Game of Thrones (contains serious, massive SPOILERS)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (May contain spoilers)

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

5.5 stuff..
Spoiler
A dinner at the Bolton's is like a comedic take on the Tx Chainsaw Massacre dinner-scene.
I like the (tons) of additions to the Sansa/Bolton/Brienne plotline, this may carry this season for me.
Also, it seems like they intend to alter the Dany-plotline a lot. Considering, we have an additional death here.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kiwi, I agree about your first line about the changes to the Bolton storyline.

As for your last line about the most recent major change to the Dany storyline, I'm not happy right now.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Not a bad episode. In can just feel something huge about to go down at Winterfell!!!!! Also, anyone recall
How Stanis' daughter had her grey scale stopped??
Last edited by Kreegs on 14 May 2015 02:37, edited 2 times in total.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

5.5 was my favourite episode this season so far, despite not having anything too big happen. The pacing just felt right, enough time was given in each story line to feel like some actual story progressed, and for the most part it didn't shit all over the books for once. Maybe it's just because this was the first episode without Cersai and Jaime.

Despite having a lot of chopping to his story, Tyrion continues to please me the most because I feel like both the actor, and the writing, excellently capture the character portrayed in the books. Right before Tyrion and Jorah went through Valyria it occured to me that Jorah was going to catch Greyscale, an interesting change, I wonder how that will affect him returning to Mereen. I've seen a lot of complaints about the two literally passing by Valyria - a place no one returns from, a place where the sky is red from the always erupting volcanoes - which the show depicted as a calm set of ruins. I didn't really have a problem with it, but still odd that they didn't just go the path Tyrion went through in the books.

I feel like Ramsay is very close to blowing up, and fat Walda Bolton is even closer to being murdered in her sleep. The change in Winterfell continues to be interesting, and the pieces are starting to fall in place. I'm expecting a similar scenario to the books but with obviously different characters.
Spoiler
The big question is whether or not they get to the battle of Winterfell this season, which I hope they don't since the result of that battle is a highly anticipated point for book readers. I'm guessing they'll use episode 8 for a big battle at Hardhorn with Jon, and episode 9 for Daenerys dragon pit adventures, and leave the Winterfell battle (if it even is a big show battle) for season 6. Probably spend a couple episodes showing Stannis travelling to Winterfell and in episode 10 he'll meet Theon and Sansa ala Jeyne.
The Bolton dinner was a little awkward, but I suspect that was what they were going for. I can only guess Sansa will get some alone time with Theon at some point or another (after/before the wedding?) and will act to help Theon remember his old self a little more, maybe he'll mention that Bran and Rickon aren't dead? As a final throw away point for the Sansa story - did it make any sense for her to go walking into the dog kennels?

Danny had the most divergent story line this week. Barriston kicking the dust was a surprise.
Spoiler
My guess is that there will be no battle for Mereen since the Yunkai seem fine and dandy and the only problem in the city appears to be the Harpy. With this recent news I'm guessing Barriston is going to die in the battle of Mereen and was subsituted into this scene in the show since there will be no battle
. Interesting how a couple episodes before Barriston was encouraging Danny to give everyone a trial, so she avenges Barriston's death by not giving anyone a trial. Also, first human blood for the Dragons? Will that have an impact going forward? Despite all the changes looks like we made it to the same result by the end of the episode - Danny is (forcefully) marrying Hizdar and reopening the fighting pits. I didn`t really mind any of the changes, but like Jon becoming lord comander, the marriage kind of came out of nowhere. Marriage next episode or do we skip Danny and focus on Cersai and Arya for 5.6?

