E3 Mega Thread 2015

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: E3 Mega Thread

Post by VictorViper »

TheGreatNads wrote:I'm pretty sure Destiny took a whole lot of money and time(over 4 years maybe) to develop. I doubt a big piece of DLC can even be compared. Seems like releasing a new game would be less economical.
Half a BILLION dollars, gentlemen. That's long-term money
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:
TheGreatNads wrote:I'm pretty sure Destiny took a whole lot of money and time(over 4 years maybe) to develop. I doubt a big piece of DLC can even be compared. Seems like releasing a new game would be less economical.
Half a BILLION dollars, gentlemen. That's long-term money
Yeah. They have a 10-year content strategy, of which Destiny 2 forms a very deliberate part. Full-game installments will feature fundamental/engine upgrades (vault space, maybe stuff like space combat, different settings, game modes, etc.). The DLC in the yearly cycle will mostly be additional content on the current platform (new raids, new gear, different mission modes using existing game mode templates, etc.).

Super Meat Boy on PS4!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Yeah, I seem to recall Activision or Bungie commenting that actual development costs weren't anywhere near that much and that the bulk of that figure went towards their long term strategy. Quite honestly, I think it's a great model - if a bit of a leap of faith, in an industry that's increasingly unable to support the lead times and dev costs of big AAA's.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Well it seems like most fans like it! Definitely seems like an addictive game and adding content just keeps it going.

E3 is getting closer and closer!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Another thing going on at E3, and this I don't want to miss, is 3 days of Street Fighter V play! I don't know what to expect from the tournament, given almost none of the people involved have played SFV, but it should be entertaining. Schedule here: http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2015/ju ... -schedule/
VictorViper wrote:Yeah, I seem to recall Activision or Bungie commenting that actual development costs weren't anywhere near that much and that the bulk of that figure went towards their long term strategy. Quite honestly, I think it's a great model - if a bit of a leap of faith, in an industry that's increasingly unable to support the lead times and dev costs of big AAA's.
God damn. I had never heard the $500 million figure before. I googled it, and apparently the figure comes from a statement from Kotick. A person at Bungie did say that the game development costs were nowhere near that amount and did say how that figure "speaks a lot more to the long-term investment that we're making in the future of the product." However, he also said he didn't know the marketing/advertising figures, since Activision handled that. I know marketing costs for AAA games are huge, so who knows what the real figure is. Obviously other things like manufacturing and the like are not likely to be known by people at Bungie either. But clearly a crazy amount of money has been invested in Destiny. I wasn't even thinking of numbers like $500,000,000 when I made that statement.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Another thing, Nintendo is having a Smash Bros Direct this Sunday morning to kick off E3. They'll be showing Lucas, Miiverse stage and presumably other DLC they've been working on. Nintendo World Campionships is that day as well. Interesting that they had a mini direct a week ago, now this Smash Direct. They must be saving something good for their actual Digital Event.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Any new updates? News and pictures from Bethesda?
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Here some links for tonights pressers to get started

MS http://www.twitch.tv/xbox today 6:30 PM CET
EA http://www.twitch.tv/ea today 10:00 PM CET
Ubi http://www.twitch.tv/ubisoft tomorrow 0:00 PM CET
Sony http://www.twitch.tv/playstation tomorrow 4:00 AM CET
SE http://www.twitch.tv/SquareEnixPresents tomorrow 7:00 PM CET

There will also be a Nintendo Direct (tomorrow 6 PM CET) and a PC-focussed event (the day after tomorrow 3 AM CET), not by a single company at the end.
Don't have links to those at hand right now.
Edit:
PC Event http://www.twitch.tv/twitch (tomorrow 3 AM CET)

Beth's most interesting stuff imo was the FO4 gameplay

And the Dishonored 2 announcement
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Geez, I guess I better play Dishonored.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kong Wen wrote:Geez, I guess I better play Dishonored.
They announced a Dishonored collection for current gen aswell.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!