Languages.

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Languages.

Post by SkyPikachu »

Obviously everyone here speaks English reasonably well. (I type to fast sometimes and make silly errors and sound retarded but I am good)

Anyway. I'm starting to learn Japanese and was curious to know what other languages people know or are semi fluent in.

Me
Native - English
Learning - Japanese
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Re: Languages.

Post by Spore »

English and MATLAB primarily.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

I've been making attempts to learn Japanese but have been taking time off from it lately.

Rob
Turai
Aspirant

Post by Turai »

Swedish - Native
English - Reasonably well.
German - Just a tiny bit, can read it somewhat well if it's not a complicated text, used to be better.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Pluvius wrote:I've been making attempts to learn Japanese but have been taking time off from it lately.

Rob
What are/were you using to study?
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Dutch - native
English - read, write and understand (=listen) good, haven't spoken it in a very long time
German - read and understand ok, write can do, speak maybe (grew up watching mostly german tv)
French - very, very, very little to none (had some years of lessons at school, but was happy to drop it)
Grt. Merlin

Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

Slurmee wrote:(I type to fast sometimes and make silly errors and sound retarded but I am good)
That was a joke right? ;)

Anyways, native English.

Mandarin Chinese: 还可以 Not too bad. Depends on which side of the bed I get out of in the morning. Speaking, listening and reading are all really difficult, but I can get by generally. Thing is, I'm not even studying, which is terrible. I really should be studying it everyday but I get too lazy or distracted. I just pick things up from my other half, or out of a random google translate if I feel curious and my students too. I teach them the english words and I usually pick up the Chinese from them. I know a surprising amount of random (read: almost useless) words.

I'm more skilled at it than some other foreigners I know who have been here 3 times as long as me, which makes me feel better I guess.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Humphries90 wrote:
Slurmee wrote:(I type to fast sometimes and make silly errors and sound retarded but I am good)
That was a joke right? ;)
Ah no. I do struggle with some things like "to and too". I thought "too" was another word for "also". However "I type also fast" makes no sense. (Maybe I've got to learn the differences a little better)

I was about a year below my grade all through high school in english but I never struggle to the point that it was an issue where people couldn't understand me verbally or when I wrote.

Like when I fill out forms and if they ask if my english is. Bad-Average-Good-Great I always tick great because I am fluent in the language and can read adult books and understand them.

I a lot of the time I'm just too lazy to make sure everything is perfect as in the end it's just the internet.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

Slurmee wrote:
Pluvius wrote:I've been making attempts to learn Japanese but have been taking time off from it lately.

Rob
Mainly Wanikani since I figured that learning kanji would be the most useful thing to me at first. I also started reading through IMABI once I understood enough about the language that the denseness of grammatical information there wouldn't be so overwhelming.

Rob
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Pluvius wrote:
Slurmee wrote:

Rob
Mainly Wanikani since I figured that learning kanji would be the most useful thing to me at first. I also started reading through IMABI once I understood enough about the language that the denseness of grammatical information there wouldn't be so overwhelming.

Rob
Ah nice. I'm using Genki (textbook), anki and memrise