favorite video game websites?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

favorite video game websites?

Post by pdSlooper »

What are your favorite video game websites? I'm looking for some new sites to browse through. Here's a few from me:

-- The Cutting Room Floor -- A wiki dedicated to logging the unused content of video games. Images, maps, text, etc., that appear in the game data but not in the playable game. A fun time waster.
-- Hardcore Gaming 101 -- They have a lot of really interesting articles
-- Legends of Localization -- In-depth analysis about the translations of specific games, plus smaller posts answering reader questions about translations. Possibly my favorite site.
-- Lost Levels -- Not updated anymore, sadly, although their facebook receives posts. Articles about games that never made it to market.
-- TV Tropes -- Not strictly a video game website, a gamer can nonetheless lose days on this site. Look up your favorite game or series, and follow the links. Probably the best known of these websites?
-- Unseen 64 -- Similar to Lost Levels but more comprehensive, contains articles and media for cancelled & beta video games.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: favorite video game websites?

Post by The Shoemaker »

My favourite is This Old Neon! :neon:

I like GoNintendo.com for my Nintendo news. It's updated constantly with all sorts of Nintendo related news, from big name to indie. For Nintendo enthusiasts only I'd say, based on the abundance of content.

I don't use too many other sites honestly, when I'm looking up information I'll usually just use a google search and use gamefaqs or a random wiki if I need help in a game.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

NintendoLife.com is still my main site for Nintendo news, specifically for the weekly eShop releases and their reviews. GameFaqs.com is also on my list for older games reviews and faqs (and I add games to my account there). Next to those two, I visit some IP specific sites and fora (metroid-database.com and ascensiongame.com mostly). Then there is another not so old site I visit once in a while, but I usually just visit their forum for keeping track of games and set some online game times ... :roll:

Older sites I used to visit in the past are no longer around or I just stopped visiting them because they weren't interesting to me anymore.
Grt. Merlin

pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

-- Replacementdocs -- An archive of manuals.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Rydia, you're knocking these out of the park! Some great sites included in there. I've found I don't really visit a lot of game-related sites directly. I mostly follow a lot of people and companies on Twitter and then land on them from my feed. Here are a few that I check regularly, though:
  • This Old Neon - This goes without saying, I suppose.
  • PlayStation.Blog - News and release info for PS3, PS4, and Vita games.
  • Backloggery - I still use it to keep track of my collection, even if I'm not as socially active there as I used to be.
  • Cheap Ass Gamer - I keep an eye on the Canada forum for deals and sales.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I used to look into Cheap Ass Gamer but I found that it took too much searching and I usually didn't find anything of value related to my tastes. It would be different if I had a Playstation or XBOX I think.

Sort of on the same lines of Cheap Ass Gamer, a site I like to use to keep track of Amiibos is the Amiibo Canada Reddit Page. This is how I was able to get all of my rare Amiibos recently. Just users who post when expected restocks are going to come, what stores have what in stock and immediate postings of when things become available online. I used to use Now In Stock, but it just wasn't as quite as this Reddit page.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

Well, here's another one that I remembered:

BootlegGames Wiki -- What it sounds like, a wiki that logs information about bootleg games. Read about Angry Birds for the Famicom, or learn that we're up to Mario Bros. 19.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

There's a lot of good sites out there.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun is a PC focused game news site that often focuses on interesting indies or events that don't get much coverage on other sites. They also throw in some light humor.

Old Man Murray was a site dedicated to satirical commentary on the games industry from the late 90's and early 00's. The writers, Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek have moved on to Valve as writers (You may have seen their work in Portal). There articles highlight issues in game design that are still prevalent to this day and despite their thick humor, have valuable information about why games are great. Gabe Newell said on working on their games to "think about what the guys at OldManMurray.com would say" if they released the game in its current state. Perhaps this site is why I'm still waiting for Half-Life 3.

Gamasutra and www.gamesindustry.biz provide articles and news as it pertains to people inside the game development industry. These are a helpful second perspective on the industry from what we usually read.

This Old Neon: Nerds.

NeoGaf is where you go if you're trying to find game news as it happens. In the end everything leads to Neogaf.

YouTube is suspiciously absent here. Sure it's got one or two non-game related things on it, but it's still an excellent resource. Take for example the following channels.
-Errant Signal who provides smart commentary and reviews that touch a lot on game design philosophy rather than the more obvious review points like graphics, sound, and gameplay.
-Super Bunny Hop also provides very well written and thought out videos about games as well as giving his own interpretations of game news. He's very steadfast in his opinions for better or for worse and has a lot to say about the modern games industry.
-Jim Sterling is always preaching to the choir in his Jimquisition series, but it's so satisfying to hear him always be so, so right. Also since Steam has nearly dropped their curation standards, he gets to spend time showing us the strange world of terrible games that naturally get filtered out of discussion. Anybody who knows the name Digital Homicide knows one of the funniest and saddest stories in indie development from this channel.

Youtube is also a great source for finding first impressions for games so that you can quickly see what a new game looks like beyond its launch trailer. Examples of these are Angry Joe or Totalbiscuit.

Then the most important one is Videogame Dunkey. You know what, all these other sites might as well not even exist.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I see that VC-forums finally bit the dust. R.I.P :cry:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:I see that VC-forums finally bit the dust. R.I.P :cry:
Good thing we moved when we did!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming