BOTTOM 64 — Poll 23

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is NOT QUITE THE BEST BUT DOESN'T DESERVE THIS FATE (YET...)?

31 — God of War (2018, PS4)
50%
50 — Baldur's Gate (1998, PC)
50%

Total votes: 6

This Old Neon
Administrator

BOTTOM 64 — Poll 23

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round Lower Bracket!

Each game in the lower bracket is still seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools! Every game in the lower bracket has already been defeated by another game in a 1-on-1 poll to get to this point. This is their chance to claw their way back into the main event... but the stakes are high. The games that lose in these polls are out of the tournament for good! The games that survive will face the next crop of upper bracket losers in the next round.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
evildevil97
Adept

Re: BOTTOM 64 — Poll 23

Post by evildevil97 »

Good luck, BG. If you lose to GoW, it'll at least be a worthy loss.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I think I'm going to throw my weight behind the superior Baldur's Gate 2 elsewhere in these polls, and vote for God of War here. God of War is not just an excellent game in its own right, but also a masterclass on how to rescue a stale and toxic mascot and turn him into a compelling characte.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 06 Mar 2024 05:50 I think I'm going to throw my weight behind the superior Baldur's Gate 2 elsewhere in these polls, and vote for God of War here. God of War is not just an excellent game in its own right, but also a masterclass on how to rescue a stale and toxic mascot and turn him into a compelling characte.
Toxic? Idk much about the original trilogy or PSP games but how was it toxic I've never heard this before and you've peaked my interest.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 06 Mar 2024 21:10
Kong Wen wrote: 06 Mar 2024 05:50 I think I'm going to throw my weight behind the superior Baldur's Gate 2 elsewhere in these polls, and vote for God of War here. God of War is not just an excellent game in its own right, but also a masterclass on how to rescue a stale and toxic mascot and turn him into a compelling characte.
Toxic? Idk much about the original trilogy or PSP games but how was it toxic I've never heard this before and you've peaked my interest.
OG Kratos was all about revelling in indiscriminate wanton violence and never really grew as a character, making him an easy beacon for players who just want to chop shit up and actively resist the idea of change or growth or repercussion or consequence. Kratos might as well be one of the Pong paddles. Even the original GoW creator was upset that the newer games turned Kratos into a character.

But the fact that they were able to take this Pong paddle who was sitting there doing nothing but chopping shit up for 10+ years, intentionally doing nothing but chopping shit up, and give it a narrative arc with emotional investment, is remarkable.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 06 Mar 2024 21:27
SkyPikachu wrote: 06 Mar 2024 21:10
OG Kratos was all about revelling in indiscriminate wanton violence and never really grew as a character, making him an easy beacon for players who just want to chop shit up and actively resist the idea of change or growth or repercussion or consequence. Kratos might as well be one of the Pong paddles. Even the original GoW creator was upset that the newer games turned Kratos into a character.

But the fact that they were able to take this Pong paddle who was sitting there doing nothing but chopping shit up for 10+ years, intentionally doing nothing but chopping shit up, and give it a narrative arc with emotional investment, is remarkable.
Interesting that I instantly assumed the worst when reading this thinking the creator was a PoS but upon further looking it just seems like it's a single take he has and it doesn't seem like his whole attitude and personality, which is actually a breath of fresh air.

I can understand his point to a degree but on the other hand the series was dead unless they reinvented the character and he's now a better character for it now.

I do think there is a place in the games industry for games like the original trilogy where's it is just angry dude is angry just cause don't question play as him causing chaos they're fun arcade style but the industry has evolved as well and people do want fleshed out stories.

I do wonder if we will ever see the trilogy come to ps5 or ps6