Round 4, in which we dishonour our fathers and our mothers

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2015-16 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.

What 1-3 games should advance to Round 5?

Poll ended at 11 Oct 2015 00:51

1993 - [Maniac Mansion II:] Day of the Tentacle - PC
15%
1998 - Glover - N64
4%
1999 - Jambo! Safari - Arcade
2%
2000 - Jet Grind Radio / Jet Set Radio - DC
4%
2001 - Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - GCN
9%
2008 - Mario Kart Wii - Wii
19%
2012 - Hotline Miami - Multiplatform
15%
2013 - Rayman Legends - Multiplatform
11%
2013 - Papers, Please - PC
21%

Total votes: 47

This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

You can vote for 1-3 games in this poll. Vote carefully—you can't change your votes after submitting them. The #1, #2, and #3 ranked games at the end of the week will move on to Round 5.

1993 - [Maniac Mansion II:] Day of the Tentacle - PC
1998 - Glover - N64
1999 - Jambo! Safari - Arcade
2000 - Jet Grind Radio / Jet Set Radio - DC
2001 - Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - GCN
2008 - Mario Kart Wii - Wii
2012 - Hotline Miami - Multiplatform
2013 - Rayman Legends - Multiplatform
2013 - Papers, Please - PC

You are encouraged to discuss your choices and your reasons for selecting the games you did.
evildevil97
Adept

Re: Round 4, in which we dishonour our fathers and our mothe

Post by evildevil97 »

I tend to blend Rayan Legends and DKC Tropical Freeze into the same game in my mind. In that they are both extremely good 2D platformers that were released (or at least, I bought) around the same time for the Wii U. Rayman gets a nod from me in this poll.

I also voted for Sonic Adventure 2, which was probably the best 3D Sonic game untl Colours and Generations. And screw you, I still like Mario Kart Wii.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Jamboooo Safariiiiii! :lol:

So many pound coins went into that machine on Cleethorpes beach front every time I visited my Grandparent's caravan. I was desperate for this game to get a release on the Dreamcast and I kept asking my Dad to call Sega and ask them when it was coming out (even though there was never any indication it would ) :lol:

Well, like a decade later it got a release on the Wii, but it looks like a shadow of its former self.

I loved just roaming around the Savannah searching for animals to capture. It reminded me of Crazy Taxi fused with Sega Bass Fishing. Good times. Seriously need to go back to Cleethorpes one of these days, the arcade machine's probably still there.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

8-) Glover 8-)
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Rayman Legends was pretty dope, how they handled the Wii U release was not. After announcing it as a Wii U exclusive, they delayed the game for 9 months only 2 weeks before it was to be released. They did this so that they could make it multiplatform. I'm not saying this influenced my decision on the game, but by the game finally came out, I was kind of over it. They released this really awesome demo on the Wii U eShop that had online weekly tournaments and showed you the first level. I thought the gamepad implementation was great. I ended up playing that demo a lot during the games delay, so much that by the time the game actually came out, the game didn't really feel new anymore. So ultimately that killed my hype for the game and I think it's what prevented me from caring to beat it. I did make it pretty far, and I thought the Murphy levels with the gamepad were so much fun with a second person.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

DotT all the way, here. Utterly mad, utterly brilliant. George Washington's wooden teeth.

I hope to see Rayman Origins elsewhere. Legends was a nice game with some great sequences, but it doesn't hold a candle to its predecessor.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I liked Origins better than Legends pretty much because I hated the murphy levels. (Wii U) They were annoying as hell.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Yikes - I haven't played any of these. No vote for me here...
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Only two votes from me here: Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle for being one of the finest adventure games during perhaps the peak of the genre, and Papers, Please for being one of the finest and most original of the modern indie games and for successfully marrying gameplay and narrative/theme.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Audio Ace
Initiate

Post by Audio Ace »

Jesus, i didn't see Glover there. Thats the game i have been waiting to vote for too :(