Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

Post by Claytone »

My allegiances, as always, are regional. I will root for the Preds as long as they are in Nashville, as I have since my parents bought half-season tickets some ~16 years ago. Caught the opener and liked what I saw, but then they turned around and got dumped on by the Wings. Oh well. Long season ahead!

Won't really be super tuned in to hockey until Atlanta's out of the post-season in baseball, which could be as early as Wednesday. But let's hope not. ⚾️
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Just heard Don Cherry got fired. I'm sad but not surprised. Little surprised by how tame the actual comment that got him fired was compared to others but none the less this was bound to happen. I'm going to miss some of his insight on hockey but I always cringed at his political/non hockey related chitter chat.

I found the way he presented the hockey info as very entertaining and educational.

Honestly surprised he lasted this long.

Also watch the Avs v preds games last week and wow did the Avs play well without landeskog and Rantanen (was bummed I couldn't watch Rantanen play)
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

John Hynes is the new Preds head coach. Fanbase doesn't seem thrilled about it. Oh well! Berube wasn't exactly lighting things up in Philly before he went to St. Louis, so who knows. Fingers crossed! 🤞
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 07 Jan 2020 21:04 John Hynes is the new Preds head coach. Fanbase doesn't seem thrilled about it. Oh well! Berube wasn't exactly lighting things up in Philly before he went to St. Louis, so who knows. Fingers crossed! 🤞
He's kind of a sidegrade from what you had which is probably why people don't seem thrilled right now, but often when it comes to coaching, changing things up a bit is all it takes. Dude's an NHL-level coach so it's not like he's bad. Just have to find the right fit to make everything come together.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 07 Jan 2020 21:08
Claytone wrote: 07 Jan 2020 21:04 John Hynes is the new Preds head coach. Fanbase doesn't seem thrilled about it. Oh well! Berube wasn't exactly lighting things up in Philly before he went to St. Louis, so who knows. Fingers crossed! 🤞
He's kind of a sidegrade from what you had which is probably why people don't seem thrilled right now, but often when it comes to coaching, changing things up a bit is all it takes. Dude's an NHL-level coach so it's not like he's bad. Just have to find the right fit to make everything come together.
Well Pekka scored, so I can only assume we're winning the cup now!

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1215485144821313537
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Season postponed
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Has the NHL come back from Corona-postpona yet? They could maybe start doing some games without in-house fans as long as they could figure out a way to keep the players from infecting each other.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Tampa Bay repeats as Stanley Cup champions with the series win last night over their pre-corona Atlantic division rivals, the Montreal Canadiens. Tampa also won while games were played in “the bubble” in October 2020 over the Dallas Stars.

I’m super late to this, but it’s been pretty much a full house in the United States of America as the playoffs went on, especially in the final. There were some fans permitted for games played in Montreal late in the playoff run (around 3,500).
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Bigger news than some chumps who won a fake Stanley Cup in a fake season:

Pekka Rinne is retiring after 15 seasons with the Preds. Class act. I'm sure Nashvillains will be sad to see him go.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Really hope Tampa don't win another cup for a while now. Especially with a 32 team comp would really like to have different winners.