2015 Game Clear Thread

The home of various "master lists" of This Old Neon members' gaming accomplishments and collections. Achievements and trophies, play time, and lists of collected and completed games go here.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: 2015 Game Clear Thread

Post by Claytone »

The Shoemaker wrote: I heard good things as well, do you think it was just remembered fondly for its profanity then?
Kong Wen wrote: A lot of its hype is N64 nostalgia, and yeah, a lot of the hype at the time was that it was a rare Nintendo game that was "adult" in its childishness.
So I don't think it's all nostalgia. The game was well received at the time (it holds a 92 aggregate score on metacritic), and it got as much praise for its gameplay as its writing. But man, I just thought it was okay at best. I think another contributing factor is that it is a somewhat rare game, so those that buy it on the collector's market are more likely to feel the need to justify paying so much for it. I don't know, I just thought it was not so great.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Claytone wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote: I heard good things as well, do you think it was just remembered fondly for its profanity then?
Kong Wen wrote: A lot of its hype is N64 nostalgia, and yeah, a lot of the hype at the time was that it was a rare Nintendo game that was "adult" in its childishness.
So I don't think it's all nostalgia. The game was well received at the time (it holds a 92 aggregate score on metacritic), and it got as much praise for its gameplay as its writing. But man, I just thought it was okay at best. I think another contributing factor is that it is a somewhat rare game, so those that buy it on the collector's market are more likely to feel the need to justify paying so much for it. I don't know, I just thought it was not so great.
Quite possibly it's just one of those games that haven't aged well! Not sure what the gameplay is like but most n64 games feel real clunky compared to modern 3D games.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:
I didn't say it was all nostalgia. :) My point is it didn't quite live up to the hype at the time, either. 15-year-old Metacritic scores don't really speak to the zeitgeist (it may have been critically well-received in certain circles, but it was also seen as something of a letdown, or a gimmicky cop-out). It was a late-N64 game. PS2 was out and already dominant. GCN was just around the corner. Conker was a novelty both in the sense that it was a last gasp (almost retro at the time) and that it was something different for Nintendo. But when it came out, it was something strangely out of time. It didn't recapture the magic of something like Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie.

Part of the reason it's sought now is because it's rare, yes, and part is because it's Rare. Part is what they were trying to do at the time—keep the spirit of the N64 alive.

I'm glad it's more accessible now, both for people who want to give it a try for the first time now, and for people who want to relive whatever era of their gaming pasts they cherish. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Finished

- Suikoden
- Wolfenstein: The New Order
- La Mulana EX
- Bloodborne
- Tower of Guns
- Ziggurat
- BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend
- Shovel Knight
- Ultratron
- Astebreed
- The Fall
- Journey (PS4)
- Broken Age (1&2)
- Gauntlet: Slayer Edition (PS4)

WONDERFUL game. <3

Complete

100%

- Titan Attacks (level 240, third loop)
- The Swapper
- The Unfinished Swan
- Actual Sunlight

Platinum

- Resogun
- Grim Fandango Remastered
- Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
- Muramasa Rebirth

2015 Running Total: 22

Total 2014: 43
Total 2013: 35
Total 2012: 34
Total 2011: 30
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: I didn't say it was all nostalgia. :) My point is it didn't quite live up to the hype at the time, either. 15-year-old Metacritic scores don't really speak to the zeitgeist (it may have been critically well-received in certain circles, but it was also seen as something of a letdown, or a gimmicky cop-out). It was a late-N64 game. PS2 was out and already dominant. GCN was just around the corner. Conker was a novelty both in the sense that it was a last gasp (almost retro at the time) and that it was something different for Nintendo. But when it came out, it was something strangely out of time. It didn't recapture the magic of something like Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie.

Part of the reason it's sought now is because it's rare, yes, and part is because it's Rare. Part is what they were trying to do at the time—keep the spirit of the N64 alive.

I'm glad it's more accessible now, both for people who want to give it a try for the first time now, and for people who want to relive whatever era of their gaming pasts they cherish. :)
Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I'd just never heard any of the negative perceptions surrounding its initial release.

In any case, yes, I'm certainly glad it's been rereleased, just like every other game on the collection. In particular, I think it's great they've rereleased the ZX Spectrum games, since those are super inaccessible (at least "legitimately"). I've enjoyed a very healthy amount of the games on this collection, I was just disappointed to not like Conker nearly as much as I'd hoped.
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Finished

- Suikoden
- La Mulana EX
- Bloodborne
- Tower of Guns
- Ziggurat
- Shovel Knight
- Ultratron
- Astebreed
- The Fall
- Journey (PS4)
- Broken Age (1&2)
- Helldivers
- Shütshïmï

This could have been something goofy and special, but it's just far too lean on stage modifiers to be more than a quick distraction. $10 is an insane price for what's on offer here.

Complete

100%

- The Swapper
- The Unfinished Swan
- Actual Sunlight
- Arcade Archives: Gradius

This is actually shameful. Played once and dicked around in the menus to achieve this. Got to the Moai level, that's it. Adding to 100% but not to my games beaten tally.

Platinum

- Resogun
- Muramasa Rebirth

2015 Running Total: 24

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Finished:
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS)
Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
Xeodrifter (3DS)
Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
Gunman Clive 2 (3DS) x2
Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
Mario Golf World Tour (3DS)
StreetPass Mii Plaza - Flower Town (3DS)
Runny Egg (3DS)
HarmoKnight (3DS)
BOXBOY! (3DS)
Trine 2 Director's Cut (Wii U)
Adventures of Pip (Wii U)
Jet Rocket II (3DS)
Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

Complete:
StreetPass Mii Plaza - Monster Manor (3DS)
StreetPass Mii Plaza - Mii Force (3DS)
Splatoon (Wii U)

This one was okay, I bought it on sale. Really awful multiplayer mode, not even worth trying. The main game was fine, I liked the art style, but the music was meh and I was able to run straight through most of the levels. Another game that worries more about replicating the past than paving the future.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I beat Mega Man from the Mega Man Legacy Collection on Wednesday. Live on stream. Two sittings (one before spaghetti, one after).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Finished

- Suikoden
- La Mulana EX
- Bloodborne
- Tower of Guns
- Ziggurat
- Shovel Knight
- Ultratron
- Astebreed
- The Fall
- Journey (PS4)
- Broken Age (1&2)
- Helldivers
- Shütshïmï
- Curses 'n Chaos

Beaten but not complete. On to that! Lovely game.

Complete

100%

- The Swapper
- The Unfinished Swan
- Actual Sunlight
- Arcade Archives: Gradius

Platinum

- Resogun
- Muramasa Rebirth

2015 Running Total: 25

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Finished:
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS)
Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
Xeodrifter (3DS)
Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
Gunman Clive 2 (3DS) x2
Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS)
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
Mario Golf World Tour (3DS)
StreetPass Mii Plaza - Flower Town (3DS)
Runny Egg (3DS)
HarmoKnight (3DS)
BOXBOY! (3DS)
Trine 2 Director's Cut (Wii U)
Adventures of Pip (Wii U)
Jet Rocket II (3DS)
Yoshi's New Island (3DS)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Complete:
StreetPass Mii Plaza - Monster Manor (3DS)
StreetPass Mii Plaza - Mii Force (3DS)
Splatoon (Wii U)

Finished MM 3D. It was a little frustrating at times, but it had some good moments. I think it's a game that will always be better the first time around though, as a lot of the enjoyment comes from figuring out all of the side quests.