Pokémon NX

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Pokémon NX

Post by Kreegs »

The head of the Pokémon company let slip that they are working on a Pokémon title for the NX. Release date is unknown.

Thinking along the lines of the the NX being both a home and on the go experience, what do you think this title could realistically look like? How could this "home and away" system work for Pokémon? What would you hope for?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Pokémon NX

Post by The Shoemaker »

The most interesting bit of news here was that the president basically confirmed that NX is a console-handheld device.

To be honest, I expect NX to replace both the Wii U and 3DS, so I'm thinking regular Pokemon games will continue on NX. Of course being an HD system they would have to really overhaul the whole game engine to look acceptable as a home console game as well. Would be interesting to see if they continue to do the isometric top down look for the games, and keep things like random battles.

Lots of speculation for now.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

NX backwards compatible with 3DS maybe? I feel like it's more likely than Wii U
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

If NX is seriously going to be some kind of portable gaming console, I might actually be interested in it. Nintendo always does better with the portables. Moreover, if they're consolidating all their energy into a single platform, they might be able to bring their A game to it.

I actually think that if they're developing a Pokemon game on NX, it's either going to be a Sun/Moon port or third version for Gen 7. I don't think Nintendo would screw around and release some Pokemon spinoff at launch, but I could be wrong. I think they are probably intending to go for broke and have a strong launch with a game that they know will move console sales because of its popularity. If it's a Sun/Moon port I would expect some kind of special features for the NX version.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Of course being an HD system they would have to really overhaul the whole game engine to look acceptable as a home console game as well.
Eh, not necessarily. They could still be designed like regular Poker man games. It's not like all home console games are AAA smooth 4D graphical extravaganzas.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Of course being an HD system they would have to really overhaul the whole game engine to look acceptable as a home console game as well.
Eh, not necessarily. They could still be designed like regular Poker man games. It's not like all home console games are AAA smooth 4D graphical extravaganzas.
What I'm getting at here is that 3DS has a resolution of 240p, NX is likely somewhere between 720-1080p. Big jump for the series in terms of detail. I'm not expecting Pokken, but a bigger leap in visual quality than we've seen so far.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:
What I'm getting at here is that 3DS has a resolution of 240p, NX is likely somewhere between 720-1080p. Big jump for the series in terms of detail. I'm not expecting Pokken, but a bigger leap in visual quality than we've seen so far.
Surely it'll be 1080p consider the competition is got 4K on their systems. 1080p (or 720p) Pokemon would be amazing if graphically done right.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I really don't think they need to (or even should) go too bananas with an overhaul of the game's presentation. it is, after all, a game largely defined by (mostly) static images, supported by poorly animated cartoons. Countless games have shown what sprite work can look like in HD and the results can be spectacular in skilled hands.

Honestly, a I think a Pokémon game that fully embraces its already established art-style could be quite the looker indeed.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

VictorViper wrote:I really don't think they need to (or even should) go too bananas with an overhaul of the game's presentation. it is, after all, a game largely defined by (mostly) static images, supported by poorly animated cartoons. Countless games have shown what sprite work can look like in HD and the results can be spectacular in skilled hands.

Honestly, a I think a Pokémon game that fully embraces its already established art-style could be quite the looker indeed.
I agree. Nintendo has been about gameplay recently. Graphics help, but I am a much bigger fan of the gameplay.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:
VictorViper wrote:I really don't think they need to (or even should) go too bananas with an overhaul of the game's presentation. it is, after all, a game largely defined by (mostly) static images, supported by poorly animated cartoons. Countless games have shown what sprite work can look like in HD and the results can be spectacular in skilled hands.

I agree. Nintendo has been about gameplay recently. Graphics help, but I am a much bigger fan of the gameplay.
I always see this is a false dichotomy, and I don't think that's exactly what Vic is saying. You can have a game with perfectly fun gameplay AND beautiful, high-definition graphics. There are a whole heck of a lot of them, actually. It's my opinion that a home console Pokeémon game can make full use of beautiful 1080/60 while maintaining its own simple traditional graphical style.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming