Super Mario Run

A place to discuss mobile gaming across all tablet and smartphone platforms, including Android, iOS, and Windows.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Super Mario Run

Post by Kong Wen »

So Apple trotted out Shigero Miyamoto to talk about Nintendo's uninspired endless runner, Super Mario Run, which I believe will be Nintendo's first official mobile game. But hey, it has Mario in it!! Hopefully this is just Nintendo testing the shallow waters with a really easy, effortless entry and then we'll begin to see more worthwhile games from them in the future.

At least they haven't gone whole hog on the cynical freemium cash-in. Super Mario Run is reportedly a flat cost, with no subscription or microtransactions. EDIT: There will be in-app purchases.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Super Mario Run

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:So Apple trotted out Shigero Miyamoto to talk about Nintendo's uninspired endless runner, Super Mario Run, which I believe will be Nintendo's first official mobile game. But hey, it has Mario in it!! Hopefully this is just Nintendo testing the shallow waters with a really easy, effortless entry and then we'll begin to see more worthwhile games from them in the future.

At least they haven't gone whole hog on the cynical freemium cash-in. Super Mario Run is reportedly a flat cost, with no subscription or microtransactions. EDIT: There will be in-app purchases.
Miitomo was their first game, unless you mean you only consider that an App.

I'm thinking the in App purchase is purchasing the game itself, since you initially download it for free to try it out.

I like the little Toad Scramble mode they showed. I wish the art style was more like the promotional material/3D World, and not NSMB. I would have thought they would create a more nostalgic art style/music selection. Maybe NSMB is familiar for IOS users.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Might need to read up on this and add some of it into my piece.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Costing $$$ is a huge turn off for iOS games there's just so much free content that I can play so much content for free that I usually overlook anything that costs $$$. I don't even have a card/account attached to my apple account. So doubt I'll buy it.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:Costing $$$ is a huge turn off for iOS games there's just so much free content that I can play so much content for free that I usually overlook anything that costs $$$. I don't even have a card/account attached to my apple account. So doubt I'll buy it.
It's by Nintendo.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

If its Mario and made by Nintendo, people will buy it.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:Costing $$$ is a huge turn off for iOS games there's just so much free content that I can play so much content for free that I usually overlook anything that costs $$$. I don't even have a card/account attached to my apple account. So doubt I'll buy it.
Will be interesting to see how it does, but I know a lot of fans of Pokemon Go and Miitomo wish those games were just one set price. Which is why Miyamoto made a point of saying it's one price, as that's something some people want to see. We'll just have to see if the free start will encourage people to buy the whole thing.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Hmm, couldn't find a confirmation but it seems iOS 10 would be required. Or at least an iDevice that can run iOS 10, as both my iPhone 4S and iPad mini both aren't compatible with Super Mario Run :(
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Hmm, couldn't find a confirmation but it seems iOS 10 would be required. Or at least an iDevice that can run iOS 10, as both my iPhone 4S and iPad mini both aren't compatible with Super Mario Run :(
You're supposed to buy an iPhone 7, silly! Apple's and Nintendo's millionaires' yachts aren't going to pay for themselves, you know!
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kong Wen wrote:
MerlinDrazziw wrote:Hmm, couldn't find a confirmation but it seems iOS 10 would be required. Or at least an iDevice that can run iOS 10, as both my iPhone 4S and iPad mini aren't compatible with Super Mario Run :(
You're supposed to buy an iPhone 7, silly! Apple's and Nintendo's millionaires' yachts aren't going to pay for themselves, you know!
Got an iPhone SE now, so I signed up for a notification when the game is available.
Grt. Merlin