PlayStation VR

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

PlayStation VR

Post by Kong Wen »

Sony's VR unit is coming out in October, with a launch price of USD $399 & CAD $549. It'll come with their Playroom VR tech demo, but the camera and Move controllers will have to be purchased separately, if you want them.

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Re: PlayStation VR

Post by Spore »

SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Woo VR which I can't use because I can't see out of both my eyes at once. I haven't really been following VR but aren't people getting sick from using it after like 20 minutes? For my own selfishness I really hope VR just fails miserably.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Slurmee wrote:Woo VR which I can't use because I can't see out of both my eyes at once. I haven't really been following VR but aren't people getting sick from using it after like 20 minutes? For my own selfishness I really hope VR just fails miserably.
If you can see out of one of your eyes you can use VR. Yes, there are people who get nauseous using VR. But there are also people who get nauseous reading a book in a moving vehicle. Some people are just predisposed to it. Others aren't. And luckily your hopes have already been dashed.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Spore wrote:
Slurmee wrote:Woo VR which I can't use because I can't see out of both my eyes at once. I haven't really been following VR but aren't people getting sick from using it after like 20 minutes? For my own selfishness I really hope VR just fails miserably.
If you can see out of one of your eyes you can use VR. Yes, there are people who get nauseous using VR. But there are also people who get nauseous reading a book in a moving vehicle. Some people are just predisposed to it. Others aren't. And luckily your hopes have already been dashed.
Are you sure (about one eye) as I was told otherwise ages ago. The nauseous people seemed to be a on a much higher rate than say reading a book in a moving vehicle or watching 3D.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Slurmee wrote: Are you sure (about one eye) as I was told otherwise ages ago. The nauseous people seemed to be a on a much higher rate than say reading a book in a moving vehicle or watching 3D.
Yes I'm sure about one eye. The only thing you'll miss by only seeing out of one eye is stereoscopic 3D and you're presumably already used to that. As for nausea, it's only going to become more mitigated as the technology matures. The first Rift prototype didn't have any positional tracking and a low resolution which made many people queasy. The second one limited the effect significantly by improving all these aspects as well as the refresh rate of the screen while also providing basic positional tracking so that your own movements could better match that in a game. The consumer Rift once again ups all the specs. Most reports of nausea in modern hardware comes to a game being designed poorly (the current Minecraft VR version comes to mind). I don't think I've ever read of somebody getting sick with the Vive as it can provide more or less 1 to 1 movement of your physical body and the game. The PSVR is capable of a super comfortable 120Hz refresh (compared to the competition's 90Hz), so despite a less robust tracking solution it should work decently. To summarize, at this point VR nausea mostly comes down to the software and not the hardware. We're pretty much still in the Lumière days of VR software development. Wait until the developers have had a couple years to learn the language before passing judgement.

Edit: Funnily enough, Oculus has gone over every game they're showing at GDC and given them a rating based on how comfortable they are for VR newcomers.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

It's a lot of money! Hopefully retailers set up some displays units for either this or the other VR products.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

The Shoemaker wrote:It's a lot of money! Hopefully retailers set up some displays units for either this or the other VR products.
HTC has started demoing Vive in stores in the UK and I imagine that will spread. Many Best Buys already demo Gear VR's. I imagine once the headsets are actually released you'll see Rifts and certainly PSVR's in store locations. It's definitely the most effective way to advertise VR.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Geez, Sony targetted 1M sold units in 6 months (that would be April), but they're already close to hitting that goal at the end of February. That's actually quite a success—surprising to me, though perhaps not to others with their ears closer to the VR ground.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Kong Wen wrote:Geez, Sony targetted 1M sold units in 6 months (that would be April), but they're already close to hitting that goal at the end of February. That's actually quite a success—surprising to me, though perhaps not to others with their ears closer to the VR ground.
It's indeed very satisfying to see it doing well. I don't know if I'd call it too much of a surprise. People are hyped and the price is decent. Presumably it would be doing even better but has faced serious stock issues in Japan. Folks just wanna be a bit closer to their waifus and this is the way to do it. What I wonder is how much RE7 contributed to the success. Seemed like a large fraction of PSVR players played it according to the RE7 stats page.