Game of Thrones (contains serious, massive SPOILERS)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Game of Thrones (contains serious, massive SPOILERS)

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 06 May 2019 05:10 Did people enjoy this episode I did. Reddits shitting on it again which surprised me as I thought the episode was fantastic.
Reddit is Reddit, generally pretty dumb about stuff like this.
Slurmee wrote: 06 May 2019 05:10
Spoiler
JON YOU'RE THE MOST HORRIBLE CHARACTER EVER CERSEI, The Mad King, Joffery, Ramsay combined couldn't have done such a terrible thing in their wildest dream then how you treated Ghost.
Spoiler
Jon gave him deep snuggles all night the night before, and he knows Ghost would be instantly killed in the south. Tormund will be a good dogsitter, and Ghost loves running around in the snow finding bones to chew on.
Spoiler
I saw other complaints about the feast taking too long which I can understand but I enjoyed it still.
Dumb complaints. It was pretty good. It had a lot of work to do and it did several things without overstaying its welcome.
Spoiler
Cutting away while Bran explained Jons deal to the Starks sucked. My sister was glad as she didn't want to hear the story again but I generally wanted to know Sansa and Arya's reaction especially Arya whom was very close to Jon.
Spoiler
Your sister is correct from a formal perspective: it would have been superfluous to tell the story a fifth time. We did get to see Sansa's reaction at least. Sansa's character development has been great, and she keeps her own emotions close to her chest. The scene she has with Tyrion right after that is her emotional reaction to learning about Jon.
Spoiler
Cersei not killing Dany at the kings landing gate I found strange but I read someone saying that it could make Cersei look even worse if she did that so maybe she has other plans.
Spoiler
You read someone who almost has it right. It's less about Cersei not wanting to look even worse—as Tyrion said, the people hate Cersei already. It's more about making Dany look as bad as possible before the war ends. That's why she openly provoked her in that scene.
Spoiler
The scene was done really well even if Jon has no soul.
Spoiler
To be fair, he literally doesn't. He's undead.
Spoiler
Jaime x Brienne sex scene was weirdly cut away for game of thrones style otherwise everything else about their arc this episode was great especially Brienne crying at the end as Jaime left.
Spoiler
The idea that the show throws tits around whenever possible is a misconception / unserious meme joke. Jaime & Brienne's story arc doesn't require exploitation. It's been a slow and subtle development, and the payoff for the viewer is emotional.
Spoiler
The talk between Varys and Tyrion was up there in one of my favorite parts of the episode. Reminded me why I love Varys so much.
Spoiler
Yeah, this was great. I was wondering when Varys was going to get a chance to spider it up again instead of just being background dressing. What's interesting to me is that there were so many things Tyrion could have said to him but didn't... it really showed Tyrion's own internal hesitations without having to spout them. Good scene.
Spoiler
The ship part was done well. Don't understand why Dany was flying towards the ship like that made no sense.
Spoiler
Sure it did. She was pissed. She was flying around anyway and wheeled to see what was going on. She's used to being able to nuke whatever she wants. She thought better of it. Also, the Targaryen fleet should never sail anywhere—anywhere!—even back to Dragonstone. Euron has pulled that ambush before. Stay out of the water! I love how they remodeled the Scorpions to look like Kraken tentacles!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 06 May 2019 13:35 Reddit is Reddit, generally pretty dumb about stuff like this.
I forget this a lot
Kong Wen wrote: 06 May 2019 13:35
Spoiler
Jon gave him deep snuggles all night the night before, and he knows Ghost would be instantly killed in the south. Tormund will be a good dogsitter, and Ghost loves running around in the snow finding bones to chew on.
Spoiler
THEN SHOW ME THE SNUGGLES! But yeah Tormund and Ghost will be good companions. Dogs also get your chicks. Brienne is vulnerable :roll:
Spoiler
You read someone who almost has it right. It's less about Cersei not wanting to look even worse—as Tyrion said, the people hate Cersei already. It's more about making Dany look as bad as possible before the war ends. That's why she openly provoked her in that scene.
Spoiler
She did a fantastic job at it. Reddit has a post episode poll and one of the questions was if cersei made the right choice. It was the perfect choice it might even get Dany killed since she'll probably go into Mad King (Queen?) mode.
Spoiler
The scene was done really well even if Jon has no soul.
Spoiler
To be fair, he literally doesn't. He's undead.
FUCKING LOL
Spoiler
The idea that the show throws tits around whenever possible is a misconception / unserious meme joke. Jaime & Brienne's story arc doesn't require exploitation. It's been a slow and subtle development, and the payoff for the viewer is emotional.
Spoiler
I'm not saying there should have been boobs I'm saying we usually seeing humping and bed stuff. They basically kissed then cut away we saw more in the Arya cutscene. It didn't bother me it just shocked me.
Spoiler
Yeah, this was great. I was wondering when Varys was going to get a chance to spider it up again instead of just being background dressing. What's interesting to me is that there were so many things Tyrion could have said to him but didn't... it really showed Tyrion's own internal hesitations without having to spout them. Good scene.
Spoiler
He would make such a good king if he had the name. Think he's a pretty safe bet to not win it. Arya being probably the least likely.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah lots of negative feedback towards this episode. I thought it was a pretty standard episode of GOT. If you liked what they were doing in season 6-7, then I see this episode as being about the same. Episode was definitely drawn out too long though, should have just been an hour.
Spoiler
The dragon dying out of nowhere was pretty funny though.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Spoiler
Someone worked out the force the bolts must have been going to sink the ship like that and apparently they're 3 times as fast as the power from a rocket booster the Saturn V. Kinda funny how dumb that seems.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Spoiler
Really didn't like this one as much as last weeks.

