BOTTOM 64 — Poll 18

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

Which of these two games is NOT QUITE THE BEST BUT DOESN'T DESERVE THIS FATE (YET...)?

26 — Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (1985, PC)
No votes
55 — Disco Elysium (2019, PC)
100%

Total votes: 4

This Old Neon
Administrator

BOTTOM 64 — Poll 18

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the #BGE2020 Elimination Round Lower Bracket!

Each game in the lower bracket is still seeded based on its performance in the two opening rounds of pools! Every game in the lower bracket has already been defeated by another game in a 1-on-1 poll to get to this point. This is their chance to claw their way back into the main event... but the stakes are high. The games that lose in these polls are out of the tournament for good! The games that survive will face the next crop of upper bracket losers in the next round.

Polls are updated weekly, typically on Monday. Check back throughout the week to make sure you don't miss a vote!

HOW TO VOTE

This is easy. You only get one vote per poll. The game with the most votes wins. In the event of a tie, the higher seed advances, so don't get complacent!

:belmont:
Niahak

Re: BOTTOM 64 — Poll 18

Post by Niahak »

Oof, this is a tough one for me. Both of these are text-heavy RPGs that subvert many expectations with regards to what an RPG is.

I mean, Disco Elysium is more of a visual novel that uses RPG-style conventions and attributes - a little more like old fantasy gamebooks where you had more options or saw different content based on your stats - but it works out really well, and feels like an RPG, a weird and wonderful story unfolding in ways that feel unique for your character.

I think I'll err on the side Disco Elysium. While Ultima defines your path, and you have to find it (there is one ending, and while you need to attain virtue to access it, it's relatively straightforward), in Disco Elysium there is no "the" path - while there is a general plotline you're likely to follow, there are many ways to get there and you are expected to meander - even required, I think. What I think I'm trying to say is that DE offers more freedom in how you pursue your goal, and a more flavorful story to go with it as well.