Top 256 — Week 1 — Poll 1

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is BEST?!

1 — Super Mario Galaxy (2007, Wii)
50%
256 — Hades (2020, PC/Switch)
50%

Total votes: 10

This Old Neon
Administrator

Top 256 — Week 1 — Poll 1

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round of 256!

Each game is seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools. Every game in the Upper Bracket has defeated multiple other games in 1-on-1 polls to get to this point. These are still the best of the best.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Sunday or Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Top 256 — Week 1 — Poll 1

Post by Kong Wen »

This is actually a very good match-up because both of these games do something similar in their respective genres. Super Mario Galaxy 1 is pretty much the smoothest, most polished 3D Mario platformer, and Hades ties a bunch of roguelike-lite recursive gameplay / gradually build-up via failure gameplay subgenre staples together in an eminently playable and cohesive way. Plus it has a great unfolding narrative and good characters.

I give the edge to Hades here.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Abstaining out of respect to Hades, which I haven’t played.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 15 May 2023 15:51 Abstaining out of respect to Hades, which I haven’t played.
Given how much you appreciate a story or plot-thread to keep you meaningfully compelled to chase a gameplay loop, I do think you would enjoy Hades, or at least that element of it. The rest of the gameplay, I'm not sure.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

SMG for me. I'm sure Hades is good and I will play it at some point but I can't in my right mind not vote for SMG it deserves to be in top 128 if not the top 10.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

SMG is one of favourite 3D platformers ever. My favourite Wii game too.

But Hades is just something else, a rogue genre game I actually loved?! Absolutely incredible.

I could easily vote for either title but Hades gets the win here as it was such a fucking brilliant game and I'd rather support the underdog.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I know which game I’d rather play forever given only one and so I voted accordingly
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
liu yuante
Aspirant

Post by liu yuante »

Hades is a brilliant game, but for sheer awe-inspiring imagination, I think the only thing that beats SMG for me is SMG 2. This is a game that is just bonkers in scope, gameplay and inventiveness. It pains me to vote against Supergiant as I have been a fan of their games since Bastion (where did that one end up in BGE?), but I have to go with the space plumber here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

liu yuante wrote: 22 May 2023 21:35 Hades is a brilliant game, but for sheer awe-inspiring imagination, I think the only thing that beats SMG for me is SMG 2. This is a game that is just bonkers in scope, gameplay and inventiveness. It pains me to vote against Supergiant as I have been a fan of their games since Bastion (where did that one end up in BGE?), but I have to go with the space plumber here.
Bastion is still alive in the lower bracket, so we'll be seeing it again soon(ish)! It just got its first loss in the last round.