Planning for a TONe Meet

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Planning for a TONe Meet

Post by Kong Wen »

:neon: <3 :neon: <3 :neon:

Hey everyone! We floated this idea back when we originally established the site, because of what a tight-knit community we have here (which is frankly the only reason we survived to set this new place up), but I thought now would be a good time to start advance planning.

Basically, the goal would be to have some kind of casual party / meet-up involving as many interested people from the forum as possible. There may not be many people who are interested in doing this, for a variety of reasons, and that's cool. A handful of us have already met up. It would be interesting to at least have an opportunity to chill and chat and help make TONe feel "real".

The purpose of this thread is really just to start very preliminary advance planning: who would be interested, where could this take place, and when?

I'm thinking sometime in Summer 2016 would be best, to give everyone time to plan, book vacation, save some money, etc.

Friends, family, and significant others are all welcome as well! Think of it as a chill little vacation.

Feel free to chime in if you'd be interested in making something like this happen. I'll post some more ideas if this picks up any steam.

FEEDBACK SO FAR

NAMES

Spore has proposed "This Old Ne-Con"

DATES

January, April, July, October don't work well for Sharecrow
September works well for Kong Wen, but other dates are OK too
July-August are better for Kreegs (July conflicts with Sharecrow)

PLACES

Spore suggests Ilha das Flores, Azores
Kong Wen suggests Toronto, Chicago, or Las Vegas
Han Solo prefers Toronto
Kreegs prefers Minneapolis-St. Paul, but anywhere cheap will work (MSP is also about as far as Shoe would be willing to go)

PEOPLE

Kong Wen, Sharecrow, Spore, VictorViper have expressed interest depending on cost and timing
neuzd, Slurmee, and Turai are out
pdSlooper is probably out
Claytone, Han Solo, and Kreegs might be in depending on cost and timing
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Planning for a TONe Meet

Post by VictorViper »

I'm in, and I agree summer or perhaps fall 2016 seems like good timing for it.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

This is a great idea! However, our fine community is fairly well split by the Atlantic ocean, that's why I think we should take steps to distribute the travel distances somewhat evenly. I put forth the following suggestion:

Thoughts?
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Hell, if that's the goal, this west-coast mofo suggests MAUI.

Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I think this is an awesome idea. I also won't exactly be rolling in money or free time in Summer 2016, since I'll just be finishing up my undergrad, but I've already met two of the three other people in this thread so far, so I'm probably in the best position to miss it. :D

In any case, I think it's a great idea. Just don't know how many other opinions I should voice since I probably can't make it.
You got BOOST power!
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Once we get the airship this'll be a lot easier. I texted Cid but he hasn't responded. I may send out a messenger Chocobo to try to figure out what's going on.

I may be able to. It's more of a question of where and when for me than it is for logistics. Avoid the first months of quarters as, unless I do a huge change in the nature of my work, it's safe to assume I'd be too busy with work crap. Keep me posted and I'll keep an eye on this thread too.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:I think this is an awesome idea. I also won't exactly be rolling in money or free time in Summer 2016, since I'll just be finishing up my undergrad, but I've already met two of the three other people in this thread so far, so I'm probably in the best position to miss it. :D

In any case, I think it's a great idea. Just don't know how many other opinions I should voice since I probably can't make it.
Let's say Summer/Fall. Now's the time to start squirreling away some time and money to make it work. :) Actually, this is exactly what this thread is for: figuring out dates and locations. If Summer 2016 is not the best time for you, what about September?

Honestly, September probably works best for me. Either that, or earlier in the summer, which is probably tougher for other people.

As far as location, the cost to nearly any destination in North America will probably be similar for anyone who actually wants to come from Europe. Bigger, central cities are probably better to avoid stop-overs, etc. I'm thinking Toronto, Chicago, and Las Vegas are probably good options.

Share, what are the first months of quarters, to help us narrow the calendar down? Also, if it's a question of where, what's in and what's out for you?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:
Claytone wrote:I think this is an awesome idea. I also won't exactly be rolling in money or free time in Summer 2016, since I'll just be finishing up my undergrad, but I've already met two of the three other people in this thread so far, so I'm probably in the best position to miss it. :D

Let's say Summer/Fall. Now's the time to start squirreling away some time and money to make it work. :) Actually, this is exactly what this thread is for: figuring out dates and locations. If Summer 2016 is not the best time for you, what about September?

Honestly, September probably works best for me. Either that, or earlier in the summer, which is probably tougher for other people.

As far as location, the cost to nearly any destination in North America will probably be similar for anyone who actually wants to come from Europe. Bigger, central cities are probably better to avoid stop-overs, etc. I'm thinking Toronto, Chicago, and Las Vegas are probably good options.

Share, what are the first months of quarters, to help us narrow the calendar down? Also, if it's a question of where, what's in and what's out for you?
I mean like July or October probably wouldn't be possible. Well, January or April either for that matter. As far as location, I can be flexible there though I should say that larger cities would make it an easier sell to my boss (meaning wife). So those you've mentioned all sound fine.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Spore wrote:This is a great idea! However, our fine community is fairly well split by the Atlantic ocean, that's why I think we should take steps to distribute the travel distances somewhat evenly. I put forth the following suggestion:

Thoughts?
Literally on the other side of the world to me...

I'd love a trip to North America but can't really get up and leave australia currently.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I will go anywhere, any time. My main concern is ensuring we get maximum turnout. Kong's suggestion of Toronto, Chicago or Vegas seems pretty good to me, geographically. But again, you guys have suggestions, please voice 'em!

Although Clay's right. We already met so that's more than enough of him for me. ;)

[EDIT] One point worth mentioning, having the meet in the US would make things considerably cheaper for the US folks without really making a big difference for others. Something to consider.