Mario Maker

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Mario Maker

Post by The Shoemaker »

The Shoemaker wrote:Alright gang, after many hours I've finally finished my latest level: Prison Break

Find it here: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... apeTheFate
Or here: 454F-0000-01B5-01A4

It's a bit of puzzle, a bit of action, a bit of platforming; a little bit of everything. I had many more ideas for the puzzle section involing Yoshi and whatnot, but in the end I decided that it's better to have a level that's short and sweet. The only part that might drag a bit is the end, let me know if I went overboard with that part. Overall I'd say the level is of middling difficulty, which is what I like to go for.
-----------------

Also Kreegs, I could still get to the checkpoint as big Mario, but I did so by intentionally trying to exploit the level, I'm thinking most people won't think to do it the way I did.

Evildevil, beat the Aqua Airship one. You're right, it's not too bad once you get to the second checkpoint. Lots of options with that Bowser fight!

(I meant to edit not quote :oops:
Last edited by The Shoemaker on 31 Jan 2016 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Do you recommend I change the checkpoint one more time? I might as well. How could I go it so you cant exploit it?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:Do you recommend I change the checkpoint one more time? I might as well. How could I go it so you cant exploit it?
I would make a section like this leading up to the area with the checkpoint

Also, updated my level posted last night as there was a way to get stuck. Code is updated, should be updated on my page as well.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Ok I reposted those two levels again. Let me know what you think of the updates. I will play yours in a bit here.

How do you get so many people to play your levels so quickly?!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote: How do you get so many people to play your levels so quickly?!
Like I said before, I post them on other sites like GameFaq's first to get some publicity, and from there it becomes popular in the system and more and more people play it. Quite happy to have over 700 people try my Bullet Bill level!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Kreegs wrote: How do you get so many people to play your levels so quickly?!
Like I said before, I post them on other sites like GameFaq's first to get some publicity, and from there it becomes popular in the system and more and more people play it. Quite happy to have over 700 people try my Bullet Bill level!
Ok I might have to put some on sites like that. Not sure if I even have a gamefaq account.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The prison break level was really pretty awesome!! Very methodical. I get the feeling that the general public doesnt play the challenging levels until they are beaten. Anyone else get that vibe?

Also, seems to be hard to earn a star from evildevil!! ;)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:The prison break level was really pretty awesome!! Very methodical. I get the feeling that the general public doesnt play the challenging levels until they are beaten. Anyone else get that vibe?

Thanks!

I generally stay away from challenging levels unless they are popular, because there's no incentive to beat them, which is a shame. For this reason I tend to try and make my levels with a standard difficulty.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Kreegs wrote:The prison break level was really pretty awesome!! Very methodical. I get the feeling that the general public doesnt play the challenging levels until they are beaten. Anyone else get that vibe?

Thanks!

I generally stay away from challenging levels unless they are popular, because there's no incentive to beat them, which is a shame. For this reason I tend to try and make my levels with a standard difficulty.
I need to make easier levels then! My most starred level is the one where you get a star and run through everyone... NOT my personal favorite one at all.

I just put up another one that I think is easier, but maybe I just need to have a short level that everyone can beat...
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

My most starred level is Cloud Muncher Valley, a stage where I came up with a silly gimmick and just ran with it. Obviously, I have trouble making stages easy, and I've tried to water down difficulty too, usually during the upload tests.