Dragon Quest Heroes

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Dragon Quest Heroes

Post by Kong Wen »

Square Enix, Tecmo Koei, and Omega Force are part of the announcement of Dragon Quest Heroes, an upcoming PS3 & PS4 action game to be released in 2015 in Japan, with a North American date possibly to follow.

It looks like a Musou / Warriors game, but in some ways it doesn't, and the word doesn't get used in the trailer. TheGreatNads speculates that it could be something along the lines of Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, which uses the Musou engine for a different kind of action RPG experience, and I think an "engine spinoff" is likely as well.

A couple things interest me about this, beyond the obvious opportunity to play a Dragon Quest game from Omega Force. One is Square Enix and Koei working together. It's too bad they didn't hook up earlier, because Omega Force could have made those atrocious Dissidia games into something worth playing. Two is Dragon Quest coming back to Sony (on consoles, no less!)—I'd love to see Dragon Warrior VII get a PSOne Classics release, or an HD remaster of Dragon Quest VIII. Obviously, a proper non-MMO next-gen entry in the main series would be incredible. Three is this hilarious special edition PS4 that'll be released alongside the game:

Sweet "Metal Slime" edition. This is unlikely to leave Japan, though. :( I'd love a slimy silver controller.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: Dragon Quest Heroes

Post by Sharecrow »

This looks interesting but it doesn't look like something I'm going to get. I have plenty of options for action games where I wouldn't need (or necessarily want) one that shares a brand with a turn-based RPG series that I love. Just doesn't work for me ;b

I agree that an HD remake of Dragon Quest VIII would be amazing and I would buy it day one for sure. I'd probably even start playing it on day one. Dragon Warrior VII as a PSOne Classics I would likely also buy even though I'd have mixed feelings about it. It is such dope and a huge time sink for me - it would totally derail my playing things that I don't already have 300 hours in.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

There is supposedly going to be an on-stage demo of this game at the next Tokyo Game Show, on the 17th maybe?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The metal slime is actually a USB cover (no word on whether it's a functioning USB drive that only fits PS4s, heh), and it's actually quite shiny:

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

TheGreatNads wrote:There is supposedly going to be an on-stage demo of this game at the next Tokyo Game Show, on the 17th maybe?
There was, and here it is:

Gameplay footage!

That's a LOT of enemies on-screen at once! And Slimes!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Dragon Quest Warriors

Post by Kong Wen »

Paging Sharecrow and probably Nads.

Dragon Quest Warriors is coming to PS4 on 13 October. Check out this slimy collector's edition! Hahaha. This game is going to be goofy as hell, but as an avowed Dynasty Warriors and most-of-the-time Dragon Quest fan, I'll definitely be checking it out.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Dragon Quest Warriors

Post by Kong Wen »

Hey Kiwi, look, we have a thread for this! :)

I've just started playing this game again after Kiwi mentioned playing/beating? it last week. It's very polished! Better than I was expecting for a Warriors spin-off. I'll post more when I've seen more.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

I haven't beaten it yet.
It gets a bit repetitive after a while, though it gradually adds new monsters to the fray.
So far, it's the boss fights that I like the most about it. They feel very unique and fresh. Possibly because the average Dynasty Warriors doesn't have any of those.
I dislike the resource stuff since crafting is boring, inventory management becomes a pain in the arse due to inventory space limits that make no sense (seriously, if you have 10 or 99 cowpats in the list shouldn't matter) and money is useless.

Minimedals as sole currency would have done the job, combined with a proper crafting system (e.g. like DQ9, that was great).
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!