Star Wars 7 WITH SPOILERS

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Re: Star Wars 7 WITH SPOILERS

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I thought it was a very typical Star Wars movie that ticked all of the Star Warsy boxes. I remember seeing Revenge of the Sith at the cinema and wondering what all the fuss about the prequels being so horrible was (note: I've never seen the other two). Carrie Fisher's acting has been consistently crap in all of them.

I should note though that I'm also one of the few who had no problem with Indiana Jones nuking the fridge. I don't now why some people hold these movies up as some kind of untouchable serious stuff that are somehow sullied by such moments. They've always been silly, camp entertainment based on old Saturday matinee Buck Rogers stuff. They are enjoyable for that reason.

Spoiler :
Spoiler
Kylo Ren is rubbish: slightly intimidating at the start, whiny wierd faced man-boy by the end
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:I thought it was a very typical Star Wars movie that ticked all of the Star Warsy boxes. I remember seeing Revenge of the Sith at the cinema and wondering what all the fuss about the prequels being so horrible was (note: I've never seen the other two). Carrie Fisher's acting has been consistently crap in all of them.

I should note though that I'm also one of the few who had no problem with Indiana Jones nuking the fridge. I don't now why some people hold these movies up as some kind of untouchable serious stuff that are somehow sullied by such moments. They've always been silly, camp entertainment based on old Saturday matinee Buck Rogers stuff. They are enjoyable for that reason.

Spoiler :
Spoiler
Kylo Ren is rubbish: slightly intimidating at the start, whiny wierd faced man-boy by the end
Having seen all of the prequels, I'd argue episode 2 is the only one that deserves it's reputation.
slangman
Beginner

Post by slangman »

I enjoyed The Force Awakens. Was quite tense at times, esp near the end and had great action from start, along with good pacing. Almost felt like the film was inspired by A New Hope, without copying it directly. No bad thing at all, when implemented well esp this movie.
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:I thought it was a very typical Star Wars movie that ticked all of the Star Warsy boxes. I remember seeing Revenge of the Sith at the cinema and wondering what all the fuss about the prequels being so horrible was (note: I've never seen the other two).
RotS has some dodgy moments (the awful and cringe-worthy dialogue between Anakin and Padme is just one example) but not as bad as the previous two movies. I enjoyed RotS myself when it was out in cinemas as a 15 year old. :P
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Pluvius wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Super duper spoilers below
Spoiler
Was anyone surprised they killed Han off so early in this trilogy? Given the many years its been since the originals, I figured they would really try to give the old characters lots of time to shine. Or at the very least, have one last reunion between Han, Leia and Luke.
Spoiler
Nope. I'm pretty sure the intent of this first movie was to reassure fans that the new trilogy isn't going to suck, but getting the old movies out of the way so the new ones can tell their own story. I have a feeling Luke won't play as big of a role as Han did in this movie either, though he'll probably be killed off just the same.
Spoiler
Also nope. He did have lots of time to shine. This was his movie. In fact, I think it was necessary to the narrative to kill him off when they did, because his death serves as the catalyst that will help transform Kylo Ren into an actual intimidating villain. I'd guess Luke will play about as big a part in the next movie as Obi-Wan did in A New Hope.
Spoiler
Yeah I think it was the right decision to kill him off. To push Kylo towards the dark side and to give the cast an even bigger reason to hate him.

In regards to Kylo, I really liked his character. I hear some people complain that he's just a Darth Vader wanna-be, but that's exactly why he's great. He was never made to be a replacement to Vader, he's literally just a Vader fanboy. He loves Vader so much he wears a helmet that looks like his for no reason. It is also slowly shown throughout the movie that Kylo isn't all that, and he doesn't have control of his emotions or mastered the force yet. That's why I like him as a character, because he's not put in there just so that we have an antagonist, he's an actual character that has room to grow.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Spoiler
In regards to Kylo, I really liked his character. I hear some people complain that he's just a Darth Vader wanna-be, but that's exactly why he's great. He was never made to be a replacement to Vader, he's literally just a Vader fanboy. He loves Vader so much he wears a helmet that looks like his for no reason. It is also slowly shown throughout the movie that Kylo isn't all that, and he doesn't have control of his emotions or mastered the force yet. That's why I like him as a character, because he's not put in there just so that we have an antagonist, he's an actual character that has room to grow.
Spoiler
This is what makes him even more intimidating on one hand, but sympathetic on the other hand. The dark side is all about embracing emotions and anger, and you can see from his personality how it would have been easy for Snoke to manipulate that to turn him. Vader was prone to anger and outbursts as well when he was younger (and even sometimes when he was older—killing his admirals with little reason), and Luke was as well, which is why Yoda initially refused to train him. Kylo's volatility is part of what's going to make him such a good villain. We're used to these stately old villains by now (Sidious, Tyranus, Snoke, the Imperial command), so I think a wilder bad guy is going to spice things up a bit.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

