Massive Chalice

A place to discuss PC gaming, including software, client platforms such as Galaxy, Origin, Steam, and Uplay, and hardware like Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Massive Chalice

Post by Kong Wen »

Massive Chalice was officially released a few weeks ago (it was previously available in an early/pre-release version), and it's already getting a 50% Midweek Madness discount on Steam.

It's a multi-generational/dynastic strategy game. I'm interested in it, and to be honest I'll probably snag it for $10, but I'm not completely convinced by the depth of content yet. I'm hoping there's some real tactical depth beyond just fighting the same enemies on the same maps. I suppose we shall see!

Has anyone else picked up this game? I know at least one other person here (Forscyvus?) was a Kickstarter backer. It also seems like a game Niahak might have tried out.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Re: Massive Chalice

Post by Forscyvus »

Yeah I kickstarted it. I actually haven't gotten around to playing much, but my hope for it has dwindled. From what I gather online the combat just isn't all that deep. Having only three classes and no interesting physical system (cover, etc) kind of makes it hard to get into I think.

However it's really a pretty game (aside from the character faces [shudder]). I'll probably give it a good run or two at some point.
lol hello
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Forscyvus wrote:From what I gather online the combat just isn't all that deep. Having only three classes and no interesting physical system (cover, etc) kind of makes it hard to get into I think.
Ah, that was what I feared. That's not to say that it's not possible to have engaging tactics with limited options, and maybe the breeding/generational gameplay is more interesting, but every time I see a grid I get hopeful for some great epic combat. The kind our kids will write stories about!
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

Kong Wen wrote:
Forscyvus wrote:From what I gather online the combat just isn't all that deep. Having only three classes and no interesting physical system (cover, etc) kind of makes it hard to get into I think.
Ah, that was what I feared. That's not to say that it's not possible to have engaging tactics with limited options, and maybe the breeding/generational gameplay is more interesting, but every time I see a grid I get hopeful for some great epic combat. The kind our kids will write stories about!
I definitely think it has some interesting ideas in the macro game with bloodlines. There are a few neat things like enemies that don't hit your characters' heath but their age. Again, not that the combat is /bad/ per se, it's just not all that complex and the classes don't have many cool synergies, but again that's secondhand reviewing.
lol hello
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Massive Chalice is currently on sale for like $5, if you're interested and haven't had a chance to try it out yet.