What are you reading?

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

What are you reading?

Post by Kong Wen »

Let's use this thread to discuss what we're reading! You can provide a little write-up on what you're currently reading, or write a mini-review of the last book you read.

I just picked up Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline earlier this morning on Sharecrow's recommendation, to read by the pool during my vacation. I haven't put much of a dent in it yet so it's too early to say how it is.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: What are you reading?

Post by VictorViper »

Last book: The Metamorphosis (Kafka)

Currently reading: Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower IV)

I've really been enjoying King's epic dark fantasy. I've been told by several people that this volume is the pinnacle of the series and to expect a downhill slide from here, but I'm not deterred. I've been reading a totally different book between volumes, so...

Next book: TBD, suggestions welcome
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I'm a little more than halfway through my re-read of James Clavell's Whirlwind. Good stuff so far. But Clavell is consistently good so it's in line with what I've come to expect from him. His books are enormous though.

I'm also a little more than halfway through Ben Bova's The Immortality Factor, which I bought on kindle as I got a really nice leather bound signed copy of it and was curious about the book I'd bought. Ben Bova is a good author but some of his books are amazing and others are just good. This one is one of his better books of the four or five I've read. I've been pleasantly surprised. The book is about using stem cells to regenerate organs inside patients' bodies. Aside from the subject matter, which is interesting and exciting, the characters and their relationships are pretty well developed. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

VictorViper wrote: Next book: TBD, suggestions welcome
If I get a vote, I strongly encourage you to read Camus' The Stranger. It's short and wonderful.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:Next book: TBD, suggestions welcome
My recommendation will depend on what you're in the mood for.

EDIT: Since your unchained appetites mean you'll apparently read anything at any time, my two official recommendations are Luo Guanzhong's Three Kingdoms (a 3000-page work of epic historical fiction set during my favourite period of military and political intrigue) and Charlotte Perkins Gilman's Herland (a 100-page early feminist utopian fiction that explores the socially-constructed nature of gender, and which can be found fairly easily for $0.75 in a Dover Thrift Edition).
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

I'm not the kind of guy that is into books, but I picked up and read "Earth: The Book" (Daily Show with Jon Stewart), a few years ago; making fun of those children's learning books from school. The book is addressed to the aliens, as they learn about us, our culture (and why we're not here!)
Forscyvus
Aspirant

Post by Forscyvus »

I'm currently reading The Blind Assassin for a class. I've got Godel Escher Bach and Dune waiting when I actually get back into reading for realsies
lol hello
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I've been meaning to read The Blind Assassin for a while now and it completely flew off my radar. Thanks for the reminder!

Share, Jog, your recommendations have been noted and I'll probably tackle both after Wizard and Glass. As for the 3000 page historical epic, that'll probably take some gearing up before I'm ready to dive in. :)
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

I've been really slack though and only read 5-6 chapters in a couple of months. The internet is very distracting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:Share, Jog, your recommendations have been noted and I'll probably tackle both after Wizard and Glass. As for the 3000 page historical epic, that'll probably take some gearing up before I'm ready to dive in. :)
The Moss Roberts translation of Three Kingdoms is actually my favourite work of literary fiction, so that wasn't a glib recommendation (only the contrast between them was ;)). I think Share and Kiwi have read it now, and Allo has started it maybe.