Planning for a TONe Meet

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Planning for a TONe Meet

Post by Kong Wen »

Revisiting this and consolidating feedback.

DATES: So far, it seems like the best time is August 2016. (July doesn't work for Sharecrow, and September doesn't work for Kreegs.) Might not work for everyone.

LOCATIONS that have been put forward so far are Toronto, Chicago, Las Vegas, and Minneapolis. I whipped up a quick and dirty estimate of flight costs from various cities to these locations just using Expedia and picking the 2nd or 3rd cheapest option (trying to ignore outliers):

These are obviously very rough and very subject to change. Nothing too surprising here. Las Vegas works for the west, and Chicago looks generally best for the east. (On a whim, I checked flights from Hamburg, and their cheapest option is to Toronto, around $1500-1900.)

Based on these results, I'm going to suggest removing Toronto and Minneapolis from the location pool. The people most affected by this would be Shoe (prefers to stay in Canada—Vegas and Chicago will both only cost you an extra $90), Han (lives in Toronto area so it would be supercheap), and Kreegs (lives in Minneapolis so it would be supercheap—at least Minneapolis seems to have cheap flights to everywhere else!).

We'll worry about accommodations later on.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Chicago would be really easy for me. I could even drive, but I don't think I'd want to have a car with me. It would be very likely for me to go to Chicago.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Drauks
Aspirant

Post by Drauks »

Color me intrigued (especially since I wasn't able to get in on that SoSZ meetup so long ago). Chicago would be the easiest for me, but I should have my passport well before next August, and I'd always wanted to see Canoodia.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

This obviously died because
no one could commit to specifics at the time.
Let's start planning in advance again,
in the hopes that we can agree to something.

People are talking about Vegas again as a destination. It's a good multipurpose destination because there's lots to see and do (Vegas Golden Knights, Love, Penn & Teller) and a lot of people individually want to go there anyway. Two birds with one neon rock.

Spring would be an ideal time because we could hit a late-season hockey game before the weather in Vegas becomes dangerous to the ice-heavy Canadian constitution. The downside is it could be tough to fit into a teacher's schedule unless we make it a packed weekend.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

You should all come to Melbourne :) Totally the most convenient location. Only a short flight for KawaiiPikachu and then like a 24 hour flight for everyone else :)

Vegas sounds fun though.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I'm up for Vegas. I'm also up for a weekend whirlwind if it means more can join. Vegas isn't really a place for long stays anyway, IMO.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote: 12 Dec 2017 15:51 I'm up for Vegas. I'm also up for a weekend whirlwind if it means more can join. Vegas isn't really a place for long stays anyway, IMO.
I agree with you. Possible itinerary:

Friday: fly in, grab some food, catch a Knights game or a show (whatever's late enough)
Saturday: gamble, check out the strip, hit up whatever game/show we didn't do the night before
Sunday: brunch, fly back in time for work the next day

If we can pick a long weekend with a holiday or something attached, we could add an extra buffer day, although that might make travel more hectic.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Kong Wen wrote: 12 Dec 2017 15:56
VictorViper wrote: 12 Dec 2017 15:51 I'm up for Vegas. I'm also up for a weekend whirlwind if it means more can join. Vegas isn't really a place for long stays anyway, IMO.
I agree with you. Possible itinerary:

Friday: fly in, grab some food, catch a Knights game or a show (whatever's late enough)
Saturday: gamble, check out the strip, hit up whatever game/show we didn't do the night before
Sunday: brunch, fly back in time for work the next day

If we can pick a long weekend with a holiday or something attached, we could add an extra buffer day, although that might make travel more hectic.
Vegas is hectic. And the flights are short. A long weekend would be ideal but also pricier, I fear. Side note: you missed the pinball museum.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote: 12 Dec 2017 17:35 Vegas is hectic. And the flights are short. A long weekend would be ideal but also pricier, I fear. Side note: you missed the pinball museum.
Good point. I forgot most of this crowd would be into that. It's a glorious place. It's also the perfect place for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon visit. Definitely easy to fit in even with packed evening schedules.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Any thoughts on lodging? Obviously those willing to bunk with another (or two) could save substantial amounts of money. Although if Vegas lodging prices are subsidized like their airfare, it might not even really be a big deal.
You got BOOST power!