Satoru Iwata

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Satoru Iwata

Post by Kong Wen »

Hi everyone. I know we already got most of this out in the chat and on various social media over the last couple of days, but Satoru Iwata was an industry giant, and I wanted to make sure we had a place here on the forums where we could post messages respecting his legacy and his passing.

RIP Satoru Iwata (1959-2015)

Please feel free to share any messages or fond memories you have.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: Satoru Iwata

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Didn't know much about him before this, I've only seen him in the view Directs that I actually watched. Yes, he was the 'boss' at Nintendo .. but I didn't know about his programming past. Great man.

Yesterday I responded to a tweet by Shinesparkers to play Balloon Trip (mode in the Balloon Fight game) and post a game over screen on MiiVerse. Never really played that game before (other than NES Remix) and I also never posted a screenshot on MiiVerse before, but it was worth the little time I had to spend for it.

This is about the last I'll probably post regarding Iwata's passing. Only hope Nintendo can find a good replacement.
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I shared this in the chat yesterday because I like this kind of thing. Iwata wasn't just a figurehead, but was a legit coder who rose through the ranks because of his impact on the company. Four times Iwata was a programming badass. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy who stayed interested in the games. He was a good "face of the franchise" type guy, which is seldom possible for a suit to accomplish.

Interesting to hear about that Balloon Trip MiiVerse tribute, Merlin. Sounds like a nice gesture.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

For those interested: MiiVerse Balloon Trip gesture

Balloon Fight was one of the ambassador NES games I got on my 3DS.

The article you linked to only tells only part of Iwata's legacy, he's done so much more as you can piece together with all articles that have been written in the past few days. Cutting his paycheck at Nintendo so that the developers didn't have to worry about being fired is maybe a more recent action that shows how close he was with developers.
Grt. Merlin

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Watching him on the directs was super enjoyable. He would looks like a total professional, but still goof around sometimes!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:The article you linked to only tells only part of Iwata's legacy, he's done so much more as you can piece together with all articles that have been written in the past few days. Cutting his paycheck at Nintendo so that the developers didn't have to worry about being fired is maybe a more recent action that shows how close he was with developers.
Of course. That was a great gesture, but it didn't have anything to do with programming. I like the article I posted because it focused on his past career as a coder, who knew his stuff! He worked in the nuts and bolts of creating old Nintendo games before he moved on to become a corporate figure. That doesn't mean his actions as a businessman are any less important, of course. I just think people's roots tend to get obscured sometimes in situations like this.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I loved that he understood creating games so well. Hopefully Nintendo manages to replace him with someone just as enveloped in game development.

I will miss his awkward Nintendo Direct presentations.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kurachi

Post by Kurachi »

i was surprised there was no topic, so yeah, here i am, haha

anyway, that was mr nintendo basically... and 55 years old!!!
we need a smiley with his face on it, we need a game with him, we need an amiibo.... oh yea, they may create that now, i read on facebook

nintendo was basically my childhood, and after that accident i talked about, nintendo games saved me from having a bad life without distractions
my life was a hell already, but playing their games made me go on
nowadays i'd like to play many games again, but pirces went up and wii died, they now put many games (not all NES and SNES games due to copyrights) on the wii u and 3DS (which i dont care about), but i guess i can still play my wii and watch many games i never was good at (castlevania games and such) on youtube :D

i miss the old nintendo, where we had a controller and used the arrows to move, and all the stuff of the game was on 1 screen, the TV screen that is

but i can still play many old games, and i will, they wont ever completely be the past :)

rest in peace and go to dreamland, mr Iwata, and you'll stay in our hearts

ps. sry if i dont make sense at some point, i have headaches lately, not normal, and doctor is on vacation, so cant visit him for a month or so
all i do is take asperines and drink alot of water

have fun with your nintendo games :D

btw, i did get a few tears out of me when reading about him, and that he even used his own money to get nintendo far, a true man for a good company
lets hope his replacement will be at least almost as good

even though i may not buy anything new from nintendo anymore, i still follow nintendo topics sometimes

my favorite nintendo times were at the SNES, and my favorite game was, and still is, "secret of mana" (wish wii had secret of evermore and seiken densetsu 3 on its virtual console, i'd use my wii alot more if that was true)

anyway, gonna rest some now, cya all, and good luck with this loss, enjoy your time

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESq27B9YI4Q

sums up my feelings about nintendo :D
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Don't worry we can always understand you Kurachi!

I'll miss the Iwata Asks, those were always interesting interviews from the developers.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

The day he died, it didn't really hit me. The next day I was kind of sad though. This guy was pretty young, but on the other hand there is so much that he accomplished. I also kind of liked listening to his comments on Iwata Asks or seeing him on Directs or whatever. I'm not too familiar with big names in the Industry, but I did definitely know about Iwata, Miyamoto and Sakurai at the very least. One of Nintendo's definite greats has fallen.