Super Mario 3mix

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Super Mario 3mix

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

With SMB3 riding high in the BGE I just wondered if anybody else has played this wonderful fan made game based on the original engine?

It really is an astonishing achievement as well as a heartfelt tribute to the Mario series throughout the years. Just about every entry in the series is paid homage and/or recreated in the art style of the NES. Just discovering
Spoiler
Yoshi
in the game for the first time was a treat but what some of the later worlds do to recreate
Spoiler
the more recent titles like Sunshine and Galaxy
are nothing short of awe-inspiring with amazingly creative level design and none of the Kaizo rubbish that normally infest fan made hacks. In fact, I'd struggle to even call this a hack, it would be doing it a disservice.

I bought it on a counterfeit Chinese cart without knowing anything much about it and expecting it to be a silly ROM hack but have been blown away by the attention to detail that the creator has put into it.
Han Solo
Cinephile and Gamer

Re: Super Mario 3mix

Post by Han Solo »

I just looked this up and it looks amazing. I'm definitely going to check it out sometime.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Han Solo wrote:I just looked this up and it looks amazing. I'm definitely going to check it out sometime.
I've been playing a few stages every night. The invention on display is crazy. I know we live in the era of Mario Maker these days...but stuff like this is probably why. The level design and attention to detail surpasses some of Nintendo's own...and this was a one man project.

If you have the original hardware I'd recommend buying it from the likes of Aliexpress...otherwise it's available free to download. I've read that the same guy did a Sonic game before this that was also praised. Might be worth checking out if you're a Sonic fan.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah this looks awesome, a surprising amount of new elements added too. The Super Mario Land Music was sweet.

Would love to this guy make Super Mario Maker levels, even though they would probably be less sophisticated than the levels seen in this game.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I'm almost at the end of World 8, what I presume is the final world...although I've been collecting keys to a "world Zero" that I've only seen from afar in secret warp pipes. There looks to be a lot more to do even after the main game is over.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I beat this last night. There is a ton of post game stuff (inspired by Galaxy) and a secret world that I have still have only glimpsed and haven't figured out how to get to the main levels!