They're starting casting for the solo Han Solo movie(s). If it's Miles Teller, then I guess I just won't be able to go watch any of them...
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Just saw the movie tonight.

There's spoilers from the 2 other trilogy in here as well so read with caution.

1. Easily best movie of the decade so far if you have any interest i science fiction you have to see this movie
2. Shoe go watch 1-6 ignore Kong as I personally really like the prequel.
3-6. In spoiler tag - Star Wars The Force Awakens VII spoilers.
Spoiler
3. Han Solo dying threw me off it was so shocking but so well done I don't think I've been speechless like that in a movie ever.
4. I thought they'd kill Leia off I never really liked her. I didn't even find her attractive in the original trilogy I much prefer Padme but maybe that's just me relating better to a movie made in my generation. Nonetheless Carrie Fisher looks old and sick.
4. BB-8 is awesome I love him (it?).
5. I love Ray. She's one of the best female protagonist I've ever seen in any movie.
6. Kylo Ren was the only thing I disliked about the movie I believe the actor looks out of place and off. Him killing Han though made me instantly hate him though (hate in a good way) but the character still feels weird. I also adore Vader so maybe I'm comparing him to him to much.
7. In spoiler tag - Star Wars Episode III, IV, V, VI spoilers. (99% sure there's no spoilers from I or II)
Spoiler
7. I think I liked this movie more than the others because nothing was spoiled. When I watched 1-6 I already knew. Leia/Anakin/Luke relationship, that padme dies, that vader dies, that yodi dies and I'm probably missing a few others so I was very rarely thrown off guard like I was in this movie.
I'm pissed that it won't beat the box office records in Australia (more so beat Avatar which I found boring). Anyone got a spare 33 million AUD you could 'lend' me? I only need to buy 1.5 million tickets to star wars.

I'm glad it got #1 in America and I hope it hits 2 billion worldwide but I'm guessing it won't beat the 2.7 of Avatar

Overall it's easily to my favorite movie of all time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:
Spoiler
6. Kylo Ren was the only thing I disliked about the movie I believe the actor looks out of place and off. Him killing Han though made me instantly hate him though (hate in a good way) but the character still feels weird. I also adore Vader so maybe I'm comparing him to him to much.
Spoiler
I think you might just need to take some time to think about it and digest. Kylo Ren was well-cast and phenomenally acted. Remember, in the original series, Darth Vader was an old man with a full decade of training as a legendary Jedi master and then even more time spent ruthlessly consolidating the empire's power. Kylo is just a kid. He's not fully trained, he doesn't have full grasp of his power, and he only has an immature understanding of the dark side. He's not "in charge" the way Vader was. He doesn't know Vader's whole story. That's fairly complex for someone's who's also supposed to be evil and intimidating. I think Driver played it very well, especially in the last light sabre fight with Finn & Rey, the way he looked at her almost sympathetically, like he was looking forward to having an ally in the dark side that he could actually relate to, but simultaneously a rival that he's jealous of / intimidated by on some level.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Star Wars good. Victor approve.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Spoiler
I think Driver played it very well, especially in the last light sabre fight with Finn & Rey, the way he looked at her almost sympathetically, like he was looking forward to having an ally in the dark side that he could actually relate to, but simultaneously a rival that he's jealous of / intimidated by on some level.
So much this. I love how nuanced the characters are, especially Kylo Ren.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons