RIP Famous People :(

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Re: RIP Famous People :(

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Just heard that George Michael died yesterday. Haven't heard anything new of his music for years, but what he made before had some good songs.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Just heard that George Michael died yesterday. Haven't heard anything new of his music for years, but what he made before had some good songs.
He was only 53, and the headlines I've read say he died "peacefully in his home"—you don't usually hear that kind of wording unless the death was expected, but I didn't know that he was ill. I guess we'll find out eventually.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

My opinion is that many of these celebrities who died in 2016 grew up in a culture which defended and even encouraged rampant drug use. I believe that this had health ramifications which are now visibly apparent. Call me heartless for being frank if you want, but I feel that this is a "you reap what you sow" situation. Meanwhile, while celebrities and the wealthy can do all the drugs they want without legal consequence, poor people are frequently thrown in prison for the same "crime." Sometimes they are even thrown in private prisons where their labor is abused for substandard wages. Consequently, I feel absolutely no sympathy for these celebrities.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Star Wars Rogue One spoiler -
Spoiler
I will say with Carrie Ficher, I went and saw Rogue One the day that she had died and it was a little surreal seeing the young CGI version of herself at the end of the movie. That scene ended the movie, and everyone in the theater started clapping. Not sure if it was for the movie, or for Carrie, but it was neat.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Shoe, I had the same experience, although it wasn't my first time seeing the movie. Still, even though I expected that scene, I still felt moved.

I certainly don't feel that celebrities deserve any more sympathy (or, consequently, any less) than anyone else. But, as public figures, for better or worse, they are people around whom us poor commoners' shared cultural experiences are developed. Not every celebrity's life or work means something to everyone, but some certainly do to some, and on those occasions, it's worth remembering them, and maybe even mourning/grieving in whatever way helps—heck, even if that's only to reify the reality of death at arms-length.

Drug and alcohol abuse certainly doesn't help one's chances at living forever, but when an unhealthy life contributes to death, it's still a person whose life ended.

This is probably just the way Facebook works, but 2016 is the first year where I started feeling anxiety every time I saw someone's name mentioned in the trending feed. "Patrick Stewart"—"No! ... Ah, it's just a movie he's in."
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Chris Cornell died (52). He's not someone whose artistry I ever delved deeply into, but his music did form a part of the background tapestry of my youth. News says he died suddenly, which could mean overdose, could mean suicide. If it were an accident or something I suspect we would be hearing more details.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Roger Ailes, the former CEO of Fox News, also died. Adiós, asshole! The world's better without him.
You got BOOST power!
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

They should install a camera near his grave to record all the people that will tap-dance on it.
Claytone wrote:Roger Ailes, the former CEO of Fox News, also died. Adiós, asshole! The world's better without him.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:Chris Cornell died (52). He's not someone whose artistry I ever delved deeply into, but his music did form a part of the background tapestry of my youth. News says he died suddenly, which could mean overdose, could mean suicide. If it were an accident or something I suspect we would be hearing more details.
Confirmed suicide by hanging. I like Audioslave...
I intend to live forever, or die trying