Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 24 Apr 2019 13:53
Kong Wen wrote: 24 Apr 2019 13:26I hate the Islanders, even moreso now because of how they treated their franchise player Tavares when he came back to town with Toronto. No class whatsoever. I hate Washington and the Hurricanes about equally, so I really can't decide who to cheer for in these series.
What happened? If it's just booing then that's understandable he did leave them and being boo'd is the polite process but I feel like being america they probably did something horrid like start some horrid chant or throw stuff at him.
You boo someone who crushed one of your star players or takes penalties against you in the playoffs. When a guy who gave your shit-stain team 10 years of his prime simply goes to another team, you give him a standing ovation when he comes back to town.

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 Apr 2019 14:00
Slurmee wrote: 24 Apr 2019 13:53
Kong Wen wrote: 24 Apr 2019 13:26I hate the Islanders, even moreso now because of how they treated their franchise player Tavares when he came back to town with Toronto. No class whatsoever. I hate Washington and the Hurricanes about equally, so I really can't decide who to cheer for in these series.
What happened? If it's just booing then that's understandable he did leave them and being boo'd is the polite process but I feel like being america they probably did something horrid like start some horrid chant or throw stuff at him.
You boo someone who crushed one of your star players or takes penalties against you in the playoffs. When a guy who gave your shit-stain team 10 years of his prime simply goes to another team, you give him a standing ovation when he comes back to town.

I think it really depends on the situation. If the Islanders traded him or dropped him then I'd understand but he basically went up and moved as he wanted to play somewhere else. Maybe it's a bigger deal in Australian sports as players aren't traded and thrown around like in American sports as much unless a team basically says they don't want to sign you anymore but we boo them here.

Eg. My local rugby team had 3 star players and one of them decided to move to sydney for his girlfriend and ended up winning the grand final for the other team against us. We sure as hell boo him every time he's back here. It's basically fueled the rivalry even more.

My AFL team does the same thing too.

I boo'd (at my tv) at stastny when I saw him playing the avs after ditching Colorado for our rival division team St. Louis.

To hate a whole team because they're upset their star player left seems pretty insane.

Also think of it like this Tavares moved because he doesn't think the Islanders were good enough it's pretty hard not to take that personally.

Also it depends on if the Islanders media team put on a reel like ottawa did. If they boo'd him during a thank you montage then that's stupid and I agree fuck the Islanders but my above post is strictly for if it was just during the match when he touches the puck.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 24 Apr 2019 14:29 Also it depends on if the Islanders media team put on a reel like ottawa did. If they boo'd him during a thank you montage then that's stupid and I agree fuck the Islanders but my above post is strictly for if it was just during the match when he touches the puck.
They played a tribute video, and they booed him while he was saluting the fans for it, and then during his whole first shift, and they brought a bunch of signs making fun of him.

I hate them because they were managed by morons like Garth Snow who signed second-rate players like Rick DiPietro to 25-year contracts and then never built a team around their superstar player—never even tried. Having classless fans is just the nail in the coffin.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 Apr 2019 14:40
Slurmee wrote: 24 Apr 2019 14:29 Also it depends on if the Islanders media team put on a reel like ottawa did. If they boo'd him during a thank you montage then that's stupid and I agree fuck the Islanders but my above post is strictly for if it was just during the match when he touches the puck.
They played a tribute video, and they booed him while he was saluting the fans for it, and then during his whole first shift, and they brought a bunch of signs making fun of him.

I hate them because they were managed by morons like Garth Snow who signed second-rate players like Rick DiPietro to 25-year contracts and then never built a team around their superstar player—never even tried. Having classless fans is just the nail in the coffin.
Okay yeah that's just disrespectful.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

For the second round I’ll go with...
EAST:
Columbus defeating Boston in 6
Carolina defeating New York (Islanders) in 5

WEST:
Colorado defeating San Jose in 6
Dallas defeating St. Louis in 6
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

kitroplious wrote: 24 Apr 2019 19:37 For the second round I’ll go with...
EAST:
Columbus defeating Boston in 6
Carolina defeating New York (Islanders) in 5

WEST:
Colorado defeating San Jose in 6
Dallas defeating St. Louis in 6
Seems weird seeing these teams suggested to be the top 4.

Started watching hockey in 2011-12 Stanley Cup Final (And properly in 2012-13 season)

Columbus finished 30th in 2011-12 (17th in 2012-13)
Carolina finished 23rd in 2011-12 (26th in 2012-13)
Colorado finished 20th in 2011-12 (29th in 2012-13)
Dallas finished 18th in 2011-12 (21st in 2012-13)

Since then (excluding 2018-19). Which is 8 seasons
Columbus have made the playoffs 3 times losing in the first round in all 3
Carolina haven't made the playoffs
Colorado have made the playoffs 2 times losing in the first round in both
Dallas have made the playoffs 2 times losing in the first round in in 2013-14 and 2nd round in 2015-16

I could give a pass to Dallas but the other 3 have been performing really badly with this year and 2017-18 being huge turning points for these teams.

It's really great seeing this swing and seeing teams like Los Angeles, Detroit, NY Rangers, Anaheim and Chicago playing poorly not to mention Pittsburgh, Washington and Nashville (Kinda) getting knocked out round one leaving the floor open for all these brand new teams.

Boston, San Jose and St. Louis are the only real regular playoff teams left and San Jose and St. Louis have never been able to win the Stanley Cup.

I find this really exciting.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Eastern Conference Final

Picking Carolina to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

Hopefully Torts comes back to Columbus next year, but probably doubt that.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Western Conference Final

Picking St. Louis to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.
If that doesn’t happen, then a Boston-San Jose matchup should (providing Carolina also loses) just for the storyline that started ages ago (Joe Thornton, etc.)
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Idk the results of todays match.

I think Boston will go through in 6

St. Louis will beat San Jose (in 7) then St. Louis will win it and and somehow the 1 team from the final 8 I didn't want to win it all will win it all.

Btw thoughts on Colorado's no goal?
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The winner of the western conference final will win the Stanley Cup Final. I just want to see the licking bear get swept. It would be hilarious.

So far it’s like the New York Islanders swept the Pittsburgh Penguins, who then got swept by the Carolina Hurricanes, who then got swept by the Boston Bruins.