Windows 10

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Windows 10

Post by Kong Wen »

You could always use Google Docs for your word processing. Not sure if they have an equivalent for Powerpoint. I also know that doesn't really answer your question.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:You could always use Google Docs for your word processing. Not sure if they have an equivalent for Powerpoint. I also know that doesn't really answer your question.
Google docs is okay, it's not great for proper spacing and all that, I mean worse case I write something up on docs and fix it up on a computer at school.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

There's not much reason to upgrade to 10 if you don't need to. It's a bit better at managing computer resources so it runs nicer, and some people might like the aesthetic more. In the future it will also be the only OS that can run DirectX 12 which might make some games exclusive to it. As for alternatives to Office products, I use Libre Office which is a leaner fork of Open Office.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I still use office 2007 haha. I'm sure you could find that somewhere very cheaply.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Trying out Libre Office that Spore recommended, seems pretty good!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:Microsoft is telling me I can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. My question is, is there any reason I wouldn't want to?

I don't use any external hardware with my laptop, no USB mouse, USB drives or anything like that. The only non-microsoft software I use is itunes, Steam, Google Chrome and Skype. I can only assume all of those will work with Windows 10.

The only concern I have about upgrading (beyond the normal concerns of being an early adopter) is what will happen to my Office software. I use Powerpoint and Word, both the free versions with limited access. The limited access doesn't bother me because I only need to view powepoints, not create them, and the limited word is enough for me to write my papers. I'm not sure if Microsoft offers the free versions of these anymore and I'd rather not purchase them, so if I upgrade will I lose the software?
Unfortunally I not too sure on Microsoft office thou but there are reasonable alternatives like OpenOffice & ApacheOffice that you could try.
edit
Didn't realized there was another page to this thread with everyone making pretty much the same suggestions.
Oh well at least I tried.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"