Rare Replay collection

Microsoft discussion, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Scorpio, Xbox Live Arcade, Achievements & Gamerscore, Games on Demand, and Kinect.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Rare Replay collection

Post by Ouenben »

Anyone else picked this up ?

Very nicely packaged compilation, possibly one of the best value collections ever released too for £15.

Been replaying conker mainly and restarted viva pinata and had a shot of some of the retro titles which come with save states and rewind function for those who like that sort of thing.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Rare Replay collection

Post by Kong Wen »

This will be one of the first games I get when I get an Xbox One (which won't be for a while yet, probably). I don't have nostalgia for most if any of those games, but the value certainly can't be argued.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'm guessing it has the XBOX 360 versions of Banjo Kazooie/Tooie?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I was very excited about this game getting released! I've totally enjoyed it so far. Conker has been disappointing so far (but I'll probably finish it off anyway), but the little ZX Spectrum game Atic Atac was a totally unexpected gem. I love it. My NES copy of Battletoads is also unreliable, so it's nice to have a working copy of that. And I look forward to trying Jet Force Gemini, the Viva Piñata sequel, Cobra Triangle, and countless other games on the disk. I'm very happy with this budget purchase!
Kong Wen wrote:This will be one of the first games I get when I get an Xbox One (which won't be for a while yet, probably). I don't have nostalgia for most if any of those games, but the value certainly can't be argued.
All the more reason to buy it, in my opinion! That many more games that you'll be discovering for the first time! Prior to the XBLA re-releases of the Banjo games, the only Rare game I'd really played was DK64. Upon playing Banjo, I became a pretty devout disciple of any of the company's releases I could get my hands on. Consequently, I was salivating at the prospect of this release, and that's as someone that has 100% completed every Banjo game on disk and has played a number of others. I envy those with so much to sink their teeth into!
The Shoemaker wrote:I'm guessing it has the XBOX 360 versions of Banjo Kazooie/Tooie?
Correct. Which is a shame because I was hoping for a new set of achievements to incentivize me to give them both another playthrough. The XBLA releases were excellent re-releases though, so no harm!
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:This will be one of the first games I get when I get an Xbox One (which won't be for a while yet, probably). I don't have nostalgia for most if any of those games, but the value certainly can't be argued.
While I am nostalgic for Rare, of the 30 games I've only played Banjo + Banjo Tooie, the rest of my love comes from the 4 Donkey Kong games, Diddy Kong Racing and Banjo on the GBA. I'm actually surprised that Goldeneye isn't on the list, considering it was one of their bigger games. I wonder, did the remake that happened a couple years ago have an effect on this? (I'm guessing their liscense just expired).
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I didn't know that Rare had the rights to Blast Corps. Interesting to see it re-emerge.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

This game frustrates me because it was so crystal clear to me before this was announced that the PS4 was for me.

Now it opens up the discussion of XBone as well.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:This game frustrates me because it was so crystal clear to me before this was announced that the PS4 was for me.

I always know that I'll ideally want to own all mainstream systems of a given console generation. One game isn't enough to make me spring for one, but between this, Crackdown, the Halo collection, and a small handful of others, I can see myself adding an Xbone to my shelves either this coming winter holidat season, or early next year.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:This game frustrates me because it was so crystal clear to me before this was announced that the PS4 was for me.

I'm in the same boat. BUT, I've heard from enough people that the games don't really live up to what they used to be, so it sounds like it comes down to me just wanting to play Banjo 1 + 2, so I'm thinking I'll just get a cheap 360 sometime.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

The Shoemaker wrote:

I'm in the same boat. BUT, I've heard from enough people that the games don't really live up to what they used to be, so it sounds like it comes down to me just wanting to play Banjo 1 + 2, so I'm thinking I'll just get a cheap 360 sometime.
Whoa whoa whoa. I wouldn't say that. I thought Conker was seriously disappointing, but nearly every other game on the collection has been a gem. I'm having loads of fun with Blast Corps, Atic Atac, Cobra Triangle, Slalom, and tons of others, and those are games I didn't play before (and thus have no nostalgia for). I definitely think the collection is very good. I'm sure I'm not the only opinion you were referring to, but since I spoke so lowly of Conker, I wanted to be clear that the collection is still very good in spite of that.

But yes, definitely do all in your power to play Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie. You won't regret it. I also think Nuts & Bolts is *outstanding*. You see, I never played Kazooie and Tooie in my early childhood, but when I was 14/15 I decided to get a 360 because I heard they were releasing a new Banjo + the old ones on XBLA, and I was excited to finally try the series that I missed in my 64 days. That turned out to be a very good decision, and I loved all three. I think my lack of diehard nostalgia for the 3D platforming formula allowed me to enjoy Nuts & Bolts for what it was rather than being upset that it was different from the first two. Having said that... I'd still like to see the next one return to the series's roots, but NnB was very, very good, IMO.
You got BOOST power!