Football... of all sorts!

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.

Who do you think will win Super Bowl 50?

Poll ended at 07 Feb 2016 15:01

Carolina Panthers
100%
Denver Broncos
No votes

Total votes: 1

Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Football... of all sorts!

Post by Claytone »

Slurmee wrote:
Yeah 4 years at least which would be crazy awesome.

I'm gonna go to the first one for sure I just want to go for the experience. Marching Bands, Cheerleaders, Crowds and all the other crazy stuff that you just dont see in Australian sports. Not to mention I haven't been to Etihad Stadium in years.
YES. Marching bands, IMO, make a huge difference as part of the college experience. I also think there's a certain devotion in college sports and a history of rivalries that just can't be matched in the pro game.

Related, we have a guy on our team at Georgia Tech who's from Australia

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-fo ... 03529.html

He's also REALLY GOOD. Pretty cool.
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I probably won't have to mention this as everyone probably already knows but Bradys suspension has stayed at 4 games and he's likely to take it to court.

He also destroyed his phone which looks shifty but there's no proof anywhere that he's done it so innocent until proven guilty in my book.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Claytone wrote:
Slurmee wrote:
Yeah 4 years at least which would be crazy awesome.

I'm gonna go to the first one for sure I just want to go for the experience. Marching Bands, Cheerleaders, Crowds and all the other crazy stuff that you just dont see in Australian sports. Not to mention I haven't been to Etihad Stadium in years.
YES. Marching bands, IMO, make a huge difference as part of the college experience. I also think there's a certain devotion in college sports and a history of rivalries that just can't be matched in the pro game.

Related, we have a guy on our team at Georgia Tech who's from Australia

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-fo ... 03529.html

He's also REALLY GOOD. Pretty cool.
Yay marching bands! I was in one during college!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Just watched some CFL (Canadian Football League)

Edmonton were down by 3 and it was 3rd and 4 (which is like 4th and 4) and they would have had a shot at a 48 yard field goal with 40 seconds left and instead then make a play and the ball gets intercepted and game over...

Why oh why wouldn't you go for the field goal and tie it. STUPID STUPID STUPID
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

My local gridiron team played in the Vic Bowl (State Championship) and won beating out the team that won it the last 3 years by the score 16-7

Scores were 7-0 (my team losing) in the 2nd and with 7 seconds left after a blocked punt my team scored a touchdown to tie it before half team.

They'd then go on to get a saftey from an error from the other teams center overthrowing the ball to the punter and then scoring a touchdown on the next drive to win.

Considering most games are played on some random crappy ground with not seats and you gotta stand it was awesome to see them play on field with 1900 seats even if half the seats had bird shit on them.

I stands are empty as everyone came onto the field after the game for the presentation. Was probably about 500-1000 people at the game.

(The Division II game was a 9-6 finish which was close and their was only 1 point and 4 point difference in the two Division I semi final games so it's great for the sport that it was so close)
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

There's been a bit of an Australian theme going, so I'm just wondering if Slurmee or anyone else has been paying attention to the Jarryd Hayne hype?

He's kind of a unique athlete as regards NFL players as far as I can tell. Not terribly fast or explosive, but very smooth and decisive in his cuts, good vision(both with the ball and locating it in the air), pretty good balance, and is big enough to be tough to bring down. He also seems like he might have pretty good hands. I don't know if he has any blocking ability, but I'll be watching some 49ers games to see if there are any plays where he does. He's awfully tall for a back(though one could imagine this guy being a multi-position movement type player if his skills improved enough), but he has better feet than your typical tall guy. I can think of a few Wide Receivers who are built like that and have great feet and even better overall athleticism(Kelvin Benjamin of the Panthers is 1 example), but none of them have an even remotely similar running style. I'm struggling to think of players who remind me of him. Its hard to describe, but his style of cutting combined with how good he is at it, is definitely atypical for at least modern NFL style play. You just have to watch him to see what I'm talking about.

This is an Australian(his father is from Fiji, his mother is Australian) rugby league player who has never played American football, and already he is making it awful hard for the 49eres coaching staff to cut him. There have also been Australian reporters and such at 49ers press conferences. I think that's pretty awesome.

Since I don't know very much about rugby in general(much less the two different kinds), I'm wondering what about the sport could give this guy an advantage in some areas that maybe average NFL players at his position could improve on more. He's not super athletic by NFL standards or anything(he's athletic, but this is a league with Calvin Johnsons and the like), but his vision and movement, and I would even say overall skills have looked quite impressive. Makes me want to learn more about the sport. It could be that we will be seeing more Australian guys(not Australian football punters) soon giving American football a shot. It's still preseason, so all this talk is pre-mature hype, but I'm intrigued. I could imagine a guy with similar playing style who is even more athletic being a very scary player.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Of course I like the Vikings. Skol!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I really hope Haynes makes it and I'm really pissed I can't pick him up for my dynasty football team as espn haven't put him in.

I haven't watched him play much though I really should.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I'm keen on setting up a NFL fantasy league (like the hockey one) and wondering how many people would be interested.

It would run similar to the hockey one with overall score of the year being calculated to decide the winner and I'd run it off google docs like kong did.

I was thinking of just using standard ESPN fantasy scoring to decide points as I'm not to sure how well it would work on grabbing players just on TD points.

If that's the case I was thinking about making it 2 Quarterbacks (As quarterbacks earn a ton of points) and either 3 Receivers (Wide or Tight End) and 3 Running Backs or just 6 Receivers/Running Backs with no limit on anything.

That would mean we'd have 8 starters then we could have a bench of say 7? With a total of 15 players.

We'd then have the same injury/missed game rule as we did in hockey (Missed 20 out of 82 games 1/4 of the season) if you a player misses 4 games you have a week to decide if you want to bench them or not.

We'd also have a set date when you can swap over 2 players (exactly like in the hockey one) I was thinking around Week 8-10 which can be decided on.

Nonetheless who would be interested and I'm happy to set it all up.

First game starts on the 10th so we'd need to set this up within a week i'd say.

(I'm thinking minimum of 4 people)
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I guess there's no interest?