Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

Post by Kong Wen »

Link to the 2014-15 NHL Regular Season Hockey Pool

Happy Canada Day! Today is the traditional opening of free agent frenzy, and all the trades that usually come with it. I know we have a few hockey fans here (at least me, kitroplious, Kreegs, and Slurmee, and probably more), so I figured now would be a good time to start a hockey thread to discuss the action.

We can also use this thread to discuss during the NHL season, as well as any other hockey-related events that people get excited about (international play, local events, etc.).

What are everyone's thoughts on some of today's big moves so far?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Hockey Thread! (NHL etc.)

Post by Claytone »

I have a hard time keeping my eye on more than the Preds, so consequently, I really only took notice that Hartnell is on the move again, but that was a few days ago, and I don't really have any input on that. I'll be relying on you guys to fill me in on what all the player shuffling going on means for the league. I've always yearned for more hockey fans among my peers, so maybe some of you kind folks can fill the gap. :D

For other offseason matters, I'm just anxious to see how our (Nashville's) new coach does. Trotz was our only coach in franchise history, so it'll definitely be something new for us. More shots on goal would be nice. That's all I can really ask for. Anyone know a little more about Laviolette than me? I know he won a cup several years ago, but I don't know if he's a good hire or not overall. I notice he took a slide in terms of wins over the past couple seasons, but I don't know if that was the result of poor coaching or other factors.
You got BOOST power!
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

It'll be interesting how Vancouver does this season, after the beginning of 2014 right until end of last season was a huge collapse.

I might try and get the NHL Gamecenter subscription this year (or at least try and find a way to watch the LA Kings on live stream). It's a shame that HNIC can't do live games on CBC's website anymore, thanks to the Rogers deal.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

The Maple Leafs did nothing. NOTHING. That is my contribution this year; please feel free to copy/paste for the 2015/16 season.

Go Blue Jays!
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Bye bye Stastny :(

HELLO IGINLA!!! :shock: :o :D
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:The Maple Leafs did nothing. NOTHING. That is my contribution this year; please feel free to copy/paste for the 2015/16 season.
Sure, they brought back some chumps that weren't good enough for the team the first time!
Slurmee wrote:Bye bye Stastny :(

HELLO IGINLA!!! :shock: :o :D
I'd rather have Stastny...

Anyway, the Wings have been quiet so far, which is a good thing IMO. They always seem to scrape up a grizzled old veteran at this time of year and then rely on their own drafting & minors systems to shore up the youthful side of the team, but the old-timers are seldom useful.

I think the most interesting move of the off-season so far is Chicago picking up Brad Richards for $2M. He's past his prime, but that's a pretty cheap investment considering the contract NYR just bought out, and he'll basically just be asked to plug a very small hole for an otherwise solid team (2nd line centre).

EDIT to prevent double-post: There are a few other big transactions, too, but I find them boring in general. Washington springing for Orpik and Niskanen should improve the team. Hiller going to Calgary should improve the team but still not put them in contention unless they do something else. Spezza and Hemsky to Dallas improves the team significantly, probably enough to put them back into the playoff picture, but zzzzzz. And Vanek going to the Wild should be a nice improvement for them, but one wonders why Heatley only scored under 30 points in 70-odd games...
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: I'd rather have Stastny...
Not at a 7mil Cap when we have MacKinnon that can fill his place.

But I do agree Stastny is the better player. Iginla however will bring in some much needed veteran skills to the ice and the locker rooms. Which I'm glad about.

Hopefully we can pull a Ray Bourque for Iginla.

Islanders signed Kulemin and Grabovski which is a big shock.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Clay, this one's for you! It looks like the Nashville Predators have signed Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy to 1-year contracts.

Ribeiro's a bit of a scumbag who sometimes plays and sometimes doesn't depending on how he's feeling, but he should be able to put up 40 points with a decent team around him. IMO Roy is a better player, but he's coming off an injury, so his productivity will depend on how well he recovers. Both players should give the Preds a little bit of an offensive boost, though, which is something the team (and its fans) kind of needs.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:Clay, this one's for you! It looks like the Nashville Predators have signed Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy to 1-year contracts.

Ribeiro's a bit of a scumbag who sometimes plays and sometimes doesn't depending on how he's feeling, but he should be able to put up 40 points with a decent team around him. IMO Roy is a better player, but he's coming off an injury, so his productivity will depend on how well he recovers. Both players should give the Preds a little bit of an offensive boost, though, which is something the team (and its fans) kind of needs.
I saw that but didn't know what to make of it. Appreciate the rundown!

Scumbags and injuries notwithstanding, you're damn right we need some points. Been at the bottom of the league in that regard for too many years. I'll be excited to see where this season goes on the offensive side of the ice for sure.
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Claytone wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:Clay, this one's for you! It looks like the Nashville Predators have signed Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy to 1-year contracts.

I saw that but didn't know what to make of it. Appreciate the rundown!

Scumbags and injuries notwithstanding, you're damn right we need some points. Been at the bottom of the league in that regard for too many years. I'll be excited to see where this season goes on the offensive side of the ice for sure.
Nashville look promising. Fucking Central Division looks promising.