Odin Sphere

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Odin Sphere

Post by Kong Wen »

Remember this Vanillaware PS2 game? Apparently, they're making an HD remaster for PS3, PS4, and Vita, to be released in Japan in early 2016. In addition to the graphical updates, they're also planning on making some gameplay changes and adding new content.

This is a platforming RPG (with more RPG elements than Vanillaware's more recent Dragon's Crown). Some common complaints were that it was too difficult, or too repetitive. It'll be interesting to see whether this new version addresses those issues.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Re: Odin Sphere

Post by Jordan »

I have it on PSN, but to be honest I couldn't get into it. It doesn't really feel like much of a platformer to be honest. It feels more like a very technical beat em up rpg or action rpg. A lot of people really adore the game, but it just wasn't for me.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Yeah, I think there tends to be a big difference between straight platformers and platforming-RPGs. Usually the latter don't derive their challenge from actual platforming, it's just shorthand to describe how the player moves around the game world.

Dragon's Crown and Muramasa: The Demon Blade lean even more heavily on the side of beat 'em ups.

I picked up Odin Sphere on PS2 riiiight at the end of that system's life cycle and I barely played it before getting side-tracked by the shiny new PS3. Didn't play enough to even really figure out if I liked it or not. I don't know if that's a good sign.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I've never heard of a platforming RPG before. I can only guess it's 2D?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons