also do we know if this is a zero sum game or not? It doesn't look like they mentioned that this choice option will be replacing one of the free games you've been used to getting. Perhaps it's an addition.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The freebies for September have been announced.

Grow Home (PS4)
Super Time Force Ultra (PS4)
Xeodrifter (PS4, Vita)
Teslagrad (PS4, PS3)
Twisted Metal (PS3)
La Mulana EX (Vita)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: Xeodrifter (PS4, Vita)
Now is your time Kong, give it a try!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:
I'll try it for free for sure. I watched the trailer on the PS Store and it still looks like everything I don't like about Mutant Mudds, but I'm hoping the level design and slightly different genre can rescue it for me.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:
I'll try it for free for sure. I watched the trailer on the PS Store and it still looks like everything I don't like about Mutant Mudds, but I'm hoping the level design and slightly different genre can rescue it for me.
We'll see then, in the end it's only a couple hours long. I liked the brisk pace, once you know what you're doing it's almost one power up after the other.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons