Game of Thrones (contains serious, massive SPOILERS)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (May contain spoilers)

Post by Kong Wen »

Shoe, I agree, Kevan's small council scene was excellent. I also like how Grand Maester Pycelle is making disgruntled little jabs about that other charlatan being involved.

Kiwi, re: Littlefinger:
Spoiler
I think they massage his expectations and preferences fairly well, but it may just be because I've seen episodes 3 & 4, and I forget which scenes are in which episodes. I won't spoil anything, but I think he's still in-character.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:In regard to the Mance and Sansa storyline and after watching 5.2. and involving the later books.
Spoiler
While they may skip the magic part and send some other Wildlings to Winterfell instead, Littlefinger and Sansa may be involved with the Bolton's within this season.
In the books, Sansa's childhood friend was passed as her and married to Ramsay to secure the claim and take Winterfell, since this girl was never established though they may go with the real one instead (though it doesn't quite fit with Littlefinges preferences).
This is just an assumption right now, but there isn't much of Sansa's ark in the book that is left to tell.
Same spoiler content
Spoiler
I'm thinking that the whole Wildling/Mance role will be replaced entirely by Brienne and Podrick. If they're going to follow Sansa to Winterfell the show writers must have some plan for them that doesn't involve another failure. I don't think anyone will recognize the two beyond Sansa + LF, they must play a role in her rescue. What this leaves for Theon I'm not sure. It may work out similar since in the books once Stannis recieves Jeyne from Theon he plans to send her to Jon at the wall, so maybe that's where Sansa will go, but skip going to Stannis because Brienne hates Stannis.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Is anyone else simply disappointed that no one was topless in that last episode? Seriously!

Mrs. K and I bet on who will be every week and everyone lost!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:Is anyone else simply disappointed that no one was topless in that last episode? Seriously!

Mrs. K and I bet on who will be every week and everyone lost!
Haha me and my girlfriend do the same. but usually they have one or two episodes a season without nudity. After Episode one with Daenerys/Emilia Clarke covering herself up I'm thinking she's done with nudity, so I won't be predicting her anymore!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Soo.. after Ep: 5.3 I guess we won't see Penny, Pretty Pig and Crunch here....
Spoiler
..also no additional Targaryen.
I also wonder if/when the Greyjoy stuff, which basically opened up the books, happens. So far, Balon is still alive and no Kingmoot took place.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kiwi, I feel like this season is rushing through "big plot points" a bit more that previous seasons, especially the earliest ones. Part of this is because the books are less firm now that the show has caught up with them. But for this reason, I think there's still room for them to play with the two points you mentioned in your spoiler. I think they're going to want to have some of that extra narrative ammo up their sleeves for a season or two from now, to pad out future seasons.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

I agree.
They seem to have chosen only a few of the plotlines though, letting the others rest.
So far the Cersei-plotline is the most obvious rush attempt (the first scene in this season basically confimed that they want to focus on this).
But a lot of things may end up getting lost along the way.
E.g. I assume we won't be seeing
Spoiler
Quentyn "Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III" Martell (see if anybody gets the reference), who is relevant in Dany's plotline. I actually liked how his stuff played out in the books.
..either

Then again, a lot of the changes make things interesting for me, e.g. the Brienne/Sansa stuff (now with less Mance) and I guess the absence of a certain Lady S. may even keep the next book (if it ever happens) interesting to read.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:I guess the absence of a certain Lady S. may even keep the next book (if it ever happens) interesting to read.
I'm not fully convinced they've skipped that yet. It still seems important to me, even without all the peripheral stuff happening around it. And with the way they've supposedly split the narrative threads out a bit in the show, it seems like something that could be shifted to a future season (bundle it up with some more Greyjoy / Riverrun stuff).
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:
Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:I guess the absence of a certain Lady S. may even keep the next book (if it ever happens) interesting to read.
I'm not fully convinced they've skipped that yet. It still seems important to me, even without all the peripheral stuff happening around it. And with the way they've supposedly split the narrative threads out a bit in the show, it seems like something that could be shifted to a future season (bundle it up with some more Greyjoy / Riverrun stuff).
Worried about what is going to go down when Lady S. sees Theon...
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

So, I'm up to Ep 5.4 and...
Spoiler
I really like how they do a lot with Margaery and Tommen (who is barely old enough to walk/speak in the books).
Adding Lorras to the Sparrows plot was a good idea too, in the books he got send to take Dragonstone from Stannis remaining troops.