Twilight Princess HD

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Twilight Princess HD

Post by The Shoemaker »

While it doesn't look to be as much of a visual upgrade as Wind Waker HD was, I'm still pretty excited to replay this game.

Twilight Princess was my second Zelda game, my first being Wind Waker. So I didn't have a lot of expectations coming in. I really liked it as a teen, I must have beat it 5 times over. Since I hadn't played OOT before hand I didn't see a lot of the similarities between the games. It will be interesting to play it again now that's I've experienced most Zelda titles.

We don't know a terrible amount about the game, but we do know that the amount of rupees you can collect has increased, and the tears of light quests have become a tad shorter. The game also seems to be using a similar item selection system as Wind Waker HD.

Also, you can use Amiibo in the game. The Link/toon Link Amiibo restore arrows for Link (lame), and I believe Zelda/Sheik can restore hearts. The cool one is Gannon, who when scanned ups the damage from enemies by 2x. I think it' just rumoured right now that there is a hero mode difficulty in the game already, upping the damage by 2x, so it's possibly that Gannon can up the damage by 4x.

Also, there's the Wolf Link Amiibo. This unlocks a cave of ordeals-like experience in the game. Battle multiple floors of enemies as Wolf Link, and gain a prize at the end. You can also use the Wolf Link Amiibo to transfer something from this game over to Zelda U.

Here's the Amiibo trailer:
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Twilight Princess HD

Post by The Shoemaker »

Also, found out today that they decreased some of the loading times in the new game, as well as quickened the transformation to Wolf to just one button. I always thought the switching back and forth between a Wolf thing was a bit underutilized and part of it was because it was a little tedius to change into a wolf. Glad to see that has now changed. I always liked being a wolf in the field to run faster.

The only problems left with the wolf that I can see, is the combat system. It really wasn't very snazzy, it would be nice to see them give wolf Link a few new moves. That and maybe more uses for the scent feature.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I really enjoyed this on the Wii. Didn't share any of the disappointment felt by some of the Zelda fans who expected something different or more than what they got. It's among my favorite games in the series... I'm glad they are updating this for any that missed it last time or for folks who played it and just miss it :)
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

I don't own a WiiU but what I find interesting is that this looks like it might be based on the non-mirrored GameCube version.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

neuzd wrote:I don't own a WiiU but what I find interesting is that this looks like it might be based on the non-mirrored GameCube version.
I think 100% it is, as Link is left handed. I don't think they'll offer motion controls at all beyond the gyroscopic aiming.

There's also a new lantern in the game. It looks like a Poe's lantern so some people suspect it might help you search for Poe's.

I'm definitely excited to play this one again. I really did like its big world even if it was only good for riding Epona real fast. I remember the Snow mansion temple and the temple of time being real highlights.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

This game was just epic for me when the Wii came out. I loved the big world, but wished it was more populated sometimes. There were some villages with like 3 buildings and nothing else. The snow temple was also a highlight for me, especially because you had to snowboard down a mountain to get there!!!

There are some pretty scenic locations in this game and I excited to see how they will look in HD.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:This game was just epic for me when the Wii came out. I loved the big world, but wished it was more populated sometimes. There were some villages with like 3 buildings and nothing else. The snow temple was also a highlight for me, especially because you had to snowboard down a mountain to get there!!!

There are some pretty scenic locations in this game and I excited to see how they will look in HD.
There were really only 3 towns, Ordon, Hyrule Castle and Kakariko. The rest of the towns were just little settlements from what I remember. Would be cool to see more large towns like Hyrule Castle.

But yeah the game is pretty scenic, should look good on our HD TV's. I hope they put a lot of work into making the Twilight portions look really good. Those sections of the game could be stunning if they pull all the stops.
Humphries90

Post by Humphries90 »

I played the original when my Dad got a Wii. Played it non-stop every time I visited at the weekends, since I was like 15/16 at the time it was a big of enough pull to take me away from hanging around with my friends instead.

I remember I really enjoyed it, sadly my memories are a little fuzzy on it now. I remember the opening being a little slow, I remember the Eldin bridge thing and little flashes of some of the temples. The HD make over will be welcome for me and it seems they're tweaking some aspects to make it better!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Humphries90 wrote:I played the original when my Dad got a Wii. Played it non-stop every time I visited at the weekends, since I was like 15/16 at the time it was a big of enough pull to take me away from hanging around with my friends instead.

I remember I really enjoyed it, sadly my memories are a little fuzzy on it now. I remember the opening being a little slow, I remember the Eldin bridge thing and little flashes of some of the temples. The HD make over will be welcome for me and it seems they're tweaking some aspects to make it better!
I don't think I remember as much of the game as I think I do, so just like you it'll probably feel pretty new in its own way.

There have been a few new details over the past week or so; there is indeed gyroscoptic aiming, and you can equip items on the fly with the GamePad just like Wind Waker HD. Pro Controller can be used as well. New Poe Lantern lets you spot Poe's during the day, Hero Mode is in the game with a flipped world from the Wii version as well. Also they added Miiverse stamps to find hidden in chests throughout the world. I'm sure most people don't care about Miiverse stamps, but honestly they sound way more interesting to collect than endless rupee's.

Here's another comparison trailer. I'll say again that the differences aren't that noticable, but what I am pleased with are the textures on the walls and ground. Much less of a blurry mess here.

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I just pre-ordered this game on Amazon. It comes with the amiibo and it was only $47.99 for Amazong Prime members! That is cheaper than the digital copy!
I intend to live forever, or die trying