Toukiden: Kiwami

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Jordan

Toukiden: Kiwami

Post by Jordan »

"That game that's kind of like Monster Hunter"

I skipped out on the original Toukiden, but picked up Kiwami on release. I'm glad I did because it is an amazing game. The gameplay is something like Monster Hunter, something like Phantasy Star Online and something innovative in its own right. I know Kong Wen played Toukiden, but has anybody else? If so, what are your thoughts on the game?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Toukiden: Kiwami

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote:"That game that's kind of like Monster Hunter"

I skipped out on the original Toukiden, but picked up Kiwami on release. I'm glad I did because it is an amazing game. The gameplay is something like Monster Hunter, something like Phantasy Star Online and something innovative in its own right. I know Kong Wen played Toukiden, but has anybody else? If so, what are your thoughts on the game?
I loved Toukiden, although repeating the boss fights for specific parts started to feel like a grind, and some of the higher-level missions really got insanely difficult to the point that you couldn't do them without a fully-geared and skilled team.

I'm very excited to try Kiwami on PS4, mainly because I think the game would really benefit from more size, power, and content.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'm playing it on Vita. I agree that fighting the same monsters multiple times is repetitive. Unfortunately, this kind of padding seems to be endemic to the genre. I feel that Monster Hunter has the same problem.

I like using the gauntlets. I experimented with every weapon, but something about the technical nature of the gauntlets (mainly when it comes to timing crits) appealed to me the most.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote:I'm playing it on Vita. I agree that fighting the same monsters multiple times is repetitive. Unfortunately, this kind of padding seems to be endemic to the genre. I feel that Monster Hunter has the same problem.

I like using the gauntlets. I experimented with every weapon, but something about the technical nature of the gauntlets (mainly when it comes to timing crits) appealed to me the most.
Do you know if it has cross-platform play (i.e. could PS4 play online with Vita)? (I doubt it.) Still would be cool. PS: what's your PSN, I'll add you to the trophy charts. :)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Kong Wen wrote:
Jordan wrote:I'm playing it on Vita. I agree that fighting the same monsters multiple times is repetitive. Unfortunately, this kind of padding seems to be endemic to the genre. I feel that Monster Hunter has the same problem.

Do you know if it has cross-platform play (i.e. could PS4 play online with Vita)? (I doubt it.) Still would be cool. PS: what's your PSN, I'll add you to the trophy charts. :)
Toukiden Kiwami actually does have cross platform play!

My PSN is YuanShu. I'm not big on trophies though. :mrgreen:
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I'd pick this up again, but I'll wait for a sale or price drop on the second time around. Cross-platform play is lovely and all, but I'm with Kong and relish the idea of playing it on the big screen. It was definitely a showpiece title on the Vita, but with matches generally being online and lengthy, I was always at home on the couch with it anyway. I'll be interested in hearing how the new content fleshes out the game a little more. I pretty much bailed right after the credits, having (essentially) seen everything I was going to see.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote:Toukiden Kiwami actually does have cross platform play!

My PSN is YuanShu. I'm not big on trophies though. :mrgreen:
You got a nice PSN there! No numbers or symbols! We don't need to hunt trophies as long as we can hunt demons. :)
VictorViper wrote:I'll be interested in hearing how the new content fleshes out the game a little more. I pretty much bailed right after the credits, having (essentially) seen everything I was going to see.
Kind of. There's definitely some "super boss" type stuff that you only run into after the main story, like fighting three super demons at the same time, etc. which does change the game up a bit, but only in terms of scale or degree or whatever.