Games you've played because of BGE

Nominate and vote for your favourite games in a tournament-style competition. Join the debate, discuss what games mean to you, and discover hidden gems to broaden your horizons.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Games you've played because of BGE

Post by Kong Wen »

What games have you played or started playing as a result of the "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project?

Are there any games you plan on playing because of the reception they've received here?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Games you've played because of BGE

Post by The Shoemaker »

I can't remember the previous BGE's, but this time around I started playing Castlevania Aria of Sorrow because of it. If I ever get a chance I'll definitely try out F-Zero GX now.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Not really. Still playing the games I played or planned playing from before BGE. If it happens to be a game that's in the BGE, that would be coincidence.

But it's not a 100% no, as I had hooked up my GC early october to play some games on it. Did give F-Zero GX a spin as I didn't recall enjoying it the first time around. Still didn't enjoy playing it after a few races, enjoyed F-Zero X on N64 much more.

Doom 2 is another game I've played, but that was on my waiting list for a while. Played the early Doom games on my old Mac quite often (with or without custom maps) as it quick to start up and get into. Couldn't use the same program to run these games on my notebook (PowerPC vs. Intel Mac), but had ZDoom installed for playing Strife. After transferring the iwads from the old Max to the new, I was able to play Doom 2 (and Ultimate Doom and Final Doom) using ZDoom. BGE may have contributed to me trying to get it to run. Still play it regularly to try out some old wads I had collected in the past.

So F-Zero GX and Doom 2 can be credited to BGE.
Grt. Merlin

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Nothing yet, but I'm considering playing Aria of Sorrow.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Mine have been from earlier rounds:
  • I knew I would like Ori and the Blind Forest, and its appearance in the BGE prompted me to skip my backlog and start playing it right away. Excellent game. I still need to finish it, but it's already among my favourites in that genre based on what I've played so far.
  • I played some of LISA (thanks, Spore!) but didn't get very far. It didn't feel like a game I could really blitz in time before it was out of the contest. It's pretty heavy, so I want to spend more time with it and play it more ponderously.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Not as of yet. I barely have time to play games already in my collection.

I wanted to play Papers, please before BGE, but now I REALLY REALLY want to play it.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Castlevania SoTN didn't think I'd like the genre but wow is it fun.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I started playing Mega Man 9 again - a game I never made it very far in. Have actually been knocking out bosses, too. It's good stuff.

I became curious about Valkri Chronicles but probably won't get it as I generally don't like strategy games much ;b. Not my genre
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Games that got escalated on my to-play list that I will try to get to sooner rather than later include:

Final Fantasy Tactics - I'll start this once I finally finish FFV, which, for arbitrary reasons, I decided to play as my next PS1 Classics game and I am quite resistant to doing things out of my arbitrary pre-determined order.

Super Meat Boy (PS4)

Suikoden II (after I finish 1, which has stalled due to being distracted with other stuff)

I'll note others as they become apparent to me....
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

This is probably the best time to post this, before the eventual winner becomes too obvious:

I, Kong Wen, do hereby solemnly swear to play the winner of the current "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project through to completion by the end of calendar year 2016, provided it's not a game that I have already beaten.

Who else will join me in taking this sacred oath?