Jon's story was good, hard to adapt his book story line on TV since it revolves around a lot of internal struggles, so sending him to Hardhorn for a battle makes sense. Regarding Stannis: They changed a lot of Stannis's decisions to Jon's decisions in the show, and because of such it really seems like Stannis had no effect on the Wall's story beyond saving them in season 4. The fun thing about Jon and Stannis's relationship in the books is
Spoiler
that Stannis is making all the calls and Jon has to find ways to negotiate with Stannis and decide whether he is serving the wall or the King. In this way, it's not Jon's fault that everyone at the wall is pissed off at him for the wildlings, because he can't deny the King's commands. In the show Stannis and Jon don't really effect one another, the respect is there, but not the struggle. I wish it was Stannis making the call to enlist the Wildlings to arm the wall because he knows he has to fight the White Walkers - "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne". In the show it seems like his reason for going to the North was not because of the Walkers, but to win he North to attack King's Landing. Seems like these changes were made to make Jon look better, when really it's Stannis who needs needs more popularity in the show. Oh well, kind of a tiny thing.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I don't think the show has been shitting on the books, even with the changes. If anything, the show has been improving upon the books.

The Bolton dinner was one of my favourite scenes in recent memory. The way Roose quizzically watches Ramsay play his little games, and then casually drops a couple of serious bombs on him actually makes him look like an awesome character, even if he's still hated.

I think they're doing a good job of making Stannis more likeable this season, simply by having him be approving and respectful of Jon's methods.

I'm guessing we'll skip Dany next episode. Probably will skip Jon, too. Back to Cersei & the sparrows, maybe with Littlefinger back in the capital, Jamie, and Arya.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:I don't think the show has been shitting on the books, even with the changes. If anything, the show has been improving upon the books.

The Bolton dinner was one of my favourite scenes in recent memory. The way Roose quizzically watches Ramsay play his little games, and then casually drops a couple of serious bombs on him actually makes him look like an awesome character, even if he's still hated.

I think they're doing a good job of making Stannis more likeable this season, simply by having him be approving and respectful of Jon's methods.

I'm guessing we'll skip Dany next episode. Probably will skip Jon, too. Back to Cersei & the sparrows, maybe with Littlefinger back in the capital, Jamie, and Arya.
More of a joke than anything, I don`t think the show has done anything awful, but I`ve cringed in every episode this season when Jaime and Cersai have popped up. I don`t think they`ve made many improvements though, for this season at least. I suppose the way they`ve narrowed the story to a more focused set of characters can be seen as an improvement, but I think they`ve made a lot of little changes that weren`t necessary that change the dynamics of certain characters. This season has lacked a bit of substance, feels like they`re hitting the major plot points but not really developing any of the characters. But with so many characters I guess you can really only move the story so far in five episodes - maybe I am the book pursist I`ve been trying not to be! Still enjoying the show a lot, I just like to critique.

I think Stannis has definitely been more likable this season, but I still think he did not much at the wall. Again, same plot points, different characterization.

Skipping Jon is a possibility, or just having a brief scene of him leaving the wall. Forgot to mention the next episode is titled `Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken`so we can expect to see a decent amount of Dorne as well as Cersai and Jaime.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Interesting episode tonight.

I liked the conversation between Jorah and Tyrion about his Dad dying. Nice touch, can't remember if they ever brought that point up in the books.

Arya's reveal with the faces was pretty cool, better than I envisioned in the books.

Dorne was silly. I want to see more from the actor who is playing Doran, he seems like a really interesting character. Neither Jaime's plan or the Sand Snakes plan made sense. Funny how Bronn continues to point out how ridiculous it all is too :lol:

King's Landing is slowly shifting to where it needs to be to line up with the books (with the exception of Littlefinger). I actually didn't think they would imprison Margery. Olyvar must be getting some sort of compensation for admitting his sexual relations with Loras, he seemed quite happy to spill the beans.

As for Winterfell, looks like it turned into what we all had feared. Alfie Alen (Theon) continues to shine despite being more in the background. Hopefully next episode Sansa and Theon get to talk more.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Regarding that last scene in this episode:
Spoiler
I read lots of people critizising the show for this bit today.
I can understand why. We don't learn anything new, it will never be mentioned again and frankly is just here for shock value.
In the book, the victim was somebody else and the entire scene was part of Theon's plotline. Here however it hits Sansa, a character that at this point of the book/show generally gets stronger. Even in this episode she has quite a badass scene in which she deals with Ramsay's ex-gf. But the effect is quickly undermined by the final scene and Sansa essentially becomes a tool for Theon's plotline.
Not a particulary good thing to do or write since it undermines her development.

