GOG Galaxy

A place to discuss PC gaming, including software, client platforms such as Galaxy, Origin, Steam, and Uplay, and hardware like Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

GOG Galaxy

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Anyone tried this client from GOG.com? It's still in beta, but I just installed it to see what I can do with. First of, I was unpleasently surprised I couldn't choose a destination folder for the client to install. But then again, Steam was the same so I let the installation continue. Second surprise was the in client destination folders for downloads, extras and game content that I couldn't change at all. It's either an external drive or the predefined folder that is not bound to a user (mind you: Mac version!). Untill this gets fixed, I won't download/install games with the client ..

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this client?
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: GOG Galaxy

Post by Kong Wen »

I haven't tried it yet, and if I do, it will be on my PC (my laptop is becoming less and less suitable for gaming as the years wear on). It'll be nice if they can get the kinks worked out, but that's what a beta is for. GOG has a loyal enough following that they should be able to collect good feedback like yours over the course of their testing.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
liu yuante
Aspirant

Re: GOG Galaxy

Post by liu yuante »

Been using GoG Galaxy for while, I have 40+ games purchased from them over the years. Granting that the OP is 4 months old, and that I'm using a PC, I didn't have any issues with setting my own download folders for game installs, extras, installer files, etc. It can be a bit buggy sometimes, and certainly isn't as feature-rich as Steam, but it also doesn't give me the "useless, why do you even have this?" vibe that UPlay and Origin give off. But that's probably because those two are publisher-specific and so not really useful for keeping games organized. Steam and Galaxy combine to form a good picture/reminder of just how very many games I have yet to play/complete.