Game of Thrones (contains serious, massive SPOILERS)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Game of Thrones (contains serious, massive SPOILERS)

Post by Kreegs »

I thought there should be a thread to discuss Game of Thrones. Specifically season 5 and speculations, but other seasons as well. Because the title mentions there might be spoilers, we shouldn't have to put in the spoiler box over our text. I am posting this thread 3 hours before the season 5 premier in the United States. I am not sure how this show works with members who watch in other countries. (Canada has a version of HBO? Im pretty sure it does.)

If you are someone that sees a new episode before it legally airs (8pm central on HBO), please don't post any unfair spoilers for us.

Who among us watching this show? My wife and I love actually sitting down and watching a tv show live, since that really doesn't happen much anymore with the popularity of HBO2GO and DVRs. Is anyone signed up for the new HBO streaming service NBONow?

I am really excited for this season, as it has been announced that characters who do not die in the book series will die in the show!

What are you looking forward to? I will post my thoughts on tonight's episode on Monday nights to allow for the people to watch it that use HBO2GO.

Happy Game of Thrones-ing! :neon:
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (May contain spoilers)

Post by Kong Wen »

You should still use the spoiler tag because it's easy. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:You should still use the spoiler tag because it's easy. :)
If you insist... Just wanted to be extra careful so people didn't see things they weren't planning on...
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I got into the show last year when my girlfriend introdouced it to me, and now it's a pretty big thing amoung my group of friends.

I also just finished reading the books, A Song of Ice and Fire, which the show is based off of, about a month or two ago. So this season will be the first season I watch (and probably the last considering the next season will probably come out before the next book) where I know what should be happening. I also just finished rewatching the first four seasons about a week ago in anticipation of the new season.

I expect there will be a lot of changes this season, but at this point I'd honestly rather they go off the rails diverging to avoid spoiling content from the next two books :lol:

As for the first episode of the season that priemered yesterday, I thought it was solid. I'm not sure if it's just because I've read the books, but for a first episode, I felt like it didn't really show the aftermath of Tywin's death as well as the opener to season 4 showed the aftermath to the Red Wedding. Rather than opening up with the prophecy (or still doing that but following with this scene) I feel like it would have been more impactful to start with the scene immediately after Tyrion leaves and everyone in the Red Keep panicing over Tywin's death. Cersai being woken out of her bed in a panic to find out her father was dead would have worked better than going straight to the funeral. Would have worked as a way to keep the energy high for the first episode, and as a reminder to people that Tywin's death is a big deal.

I enjoyed the episode overall though. I thought the Unsullied/Sons of the Harpy scene was well done, it was good to see Brienne so soon, and I enjoyed seeing Kevan and Lancel returning to the show. The wall scenes were all good, I think they're completely skipping
Spoiler
offering Jon Winterfell and trading his Snow name for a true Stark name
, and I'm not sure what the plan will be with Davos at the wall.

You can't expect much from a first episode as they have a lot of catching up to do, but I thought it was a fine start.

EDIT: As for spoilers, I'd say everything from seasons 1-4 is fair game, as well as all officially released episodes. Spoilers for future episodes and book events should use spoiler tags.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I thought the episode was great! I liked opening with the prophecy and the reveal about who it was. I also thought the discussions between Varys and Tyrion were great—it's great to see Varys speaking honestly, and honouring Tyrion's talents.

Shoe, I don't necessarily think they're skipping what you think they're skipping, but I definitely think they're skipping: [book & Season 5 Episode 1 spoilers:]
Spoiler
The whole plotline with Mance. You know the one I mean. I think this is it for him in the show.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:I thought the episode was great! I liked opening with the prophecy and the reveal about who it was. I also thought the discussions between Varys and Tyrion were great—it's great to see Varys speaking honestly, and honouring Tyrion's talents.

Shoe, I don't necessarily think they're skipping what you think they're skipping, but I definitely think they're skipping: [book & Season 5 Episode 1 spoilers:]
Spoiler
The whole plotline with Mance. You know the one I mean. I think this is it for him in the show.
That for sure is something I think they're skipping,
Spoiler
since the actor for Mance isn't really the right actor to fufill that role, and the whole magic aspect of it is something I wasn't a huge fan of in the books either, and would be a little wonky on TV.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

In response to Shoe, continuing book and S5E1 spoilers:
Spoiler
I think the actor is perfect—perfect! And I'll be sad to see him go. But I think they're carving out some of the more redundant elements from the book, and instead of having this weird magical side-plot that Stannis's Red Woman has no real motivation for, it's easier just to use one of the other wildlings for all the stuff Mance is supposed to do later.
Also related to what Kiwi was posting about in the chat the other day: I thought it interesting that he thinks the religious aspects have been toned down for the show, because I think they've been quite present all along. It looks like they're really going to come to the forefront this season, with episode 1's focus on Stannis's fire lord party and Lancel in the capital.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:In response to Shoe, continuing book and S5E1 spoilers:
Spoiler
I think the actor is perfect—perfect! And I'll be sad to see him go. But I think they're carving out some of the more redundant elements from the book, and instead of having this weird magical side-plot that Stannis's Red Woman has no real motivation for, it's easier just to use one of the other wildlings for all the stuff Mance is supposed to do later.
Also related to what Kiwi was posting about in the chat the other day: I thought it interesting that he thinks the religious aspects have been toned down for the show, because I think they've been quite present all along. It looks like they're really going to come to the forefront this season, with episode 1's focus on Stannis's fire lord party and Lancel in the capital.
Spoiler
I think he's a really good actor, but I don't think he was a great mance. He did really well in the last episode, and he fits the role the show has made for him, but he doesn't fit book Mance. I do not see this actor sneaking into Winterfell under some master plan, this Mance is different. I doubt they'll use a wildling actually, I bet they'll just give Theon a little more use and have him save Sansa or something (since she seems to be going to Winterfell).
Yeah I think the show has kept the religious aspects have been well shown in the show. Season 3 focused a lot on the Lord of Light and you can see it continuing on this season, and last season ended with Bran and the Old Gods. Only one we're not seeing much of is the drowned God due to the lack of Greyjoy scenes beyond Theon.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Huge fan of the show, haven't/won't be reading the books though. I'll keep a glancing eye on the thread, but don't expect much participation from me. Kong's S5 E1 spoiler was already way too much information and I'm totally up to speed, so I gotta be careful. This is my most emotionally invested show by a long shot and I don't want to rob the show of its thrill.

Kong - no blame intended in the comment there, just using it as an example.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

VictorViper wrote:Huge fan of the show, haven't/won't be reading the books though. I'll keep a glancing eye on the thread, but don't expect much participation from me. Kong's S5 E1 spoiler was already way too much information and I'm totally up to speed, so I gotta be careful. This is my most emotionally invested show by a long shot and I don't want to rob the show of its thrill.

Kong - no blame intended in the comment there, just using it as an example.
Well feel free to pipe in on what you think of the new episodes and what you think might happen! :) I'll try to give the gist of what the spoiler will entail from now on.