BATTLETECH

A place to discuss PC gaming, including software, client platforms such as Galaxy, Origin, Steam, and Uplay, and hardware like Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

BATTLETECH

Post by Kong Wen »

The team behind the recent Shadowrun revival are preparing a Kickstarter campaign this fall to bring back one of my favourite old PC properties: BATTLETECH! This site claims that the creator of the original BattleTech and MechWarrior will be back at the helm.

I'll have to keep an eye on this. Who else loves classic turn-based mech tactics? Paging DoctorAllosaurus?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: BATTLETECH

Post by VictorViper »

I only played the tabletop version, surprisingly. If it's indeed going to be turn-based, I'm VERY interested.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

Kong Wen wrote:The team behind the recent Shadowrun revival are preparing a Kickstarter campaign this fall to bring back one of my favourite old PC properties: BATTLETECH! This site claims that the creator of the original BattleTech and MechWarrior will be back at the helm.
OK, you have my attention. There aren't nearly enough Western tactical RPGs out there, and I've always liked the BattleTech universe.

I'd also like a new MechWarrior game that isn't shit, incidentally.

Rob
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pluvius wrote:I'd also like a new MechWarrior game that isn't shit, incidentally.
This seems like it would be the mech-lover's holy grail. I'm right there with you. I always have some hope for mech action combat games but they always end up disappointing. What was the last good one?
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

This is highly contentious, but I had a ton of fun in Chromehounds (FROM/Sega). Enough so that I'd love to see a new one.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:This is highly contentious, but I had a ton of fun in Chromehounds (FROM/Sega). Enough so that I'd love to see a new one.
It is available on XBLA or Games on Demand, or would I have to hunt down a retail copy?
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

It was a launch title with 360, so unless it made it to GoD, you'll need to find a retail copy. Not sure it would be worth a look now, though. Much of the fun came from online play.

Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

You'd be better off with the Armored Core games, which are made by the same people and are more SP oriented. The last AC game came out a lot more recently than Chromehounds too, so it probably still has an online community.

Rob
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pluvius wrote:You'd be better off with the Armored Core games, which are made by the same people and are more SP oriented. The last AC game came out a lot more recently than Chromehounds too, so it probably still has an online community.
I picked the latest one up via PS+ for something like $5, and from my understanding, the online community was almost already dead shortly after launch. I've also heard there's a massive learning curve, but I'm not opposed to trying it out.

That said, I'm still way more interested in the turn-based tactical side of things.
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

It may be off-topic but this discussion, paired with my recent impulse of hoarding board games (that I'll never play) + painting miniatures, urged me to go and buy the real deal: http://bg.battletech.com/books/introductory-products/

Me and my childhood friends were terribly fascinated by the scenario and detail of such a game: up until then, robots for us meant mostly super-heroistic all powerful machines, and Battletech was the first instance in which we saw them interpreted as realistic war machines of the near future.
Sadly we were a bit scared by (and definitely unprepared for) the strategic component of the game, as we were just discovering the freedom of classic role playing games (we were mostly compelled to kick the bad-guy-of-the-week's ass and go in a tavern to hit on the maids), so we never succeeded in playing it seriously.