Splatoon

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Splatoon

Post by The Shoemaker »

Within its first 18 weeks on the market, Splatoon is now selling faster than Mario Kart 8 did in Japan.

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/24371 ... t-a-faster

I think the game is definitely more popular in Japan, but it's still awesome to see a new IP doing well, comparing in sales to Nintendo's biggest gun outside Pokemon. Of course it'll all depend on if the game keeps selling at this rate, but it's still encouraging.

In other news, last week the game got the Tri-Slosher. Has anyone given it a try? I haven't had the time, but I think it's a weapon I would like. Essentially a bucket with a wider spread. Might be harder because of the reduced range and damage (slightly), but it should be really effective in Turf Wars.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

New SplatNet web App lets you see when your friends are online, check your friends ranking and see what stages are currently in rotation:

https://splatoon.nintendo.net/

Doesn't seem up to date for me yet because I don't see the ranks of you guys. Kind of neat if you want to know what stages are up and what ranked mode is in rotation.

Also new Carbon Roller was released this week, have you tried it out Kreegs?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Holy shit guys, trislosher is where it's at. I don't know if it's just because it's splatfest, but I just consistently went like 9-0 in every single match in Turf War. It has a really good horizontal range so it's very easy to hit, and still for the most part kills in two shots. It doesn't shoot as far as the slosher, but because of its horizontal range you can focus less on where you want to paint and more on keeping your momentum going. The bubble special works really well because you can jump in and get your first hit, then bubble and get your second hit to kill. You take advantage of your close range to limit what your opponent can do. The bubble fills up really fast too so it's great to jump into the fray, jump out and paint, and get back in. I didn't use the disruptor too much, but I imagine that works in your favour for range as well.

I picked team airplane for today, but I had to stop because I need to study :p
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The Shoemaker wrote:New SplatNet web App lets you see when your friends are online, check your friends ranking and see what stages are currently in rotation:

https://splatoon.nintendo.net/

Doesn't seem up to date for me yet because I don't see the ranks of you guys. Kind of neat if you want to know what stages are up and what ranked mode is in rotation.

Also new Carbon Roller was released this week, have you tried it out Kreegs?
I havent had time to play for quite some time! Hopefully I can get back into it soon!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Splatoon is getting a big balance update October 20th, which changes a lot of mechanics. Some stages are getting minor changes again and a minor tweek in ranking, but the biggest change comes to the weapons: Almost every single weapon is getting altered in some way. Full list here

http://splatoon.nintendo.com/assets/med ... -notes.pdf

The biggest hit definitely comes to your weapon Kreegs, the Krakon Roller. Rollers are getting nerfed in that side hits no longer get 1 hit kills (need to actually hit within the radius of the roller), less damage on repeated swings and a few other things. The Krakon will also take more points to build up the special guage, and the rate of attack is slower and knockback increased. We'll see how much this all affects the rollers in general.

Blasters are getting a nerf where they no longer get one hit kills on their bursting effect. You have to hit the person directly, or just a little off to guarentee the one hit kill. Snipers are getting nerfed too.

I'm okay with all the changes. With that said, my N-zap got a buff in that you can move faster while shooting now. Slosher wasn't really changed at all. The Gals are indirectly affected due to Krakon's and Splash walls being nerfed.

Sounds like it will be a little more balanced now, but we might see an excess of N-Zaps and Splash O' Matics.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The Shoemaker wrote:Splatoon is getting a big balance update October 20th, which changes a lot of mechanics. Some stages are getting minor changes again and a minor tweek in ranking, but the biggest change comes to the weapons: Almost every single weapon is getting altered in some way. Full list here

http://splatoon.nintendo.com/assets/med ... -notes.pdf

The biggest hit definitely comes to your weapon Kreegs, the Krakon Roller. Rollers are getting nerfed in that side hits no longer get 1 hit kills (need to actually hit within the radius of the roller), less damage on repeated swings and a few other things. The Krakon will also take more points to build up the special guage, and the rate of attack is slower and knockback increased. We'll see how much this all affects the rollers in general.

Blasters are getting a nerf where they no longer get one hit kills on their bursting effect. You have to hit the person directly, or just a little off to guarentee the one hit kill. Snipers are getting nerfed too.

I'm okay with all the changes. With that said, my N-zap got a buff in that you can move faster while shooting now. Slosher wasn't really changed at all. The Gals are indirectly affected due to Krakon's and Splash walls being nerfed.

Sounds like it will be a little more balanced now, but we might see an excess of N-Zaps and Splash O' Matics.
So Nintendo is challenging me to step up my game... Game on!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

New Museum stage is pretty sweet. You have to climb up the rotating platforms and jump across to get into enemy territory. The rotating platforms also give lots of good flanking opportunities.

On a side note, it took me four matches before I was able to play the new stage, something really needs to be done about this 2 map rotation thing. But with that said, I got much better at Bluefish Depot (sp?) in the meantime. Just found out today that you can shoot people from up high as they're climbing up the side ramp towards each base. Makes for some good bait and trap scenarios.

Also, I tried out a walking speed + skill on my N-Zap 89, and it's awesome. You move so fast while shooting, especially since the weapon recieved a 12% boost in speed in the last update.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

So, I just bought Splatoon. Controls take a little getting used to.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

evildevil97 wrote:So, I just bought Splatoon. Controls take a little getting used to.
You'll master them in an hour or two. I really should play this some more.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

evildevil97 wrote:So, I just bought Splatoon. Controls take a little getting used to.
Yeah it's a different experience for sure. I (and most of the fanbase) find that motion controls are the best option for aiming. Eventually you'll get into the groove of shooting and squidding. Definitely try single player first, you'll get used to the controls easy.

For multiplayer, Tenetik Splattershot is a good early weapon, same with the Krak on Roller. Once you get used to the maps Turf War will be a little easier, and you'll be a little more used to looking down at the GamePad map to quickly check what's happening in the battle.