Yeah so much happened that just made no sense
  • Why is the mountain so strong nothings explained he's basically kratos at this point. He got stabbed in the chest and was like meh. If he's that strong he'd survive that fall.
  • Jaime basically dying on the ground to basically running back to save Cersei. Like how? Nobody recovers that fast
  • Dany killing innocent people for no reason just completely ignores how her character has been for 8 seasons. She didn't even go after Cersei. She freed slaves a few seasons ago now she's killing everyone.
  • Jaime running back to Cersei ruined his character he became this good/evil character but they just completely had him go team cersei at the end.
  • So Jaime, Arya and Sandor just strolled into Kings Landing without anyone noticing them? Arya I can understand but the other two no way.
  • Eurone dies before hitting the water do way he makes it to short
  • Last week those bolts hit the dragons easily and Dany couldn't touch the ships. This week not a single hit and she just one man armies her way into a castle. Was cerseis plan only the bolts? Why suddenly can't they aim?
Other things I didn't like. Brans been useless and I don't see how he's going to get closure next week.
Jaime and Cersei death were boring
Arya's whole episode plot was just to have another view of the battlefield also she pulled a Jaime from basically dying to getting up totally fine multiple times.
Varys death sucked. It felt rushed. Compare it to Littlefingers. Littlefingers had a twist had him begging was drawn out for good effect. Vary wasn't even told what he did. Dany just trusted Tyrions word as the truth it felt strange I was waiting for the exciting moment (I thought he'd survive the fire and be a targarien) but just nothing.

The good
Cleganebowl fight was good despite no details on why the mountain is a god
I enjoyed all of the Jon stuff from the stare down to him realizing Varys was right to him failing at retreating and everything.
Visually it was great and I still enjoyed the episode just would rather someone actually have killed Jaime and Cersei
Episode 6 predictions
Spoiler
Danys fucked. I wonder if there's a way that she kills Jon and then rules badly as an ending but I just don't see that happening with the current writing. Terrified we won't see Tormund or Ghost again. Don't see Bran being resolved. Drogon has to die no idea how. I'm nervous and excited for this episode. It's basically Jon or Dany on the throne now. I think this will go down as the episode season of the show as I still feel like there's so much left to work out. Everything feels rushed. I think Episode 1/2 should have been Season 7 Episode 8, Episode 3 should have been Season 7 Episode 9, A proper wrap up to the NK S7E10. Then this whole cersei arc be Season 8 and a Jon/Dany arc at the back end of season 8 (with it being a 10 episode season) Nonetheless here's hoping it's good.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Spoiler
To clarify without Jaime's arc being ruined, Dany going super out of character and Cersei death kinda sucking I can live with the plot armor and Drogon surviving so easily. The plot of Dany going crazy is cool it just doesn't make sense.

I like liked the episode.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Spoiler
Gregor is a zombie, maybe Sandor should have tried Dragonglass ;)

Jaime's arc has been odd for the last few seasons, but I'd say in season 4 they abandoned the idea of him moving away from Cersei. Since then it's been him proving how much he loves her. This season I guess leaving made him realize being with Cersei is where he belongs. I don't think it's a good story, but it's consistent with what they've been doing with him.

I'd be pretty surprised if Dany doesn't die in the next episode.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Spoiler
I am happy with the episode. It's a nice, nasty twist and despite a lot of people complaining about it - this didn't come out of nowhere as she always had these impulses since her brother got his golden crown.
The show isn't exactly known for justice done and happy ends.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote: 13 May 2019 19:33
Spoiler
I am happy with the episode. It's a nice, nasty twist and despite a lot of people complaining about it - this didn't come out of nowhere as she always had these impulses since her brother got his golden crown.
The show isn't exactly known for justice done and happy ends.
Spoiler
I don't think it came out of nowhere, but that the motivations they've been building this season (and previous seasons) feel paper thin to me.

I do think it would have been really interesting if say, Rhaegal didn't die in the last episode. But instead we got to the moment with the bells this episode, the town has surrendered, Dany is contemplating her actions, and one of those Scorpion arrows blasts Rhagael (could even be from Euron).

It's in that moment that Dany decides to "burn them all". It would still be horrific on Dany's part, and everyone would still rightly accuse her of genocide, but we would have a better look into her motivations and feelings of "fuck this city". Plus having two dragons take down Euron's ships at the start of the battle would make more sense, the scorpion arrows would look less OP, and Rhageal wouldn't die in an anticlimactic way. Might also let the audience sympathize with Dany more when they kill her next episode, instead of right now things looking pretty black and white.

Just a thought.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I liked this clip someone put together, whether you find it to be ironic in a good way or bad :lol:

https://v.redd.it/gbms48po20y21

(S8E3 spoilers)