That said: I am not angry or anything because of it. It was unnessecary though.
Other stuff:
Spoiler
I really enjoyed the Tyrion/Mormont banter. They also vastly improved the King's Landing plotline, in particular by making Loras relevant to the events with the Sparrows (in the book he gets send away, injured and his sister leaves to be with him, taking them out of the picture).
What I didn't like so much are the events in the south. The weird coincidence that both parties reach the princess at the same time is a bit much. I can live with the change though, that Oberyn's paramour now leads the (only 3) sand snakes. In the books she tried to stay out of it to protect her children (who were playing in the water gardens).
I do want to see more Doran "Alexander Siddig El Faddil aka Dr. Julian Bashir) and Hotah though. Their scenes have been much too short.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Arya's reveal with the faces was pretty cool, better than I envisioned in the books.

Can you please explain that to me??? I have no flippin clue why she is there and I am annoyed that they spend so much time on it during the show. I feel like it could be condensed.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:

Can you please explain that to me??? I have no flippin clue why she is there and I am annoyed that they spend so much time on it during the show. I feel like it could be condensed.
Have you read the books? The content definitely has been condensed a lot, Arya basically got half a book of development all in the last episode :P
Spoiler
Basically she's in the House of Black and White, a place which worships the many faced God and is a place where people come to die. As far as I'm aware, this is where the faceless men of Bravos "train". But they don't let just anyone become a faceless person, they must forget their old self and their old desires and worship the many faced God. In this episode Arya was shown a hall with many faces. We can only assume that this is what they do with the dead bodies and they use these faces to change their own. So in other words they can only change their face into someone that has already died.
Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:Regarding that last scene in this episode:
Spoiler
I read lots of people critizising the show for this bit today.
I can understand why. We don't learn anything new, it will never be mentioned again and frankly is just here for shock value.
In the book, the victim was somebody else and the entire scene was part of Theon's plotline. Here however it hits Sansa, a character that at this point of the book/show generally gets stronger. Even in this episode she has quite a badass scene in which she deals with Ramsay's ex-gf. But the effect is quickly undermined by the final scene and Sansa essentially becomes a tool for Theon's plotline.
Not a particulary good thing to do or write since it undermines her development.

That said: I am not angry or anything because of it. It was unnessecary though.
Other stuff:
Spoiler
I really enjoyed the Tyrion/Mormont banter. They also vastly improved the King's Landing plotline, in particular by making Loras relevant to the events with the Sparrows (in the book he gets send away, injured and his sister leaves to be with him, taking them out of the picture).
What I didn't like so much are the events in the south. The weird coincidence that both parties reach the princess at the same time is a bit much. I can live with the change though, that Oberyn's paramour now leads the (only 3) sand snakes. In the books she tried to stay out of it to protect her children (who were playing in the water gardens).
I do want to see more Doran "Alexander Siddig El Faddil aka Dr. Julian Bashir) and Hotah though. Their scenes have been much too short.
I think the sex scene was necessary based on the story they made. Not the rape part, Sansa could have openly had sex for manipulative reasons and to show that Ramsay doesn't have a lot of power over her, but they made the story where Sansa marries him so obviously they needed to have sex. My problem is that they had to change Brienne's, Littlefinger's and Theons story to make this one part with Sansa work, which almost makes it seem like they had the idea for Sansa getting raped and really wanted to go forward with it. The episodes to come will show what we really got out of that scene.

I just kind of laughed all throughout the Dorne section this week, it just did not seem well done. Like you said, cheesy that both parties went to take Myrcella at the same time, and ridiculous that both parties could just walk on into the Water Gardens and there would be no gaurds for the prince and princess. Where is Arys Oakenheart, the Kingsgaurd they sent with Myrcella to Dorne back in season two?

We're nearing the end of the road now, four more episodes to go. I'm expecting Danny's Marriage to be in episode 7 so we should have pretty eventful episodes going forward.