BGE Questions & General Discussion

Nominate and vote for your favourite games in a tournament-style competition. Join the debate, discuss what games mean to you, and discover hidden gems to broaden your horizons.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: BGE Questions & General Discussion

Post by Claytone »

Are all the Devils May Cry already eliminated from BGE? This thing has been going on since before I played through the entire series, so I'm wondering by how long I missed my chance to vote for them. :lol:
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 04 Jan 2023 20:29 Are all the Devils May Cry already eliminated from BGE? This thing has been going on since before I played through the entire series, so I'm wondering by how long I missed my chance to vote for them. :lol:
Devil May Cry, eliminated in the 2nd round by Iji (1-1, higher-seed tiebreak)
Devil May Cry 2 has never been nominated since 2010
Devil May Cry 3, unseeded (0 votes in prelims)
Devil May Cry 4, eliminated in the single-elimination "filter" round by Ranger X (2-1)
Devil May Cry 5, eliminated in the 3rd round by Desert Golfing (2-0)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

What a shame! 3 and 5 are better than most games that are left!!!

(2 never being nominated makes sense because it is terrible lol)
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 04 Jan 2023 22:33 What a shame! 3 and 5 are better than most games that are left!!!

(2 never being nominated makes sense because it is terrible lol)
You'll know better in 2025.

That's plenty of time to start recruiting new Devil May Cry fan TONe members and grooming existing ones. :belmont:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

OK everyone, the Top 512 and Bottom 1024 have concluded this week, which means I'm taking a bit of time to re-seed the next round. I'll start by posting the first batch of Top 256 polls on Monday (Monday seems to have worked best for me in terms of updates for the past few months).

This short break is a good opportunity to catch up.

Now that we're into the Top 256, there are going to be some really rough match-ups. Two great games, both deserving of a spot, probably for dramatically different reasons. I usually make an effort to comment on threads/polls like that when I come across them, and I would appreciate if y'all would too! Not because I'm trying to enforce anything, but simply because those comments and inner struggles and hard decisions are what make this contest interesting. Why is this such a hard match-up for Kong? What do these games mean to him? Etc.

For my part, in this round, when it comes to deciding battles between games that are really close for me, I think I'm going to try to focus on games that had a big impact. Games that either spawned huge influential series, created or popularized entire (sub)genres, made big studios what they are, etc.

I'm not saying this will be my only voting criterion, just that I'm going to make a more concerted effort to focus on and appreciate that aspect of what makes a game notable, enduring, and interesting.

How about y'all? What are you looking forward to or thinking about? How are you internalizing BGE right now? :neon:
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I tend to take the what-would-I-most-rather-play approach. If a game provided a jump start to a new genre (Resident Evil) it may not resonate with me as well as one that I would still love to play more today (Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode). If it was impactful but not as tempting to return to it now, then it is less likely to get my vote. Between those two, though I like them both, the latter would get my vote. If I could only own and play one of them Golgo 13 is the one I’d pick. And vote for.

Similar to Kong’s stance, though, I won’t be arbitrary in following that mindset. It’s just a baseline and I reserve the right to vote inconsistently with it as needed :ninja:
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

My voting criteria is more complex.

There's so many games I haven't played (especially in the lower brackets) that I'm constantly voting in situations where I'm voting on a game I've played vs a game I haven't. This makes things difficult but I've found a decent way of working things out in these situations.

1. If I consider the game of my all time favourites then I simply vote for it.
2. If I enjoyed the game then I'll briefly Google search the other game and try and understand it and decide if I want to vote for the game I enjoyed or abstain.
3. If I disliked the game then I'll do 2 but try to work out if I want to vote for the game I haven't played or if I abstain.
4. If it's a game I hate with a passion I'll usually blindly vote for the other game.

When they're both games I haven't played I usually abstain unless it's like Hello Kitty vs Diablo 2. Where I kinda know that Diablo deserves the vote.

The tough part is where they're both games I've played. This will happen more often in the latter rounds.

Voting is very random with that and there's no real easy way to explain other than childhood memories and recent memories probably are way too biased.

TLOZ Phantom Hourglass was my first Zelda game I ever played so it possibly gets over praised compared to stuff like BOTW and other big name and arguably to others better games. Same with Celeste and Animal Crossing New Leaf both games had a major impact on my life that others just likely didn't experience.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 13 May 2023 04:25 4. If it's a game I hate with a passion I'll usually blindly vote for the other game.
Are there any situations where you'd deliberately vote for a game you hate with a passion?

I can think of a couple for me. Well, not exactly passionate hatred, but there are definitely games I personally dislike and find unfun (like The Sims or World of Warcraft) that I would definitely still vote for in several match-ups.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 13 May 2023 04:57
SkyPikachu wrote: 13 May 2023 04:25 4. If it's a game I hate with a passion I'll usually blindly vote for the other game.
Are there any situations where you'd deliberately vote for a game you hate with a passion?

I can think of a couple for me. Well, not exactly passionate hatred, but there are definitely games I personally dislike and find unfun (like The Sims or World of Warcraft) that I would definitely still vote for in several match-ups.
Pokemon Go funnily enough is one of those games now. Though I think 2016-2019 Pokemon Go is great I can't really vote for it in 2023 anymore.

Pokemon Violet is the definition of a mess of a game despite me liking it. If it was in the comp I'd possibly vote against it religiously since imo it has no place in any discussion of BGE

Most of the games I'm thinking of are probably already out of the comp and most people think are bad games.

I could be petty bitch and vote against Harry Potter games (not sure if I've even seen any in the comp) just because of JK Rowling but I'd probably still look at what the other game was first in that situation.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The next round sees us moving on to the TOP 128 and the BOTTOM 512. Using the old format, we'd be looking at 1 week of top polls followed by 4 weeks of bottom polls. For this round, we'll keep things interesting by trickling out the top polls alongside the bottom ones beginning in week 3.

Week 1: Bottom 512 polls 1-32
Week 2: Bottom 512 polls 33-64
Week 3: Top 128 polls 57-64, Bottom 512 polls 65-96
Week 4: Top 128 polls 49-56, Bottom 512 polls 97-128
...and so on.

This will let us crescendo with the current top 8 at the end of the round.

Since there will be some upper and some lower bracket polls together in the forum at the same time, pay attention (if it matters to you) to the little cues that differentiate them (thread title, poll question, etc.)