Mario Maker

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Mario Maker

Post by Kong Wen »

Super Mario Maker shared level master list!

Claytone

F9AB-0000-0043-1747 - Choose Your Fate!

evildevil97

958C-0000-0024-1846 - Bowser's Aqua Ship - A SMB3 non-scrolling airship with a couple water segments thrown in. Ends with a boss fight with Bowser.
7639-0000-0032-6E7E - Mind Over Manor - A SMW ghost house with a small castle section thrown in. Probably my worst designed course. Features a small Magikoopa section and a lot of Big Flying Dry Bones bouncing sections.
00A7-0000-0039-903B - The Tower of Up - A SMB1 vertically inspired platforming gauntlet. Easily my best course thus far, though it probably is a bit too long. I'm quite proud of a minor Boo puzzle I put late in the stage.
4E52-0000-0043-88B1 - Cloud Muncher Valley
9F72-0000-004A-BB30 - Buzzy Beetleship
7379-0000-0061-A432 - Mushroom Rush

Ouenben

837F-0000-0042-8A5A - multiple route mayhem - Multiple ways to beat the level, many secrets to be found!
97CA-0000-0042-850f - Can you find all 3 secrets? - Again multiple ways to beat this level, slightly puzzler platformerish with big secrets to be found

The Shoemaker

5800 0000 001D 42EF - Platforms n' Parakoopa's
2639 0000 0031 BEA8 - Bullet Bill Mayhem
F67D 0000 005B 7CC9 - Perplexing P-Switches

EDIT: Original post below.

Mario Maker is a weird Mario Paint / LittleBigPlanet game coming to Wii U in 2015 that lets you create and share Super Mario Bros. levels. When they originally revealed it back at E3, they showed Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. block sets, and my first comment was "I wish they had included design pieces from other Mario games."

Guess what they revealed at the Game Awards?

Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World themes. It looks like all your creations are independent of theme and you can toggle back and forth between them.

We'll probably start using this thread to share levels when the game comes out. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Mario Maker

Post by The Shoemaker »

I was excited at E3 and even more excited now. Mario is a perfect game for creating because it's so simple and the mechanics are so good.

Interesting that it seems like different things will happen in different game styles. Like how in SMB style when you jump on a Koopa you just get the shell, but in SMW style you get the shell and the Koopa pops out. Or in NSMB style you can wall jump and ground pound - I'm still wondering if this is exclusive to this style though. Also I hope your running speed and jump height stays consistent throughout each style.

Also interesting to see new features to these styles, like platforms that were never in the original games showing up now with original sprites. You can see this in SMW with the mushroom platforms and in SMB3 with the arrow sign.

I like how you can mess with things as well, like make cannons shoot spineys and stack up a jumble of enemies or give anything wings. Lots of possibilities here.

I'm curious to see how big we can make our levels and if we're limited to only using so many materials. Hopefully it comes out in the first quarter of 2015!

EDIT: Also with the Raccoon Tail inclusion, I wonder if each style will now have the tail or their flying equivalent (Super Cape, Super Acorn, nothing from SMB 1 :p). I would like to see the frog suit come back, hammer bros suit, Penguin, Spin top, Ice flowers and all the rest, Yoshi too. Ideally I want every single thing from all the 2D Mario's at my disposal (along with different characters) but I'm prepare for a more limited approach :) The depth we've seen so far is promising though.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Yeah, I was hoping the different styles would maintain their own internal rules (wall jumping, ground stomp, the ability to carry shells, etc.). SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMB also have their own physics (jumping, swimming, etc.) so I hope these are maintained. I guess we'll see more! It would be really interesting (though unlikely...) if we also got access to Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Land sprites.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:Yeah, I was hoping the different styles would maintain their own internal rules (wall jumping, ground stomp, the ability to carry shells, etc.). SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMB also have their own physics (jumping, swimming, etc.) so I hope these are maintained. I guess we'll see more! It would be really interesting (though unlikely...) if we also got access to Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Land sprites.
I would really like some SMB2 just for the music, it would be really catchy to see them do some remixes. I also wonder if we'll be able to make functional warp pipes, with all the options I have to assume this is a given.

Seeing the 4 styles together - SMB, SMB3, SMW and NSMB reminds me of how long we went without a 2D Mario game - from Super Nintendo to DS/Wii!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I know my wife is really looking forward to this, as 2D Mario games are her favorite. I think it will be really fun to make levels for each other and giggle as he or she gets killed by a surprise goomba or pit!

Do we think this game will allow you to make a "game," as in stringing levels together to make a world?

Shoe - Warp pipes would be amazing! Just think of making levels like the ones in World 7 from SMB3!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:I know my wife is really looking forward to this, as 2D Mario games are her favorite. I think it will be really fun to make levels for each other and giggle as he or she gets killed by a surprise goomba or pit!

Do we think this game will allow you to make a "game," as in stringing levels together to make a world?

Shoe - Warp pipes would be amazing! Just think of making levels like the ones in World 7 from SMB3!
I love to create in games so with an easy pick up and play editor like this I think i'll have a lot of fun.

And it's hard to tell if they'll let you string levels together - my gut says no but then in the latest trailer they showed you getting the end of level bonus in SMB3. The bonus only takes effect if you match 3 cards in a row so it could be an aesthetic or actually work like it did in the original game.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I think they'll let you string together levels to make a game, even if it's just a playlist or something. It would actually be kind of insane and deserving of the #Nintendont tag if they didn't. Just making and playing one-off levels, having a bunch of levels sitting in your menu and no way to play them consecutively would be a massive missed opportunity.

I'm not sure if they'll let you create little world maps with paths etc. though. That would be interesting.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just watched the video and read this thread. Didn't know what to think of it, as I've never really tried any level making features (except for Excitebike World Rally). It'll probably more time consuming than actually playing a platformer, but it could be fun if there is an option to share levels. As I'm not very creative, I'll probably end up making long easy levels that I can get through. That is if I get this title.
Wonder if they would make a seperate app whithout the editor part (or the same app with editor disabled), but with the ability to play levels created by others... Doubt it, but it would be neat and probably get others to try and create levels of their own.
Grt. Merlin

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

This whole game reminds of back in middle school when I used to have Super Mario on my TI-83+ graphing calculator. I also had a program that let you design Mario levels! It was actually pretty meaty despite being on a graphing calculator! I made some pretty cool levels.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:it could be fun if there is an option to share levels.
If there's no an option to share levels online with your friends, then there's no reason for this game to even exist. That's not to say I don't think Nintendo is capable of making this mistake, but it does mean you should be heartened to at least expect that feature.

I think I'm going to remake several of the original Super Mario Bros. levels but with a handful of surprise twists thrown in, like a pit being one block wider than it normally is, or power-ups hidden in different places.