RIP Famous People :(

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: RIP Famous People :(

Post by Kong Wen »

Tom Petty is now officially dead. :( I can't say he was always one of my favourite artists, but I did enjoy his work and his humour, and he ended up being a big influence on me musically.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Everyone in Canada already knows, and everyone else will say "who?", but Gord Downie finally succumbed to his cancer. Wasn't generally a fan of The Hip past their early albums, but his influence was legendary, and his poetry touched an awful lot of people.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote: 20 Oct 2017 01:27 Everyone in Canada already knows, and everyone else will say "who?", but Gord Downie finally succumbed to his cancer. Wasn't generally a fan of The Hip past their early albums, but his influence was legendary, and his poetry touched an awful lot of people.
There are relatively few things that unite people across Canada in their Canadianness. Hockey. The Jays. Timmies. Canada is a very regionalized nation, by necessity due to its small population spread over immense geographical area. Love or hate the Hip, Gord is one of those few things. Watching that last concert on CBC made me feel in touch with the rest of the nation in a way I hadn't since maybe the Vancouver Olympics.

I'm one of the folks who didn't care for the Hip at all. A few years back, I accidentally won a contest to go see them, backstage passes, chill with the band, etc. (I was entered without my knowledge by signing up for a new phone package.) So we went, Gord was a bit stand-offish, but the rest of the band was cool. But I really respected Gord's decision to tour, to keep making music, and art, and stay on the political edge, and to keep living his passion until the very end.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Youtuber Total Biscuit just lost his fight to cancer today at age 33 :(

Youtube Channel

I believe he'd been battling this cancer for a while and late april he made a health update explaining that this was pretty much it so it wasn't a shock death. Nonetheless still very sad nobody deserves to get cancer.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Danny Kirwan died yesterday. ☹️ He was one of the three guitarists from the good lineup of Fleetwood Mac. He wasn't one of the founders, but Peter Green added him in advance of Then Play On, and their interplay was glorious. He stayed on to lead the group for one album after Green left, and then he left too and didn't do much after that. This would have been in 1973 or so.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Stan Lee died. He lived a long life so not as tragic as some of these other much younger deaths but still the end of a chapter for him. Not sure if he had much imput on stuff recently with new content so no idea if we'll see things change with his characters. May his memory be a blessing
Last edited by SkyPikachu on 13 Nov 2018 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Stan Lee keep indirectly enriching my life even after his passing. Yesterday I learned that the proper and respectful way to memorialize the death of a Jewish person is not to say "RIP" (because Jews don't believe in an afterlife) but "may his memory be a blessing." For Stan Lee, I couldn't think of a more appropriate phrase.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 13 Nov 2018 13:55 Stan Lee keep indirectly enriching my life even after his passing. Yesterday I learned that the proper and respectful way to memorialize the death of a Jewish person is not to say "RIP" (because Jews don't believe in an afterlife) but "may his memory be a blessing." For Stan Lee, I couldn't think of a more appropriate phrase.
I like that. Rip has lost so much meaning these days due to it being used as a way to say you died in a game and as a strong believer that the after life doesn't exist"
"may his memory be a blessing" seems perfect.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Just seeing on Twitter now that Peter Tork has died. :(
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

RIP Tardar Sauce, a.k.a. Grumpy Cat, who had just turned 7 last month. Quite young for a cat. :(