Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Discussion

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Discussion

Post by Kreegs »

Because this is a slightly different game, and that save files don't transfer, I thought I would make a new thread for this. Here are a few things I have noticed so far:

GOOD
- The new purple ultra slide power turn supreme is pretty cool. Happens a ton to me on Music Park and you zoom zoom.
- I LOVE the huge crown you get to wear in the online lobby after winning a race. <3 <3
- Playing with the pro controller feels great.

BAD
- Online is essentially the same as the Wii U version, which means it is fine for now. I am really hoping this improves when the real Switch online system arrives.
- For some reason, the game turns on the auto turn help function from the get-go. I would try to do some high flying short cuts and would be sharply turned back on the track. After pausing, I found that I had to toggle the first option off (turn assist), leave the second on to joystick controls, and leave the third option for auto accelerate off. Seems to me that all these should be turned off from the start and you could add ones you needed.

I am currently using baby peach with standard everything. I still like this game a lot. It is really fun!

What are you initial thoughts? I have yet to try battle mode, but I should have time this weekend.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Discussion

Post by The Shoemaker »

I imagine it's turned on from the beginning because the ones who need it wouldn't think to turn it on, while the ones who don't want it would know to run it off :p Kind of like how Breath of the Wild automatically turns on the shrine sensor but you can immediately turn it off.

The double item blocks are a surprisingly great addition. It makes the game more engaging in first place, as you have the choice of picking the optimal route or grabbing the double items. This will gaurentee you get at least one defensive item, which means you don't have to hold the same shell the whole race because you don't want to use it and then get a coin for your next item. This also means you'll be using items more frequently.

Online is a shame. I was hoping they would add something to really keep you engaged, like weekly challenges or something. We'll see what changes when the online app hits but that's still months away.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

You know where I think this game would really shine? 4-player local multiplayer where everyone has their own screen. Local multiplayer has always been lightyears more entertaining than online racing anyway, and eliminating the split-screen is pretty much the only way to improve on that experience. Too bad it requires 3 friends who also want to buy a Switch and an $80 copy of a years-old game. :shock:
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:You know where I think this game would really shine? 4-player local multiplayer where everyone has their own screen. Local multiplayer has always been lightyears more entertaining than online racing anyway, and eliminating the split-screen is pretty much the only way to improve on that experience. Too bad it requires 3 friends who also want to buy a Switch and an $80 copy of a years-old game. :shock:
Well, is there any other way to do it? I know download play usually has limits to how much can be transferred. Smash and Mario Kart are always best locally though yeah.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:You know where I think this game would really shine? 4-player local multiplayer where everyone has their own screen. Local multiplayer has always been lightyears more entertaining than online racing anyway, and eliminating the split-screen is pretty much the only way to improve on that experience. Too bad it requires 3 friends who also want to buy a Switch and an $80 copy of a years-old game. :shock:
Well, is there any other way to do it? I know download play usually has limits to how much can be transferred. Smash and Mario Kart are always best locally though yeah.
Probably not. I'm not saying they should find a better way to do it, just commenting on how difficult it is to find this optimal setup "in the wild"—I don't know about y'all, but I know one person IRL who has a Switch.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I know at least 3 people in the Twin Cities that have a Switch. Once of my friends actually brought his over to my house and we both played Zelda at the same time. Was kind of cool that we would take turns docking it when something cool as happening. I know that my uncle has MK and will like playing it together at family events though, which is nice!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I have three friends who have a Switch, but we're also in our early 20's. Download play would have been nice for this game though, but I guess since you can play on the TV split screen, or play tabletop split screen, it's not as necessary as the 3DS. In most cases I imagine people would rather play split screen TV than separate screen handheld.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I have three friends who have a Switch, but we're also in our early 20's. Download play would have been nice for this game though, but I guess since you can play on the TV split screen, or play tabletop split screen, it's not as necessary as the 3DS. In most cases I imagine people would rather play split screen TV than separate screen handheld.
Separate screens all with separate TVs. :) Four TVs arranged in a square with players sitting around them.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Just hit 2000 points online for racing.
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

So, what about a ToNe tournament?
We can now create private tournaments accessible only if you have the code. It seems to be perfect and not dissimilar to what the MK8 ToNe tournament was, right? (I didn't follow that, since I don't have a WiiU).
We just have to agree on the rules, that follow:
Fixed params are the ones I believe we are probably all fine with. The ones in red are those to decide about, some already have a default choice, that's my own suggestion.
Now, for the start and end times of a weekly tournament: I think the settings are regional so maybe the best is that the one creating the tournament sets the times to give everybody the opportunity to play the full weekend. More definitive suggestions are welcome.
[EDIT] Or maybe the times are relative and we shouldn't worry about that? Did someone have the opportunity to check?
[EDIT 2] Or even, be more lax and allow people to play well past the end of Sunday, and so put the start/end times in the middle of Monday?

Rules
Mode: 150cc Grand Prix
Teams: No Teams
Items: Normal Items
CPU: [No CPU | Easy CPU | Normal CPU | Hard CPU]
Vehicles: All Vehicles
Smart Steering: No Smart Steering

Time Settings
Active: Weekly [Daily | Fixed Period]
Start Day: Monday
End Day: Sunday
Races: No Limit [4 | 6 | 8 | 12 | 16 | 24 | 32 | 48]