Nintendo Direct Topic

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Nintendo Direct Topic

Post by SkyPikachu »

Considering they're not calling it a pokemon direct I hope there's little to no pokemon as I am already buying pokemon so they don't need to keep trying to sell it to me. Instead I hope they announce some cool new stuff. New 3DS Zelda like A Link Between Worlds. Knowing Nintendo a new JRPG and maybe other nintendo franchises.

But I think it will probably be more of a look at this new trailer from game you already know.

Also what's with the shitty time? Midnight Australia (asleep), 10pm Japan (getting late), 10am East Coast NA (everyone at work/school), 7am West Coast NA (asleep or getting ready for work/school), 3-4pm UK/Europe (Schools ending, people finishing up work). There's not really a good prime time (7pm until 10pm) for any of the big countries...

Usually it's 2-3am Australia or 9am Australia. Personally like Midnight better so not complaining just seems like an odd choice.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:Also what's with the shitty time? Midnight Australia (asleep), 10pm Japan (getting late), 10am East Coast NA (everyone at work/school), 7am West Coast NA (asleep or getting ready for work/school), 3-4pm UK/Europe (Schools ending, people finishing up work). There's not really a good prime time (7pm until 10pm) for any of the big countries...
School's not in yet, at least not here, and other than kids, most of the people who would be interested in a Nintendo Direct are the kinds of people who will be willing to watch it from their cubicles at work. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

3DS only direct? Federation Force could be on the direct. Maybe a surprise announcement that Axiom Verge makes it to new 3DS. They also stopped production of the old 3DSs in Japan, maybe this goes worldwide now? Anyway, I'll read about it afterwards. Haven't watched a Direct live since probably the first one...
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:New 3DS Zelda like A Link Between Worlds. Knowing Nintendo a new JRPG and maybe other nintendo franchises

Also what's with the shitty time? Midnight Australia (asleep), 10pm Japan (getting late), 10am East Coast NA (everyone at work/school), 7am West Coast NA (asleep or getting ready for work/school), 3-4pm UK/Europe (Schools ending, people finishing up work). There's not really a good prime time (7pm until 10pm) for any of the big countries...

Usually it's 2-3am Australia or 9am Australia. Personally like Midnight better so not complaining just seems like an odd choice.
I don't know. We already got two Zelda's on 3DS (plus remakes) and I'm thinking they want to release Breath of the Wild before anymore Zelda talk. I definitely think there will be no big new game announcements, maybe some eShop stuff. I'm thinking Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Yokai Watch, Shin Megami IV Final, and maybe Disney Magical World 2, probably Paper Mario Color Splash. i have a hard time thinking they'll support 3DS much after NX releases.

As for the time, I figured they do it this way so it airs mostly during the hours people are awake, rather than 2-3am. I also think it has been this time for the last 3 Directs or so.
Kong Wen wrote: We can discuss NX in the NX thread, but I agree with pretty much everyone who has anything reasonable to say about NX that being this cagey this close to launch is hurting them
I guess my views aren't reasonable ;) :lol: I'm definitely the type of person that prefers to hear about things later rather than earlier though. .
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:We can discuss NX in the NX thread, but I agree with pretty much everyone who has anything reasonable to say about NX that being this cagey this close to launch is hurting them
I guess my views aren't reasonable ;) :lol: I'm definitely the type of person that prefers to hear about things later rather than earlier though. .
6-7 months is not late, but it's getting pretty close to late. Anyway, what's at issue here isn't really just what we like to hear about consoles, but about market preparedness. If Nintendo wants to launch into a very strong stable of competitors at a weird, off-cycle time, they need to nurture the market. One of the reasons people didn't buy the Wii U was because they weren't prepared to want it / didn't know why they needed it.

I'm not saying they have to show us the console right away. But they should at least begin talking about it rather than let leaks do all the work for them. Own the story!

Sony's silence on the PS4 Slim is less problematic because it's just a budget/slimline console revision. They're not staking their generation on it. They don't even care whether people buy that over a normal PS4. It just fleshes out their line a little.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Did the Japan direct have anything different in it. Can't really be bothered watching 40 minutes of it for nothing.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:Did the Japan direct have anything different in it. Can't really be bothered watching 40 minutes of it for nothing.
Don't think there was much that would apply to anyone outside Japan. They did show a Paper Mario Color Splash trailer though.

Not bad Direct, considering how low my expectations were there were actually quite a few more things announced than I was expecting.

I would have bought Mario Maker on 3DS when it first came out, might have considered it this time if you could upload levels. What a deal breaker. Glad 3DS is getting a good Yoshi game with Wolly World, but I'm okay playing my Wii U copy. Might get that Poochy Amiibo so my Yarn Yoshi can ride it though.

Zelda Amiibo's were cool too. I think I want the 8-bit Link to go along with my 8-bit Mario. And maybe the Ocarina of Time one, as it's such an iconic pose.

I think 2D Pikmin is a great idea. Can definitely see the concept working well and it's cool to see the two screens of the 3DS being used well again. Hopefully there are a lot of nooks and cranny's to explore.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Mario Sports Superstar. I like Mario Tennis, Golf and Baseball, and love the idea of 5 sports being tied into one game. If each sport retains the depth the individual games have, with a lot of content and challenges to offer, I'm sold. I imagine a campaign mode where all 5 sports are incorporated would be a lot of fun.

I always like to see new StreetPass games, even if less people are bringing their 3DS's out these days. I usually turn wireless off now to save battery since I'm not playing any streetpass titles. School is coming up again so it will be a great time to StreetPass. Cool that we get a free title, but as far as I can tell there are no new hats or costumes...

Will jump on Picross 3D Round 2 when it goes on sale.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I thought Nintendo had a really good Direct. Just as a personal note, I'm glad they focused on 3DS over NX. I don't give a damn about the NX while I still play 3DS regularly.

There's several games from their lineup that I will definitely buy. There's also a few which I had not intended to buy but which they might have sold me on. The 3DS Super Mario Maker looks rad to me for instance. I especially like that they're giving players 100 premade Nintendo levels straight out of the box.

I'm a bit disappointed that Tankwars (or whatever it's called) doesn't have online play. Why does Nintendo never learn from their mistakes? Every game they make with multiplayer should have online play.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I didn't mind that it was 3DS only as that's what they stated from the outside however a NX direct needs to happen soon March is coming up soon and they have to start selling people the console or no one will buy it.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Pretty cute little Animal Crossing New Leaf Direct

Some cool updates in there, lots of new items for people to look for and ease of use updates like a permanent closet and touch screen furniture control. I have a couple Amiibo I could make use of. A bit late for an update though - 3 years later!