Star Wars 7 WITH SPOILERS

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Star Wars 7 WITH SPOILERS

Post by Kreegs »

Hey everyone! Thought I would make a place to discuss this movie. I just saw it at 9:30am this morning (Hooray for 5 dollar movies in my city!) and I liked it a lot.

There were a lot of moments that were unexpected, but others that one might have seen coming as the film progressed. What were your favorite surprises or revelations?

Please note that this thread will mostly contain spoilers, so just go see the movie already!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Star Wars 7 WITH SPOILERS

Post by SkyPikachu »

Shouldn't everyone just use spoiler tags?
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Slurmee wrote:Shouldn't everyone just use spoiler tags?
Sure if you want to that's fine! Just wanted to warn people that they should read with caution!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Even though the thread title is marked, everyone has to use spoiler tags here.

For me, the spoilers weren't the stand-out parts of the movie. The two main characters' performances were excellent. Very natural, very likeable, they worked well together, etc. The film recalls A New Hope without copying it too egregiously. The direction/cinematography was excellent as well, and it was nice to see some actual choreographed dogfighting in one of these movies instead of just cockpit sequences.

I liked it a lot.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I never saw episodes 1-6 before, so this was my first Star Wars experience. It was really good. I was also most impressed with all the actors preformances and characterization in general.

The movie had some of the best sound effects I've ever heard.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I never saw episodes 1-6 before, so this was my first Star Wars experience. It was really good. I was also most impressed with all the actors preformances and characterization in general.

The movie had some of the best sound effects I've ever heard.
Now you'll want to go back and watch episodes 4-6, and continue avoiding the prequel trilogy. :)
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Yes! You need to go back and watch the first 6!

I was just so impressed with how fresh everything felt while retaining the same look and feel of a Star Wars movie. The acting was also really great. Compared to some of the acting in episodes 1-3.... FACEPALM
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Super duper spoilers below
Spoiler
Was anyone surprised they killed Han off so early in this trilogy? Given the many years its been since the originals, I figured they would really try to give the old characters lots of time to shine. Or at the very least, have one last reunion between Han, Leia and Luke.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

The Shoemaker wrote:Super duper spoilers below
Spoiler
Was anyone surprised they killed Han off so early in this trilogy? Given the many years its been since the originals, I figured they would really try to give the old characters lots of time to shine. Or at the very least, have one last reunion between Han, Leia and Luke.
Spoiler
Nope. I'm pretty sure the intent of this first movie was to reassure fans that the new trilogy isn't going to suck, but getting the old movies out of the way so the new ones can tell their own story. I have a feeling Luke won't play as big of a role as Han did in this movie either, though he'll probably be killed off just the same.
Rob
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pluvius wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Super duper spoilers below
Spoiler
Spoiler
Nope. I'm pretty sure the intent of this first movie was to reassure fans that the new trilogy isn't going to suck, but getting the old movies out of the way so the new ones can tell their own story. I have a feeling Luke won't play as big of a role as Han did in this movie either, though he'll probably be killed off just the same.
Spoiler
Also nope. He did have lots of time to shine. This was his movie. In fact, I think it was necessary to the narrative to kill him off when they did, because his death serves as the catalyst that will help transform Kylo Ren into an actual intimidating villain. I'd guess Luke will play about as big a part in the next movie as Obi-Wan did in A New Hope.