Round 2: Bracket 3/16 - THREE

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What 1-2 games should advance to the next round?

Poll ended at 26 Sep 2015 21:53

1980 - Pac-Man - Arcade
30%
1981 - Donkey Kong - Arcade/A2600
13%
1988 - Blaster Master - NES
18%
1992 - Soldier Blade - TG16
10%
1998 - Fallout 2 - PC
15%
2006 - Final Fantasy XII - PS2
8%
2007 - Super Paper Mario - Wii
3%
2010 - Higurashi When They Cry - iOS
No votes
2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Wii
3%
2013 - Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe - PC
3%

Total votes: 40

This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

You can vote for 1-2 games in this poll. Vote carefully—you can't change your votes after submitting them. The #1 and #2 ranked games at the end of the week will move on to Round 3.

1980 - Pac-Man - Arcade
1981 - Donkey Kong - Arcade/A2600
1988 - Blaster Master - NES
1992 - Soldier Blade - TG16
1998 - Fallout 2 - PC
2006 - Final Fantasy XII - PS2
2007 - Super Paper Mario - Wii
2010 - Higurashi When They Cry - iOS
2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Wii
2013 - Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe - PC

You are encouraged to discuss your choices and your reasons for selecting the games you did.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: Round 2: Bracket 3/16 - THREE

Post by Sharecrow »

Blaster Master, one of the best if not the best action / adventure game on the NES, and FFXII, a game I hope gets a remake for PS4 so I can play it again in HD.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

This is an easy vote for Final Fantasy XII for me. It's one of my favourite entries in a genre I've always really enjoyed. The setting and atmosphere are based on the world of Ivalice from my favourite game of all time, Final Fantasy Tactics. The music fits the game's world and events perfectly. The characters are typically Final Fantasy—a mix of annoying kids and weird genre tropes, but the writers actually manage to mix things up quite well in this one. The protagonist is a starry-eyed kid with his head in the clouds, but he's not really the main character—he's wrapped up in events that are bigger than him, with people who are more important than him, and he's gradually somewhat stripped of his illusions about the world.

I also loved the battle system. The Gambit system allows you to "program" your party's AI to react to various situations. It actually becomes quite strategic and very fulfilling to develop airtight Gambits.

I tossed my second vote to Blaster Master. This is partly because I'm not 100% keen on supporting Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, which are certainly influential games but which I don't really think are all that engaging or good overall. But it's mainly because Blaster Master is such a fresh entry in a genre that was ripe for innovation. Plus, the game just looked fantastic on the NES. Quite a technical achievement.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Donkey Kong and Pac-man are classic gems none of the others stand out to me.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Pac-Man and Fallout 2 will receive my votes easily. Fallout 2 is probably my favorite WRPG, and Pac-Man is just iconic.
You got BOOST power!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Fallout 2 is my real vote here, as I felt it built upon and refined everything I enjoyed about the original. Not much more to say, it's bloody fabulous.

Soldier Blade takes a bit of a throwaway honourable mention vote, not because of a lack of enthusiasm, but it's doomed against this competition. I only got around to playing this one via Virtual Console in 2011, but instantly ranked among my favourite shooters of all time. Excellent music and level progression, a recurring nemesis battle and sporting tough-but-forgiving gameplay that wants you to see the end. A glorious addition to the Star Soldier series and a cut above.

My assumption is that we'll see a tight battle between DK and Pac Man, so I can only hope that the iconic and totally-not-terrible Pac-Man can edge out the iconic and totally-terrible Donkey Kong. It should be noted that it'll take something truly monumental to keep me from giving Ms. Pac Man my vote when it inevitably appears elsewhere.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Yasume
Aspirant

Post by Yasume »

Crap, I didn't notice Higurashi in there.

Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Pac-man, can't say I've played it too much, but it's one of those games I could play at any time. It was so important for the gaming industry as well.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pac-Man and Blaster Master have advanced to Round 3!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming