Round 3: The Newfoundland and Labrador Bracket

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What three games should advance to the next round?

Poll ended at 03 Oct 2015 23:41

1981 - Galaga - Arcade
15%
1985 - Gradius - Arcade/NES
13%
1987 - Final Fantasy - NES
19%
1993 - [Maniac Mansion II:] Day of the Tentacle - PC
17%
1997 - Blast Corps - N64
8%
2003 - Pokémon Colosseum - GCN
2%
2006 - Mother 3 - GBA
8%
2010 - Amnesia: The Dark Descent - PC
6%
2010 - Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii
9%
2012 - Persona 4 Arena - Multiplatform
4%

Total votes: 53

This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

You can vote for 1-3 games in this poll. Vote carefully—you can't change your votes after submitting them. The #1, #2, and #3 ranked games at the end of the week will move on to Round 4.

1981 - Galaga - Arcade
1985 - Gradius - Arcade/NES
1987 - Final Fantasy - NES
1993 - [Maniac Mansion II:] Day of the Tentacle - PC
1997 - Blast Corps - N64
2003 - Pokémon Colosseum - GCN
2006 - Mother 3 - GBA
2010 - Amnesia: The Dark Descent - PC
2010 - Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii
2012 - Persona 4 Arena - Multiplatform

You are encouraged to discuss your choices and your reasons for selecting the games you did.
Humphries90

Re: Round 3: The Newfoundland and Labrador Bracket

Post by Humphries90 »

May abstain in this one or vote for Final Fantasy. I enjoyed Pokemon Colosseum, but best game ever? I don't think so.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

My favorite region of Canada by default...has a bunch of games which I either didn't play or don't really care too much about. I gave Galaga a token vote anyways since I had a lot of nostalgia for that game. Oddly, I'm not really into shmups but enjoyed them when I was a kid.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Mother 3 is the only video game to ever make me cry.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I only voted for Final Fantasy and Day of the Tentacle here. I considered voting for one of the early shmups, but although I have good memories with them, I didn't think they'd be on par with these two picks, so I'll let them fend for themselves and may come back to them if they make it to a later round.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Gradius got my only vote here. FF was fun but kind of empty as far as story goes. Or at least it wasn't as fun to me as its contemporaries (Dragon Warrior and Phantasy Star). Gradius is an outstanding shooter with great customization, reasonable yet fair difficulty, and memorable and varied levels.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Triple vote! Gradius and DotT for reasons stated earlier, and the mighty GALAGA.

I'm disappointed to see it lagging here. It is the queen of all the fixed shooters. It made meaningful changes to the established formula, had a really great risk/reward option in the captured/recovered ship power-up, and incorporated several scoring mechanics that ensured its success and longevity. There is good reason this game is alongside Pac Man as the cabinets you're most likely to see in the back of a random pub or bowling alley. This is one of a few games you don't ever really stop playing.

Galaga is an absolute monster of a game and a true Best Game Ever, votes be damned. Incredible then, incredible now, incredible forever.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I never got into the original NA FF much, too old for me.

I did like Kirby's Epic Yarn though, just an adorable game. Level design was very smart, and the lack of a death penalty was a great idea too.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

VictorViper wrote:It is the queen of all the fixed shooters. It made meaningful changes to the established formula, had a really great risk/reward option in the captured/recovered ship power-up, and incorporated several scoring mechanics that ensured its success and longevity.
I would also add that the simple, zig-zagging patterns of the enemies on screen(also the fact they come in and out at different points of the screen, rather than just from the top) was an important advancement from the Space Invaders approach where enemies moved in a straight line. Not that Galaga was the first game to do this, even Galaxian did the same stuff, but Galaga was a real standout in this regard. Not only did it make shooting enemies more fun, but I feel like a lot of later games probably took direct influence.

When I play many 90s vertical scrolling shooters actually, which have a lot of emphasis on shooting moving targets as opposed to dodging them(like in bullet hell games), they actually remind me of playing Galaga. In particular games by Nihon Bussan, like Terra Cresta for example, have enemy movement patterns that remind me of Galaga. But many games from that era would fit, like the Star Soldier series or Recca or whatever. I feel like the thrill of lining up and shooting moving enemies is lost in most shooters nowadays, where enemies don't do a whole lot besides be bullet sponges or chain fodder. But in fixed shooters and in many vertical shooters it's a big element. Pink Sweets is an example of a sort-of recent game that does have moving enemies patterns like that, but of course Pink Sweets is atypical, what with the guy behind Battle Garegga being responsible for it and all.

I would also say that, while I voted for Galaga here because it's great, Galaga '88(called Galaga 90 on the Turbografx-16), is even better. Totally worth playing if you like Galaga.
Last edited by TheGreatNads on 30 Sep 2015 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

TheGreatNads wrote:I would also add that the simple, zig-zagging patterns of the enemies on screen(also the fact they come in and out at different points of the screen, rather than just from the top) was an important advancement from the Space Invaders approach where enemies moved in a straight line. Not that Galaga was the first game to do this, even Galaxian did the same stuff, but Galaga was a real standout in this regard. Not only did it make shooting enemies more fun, but I feel like a lot of later games probably took direct influence.
I'd definitely say that there was a direct progression of Space Invaders > Galaxian > Galaga > Xevious among early shmups.

Did anyone nominate Xevious? That always seemed a lot more popular in Japan than here.

Rob