E3 2017

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: E3 2017

Post by SkyPikachu »

It's kinda freaky that destructoids community agreed with me on the ranking of each conference (best to worse) Nintendo>Ubisoft>Microsoft(>PC Gamer)>Sony>Bethesda>EA

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote:Kong, I thought that there were still numerous problems with the left joycon controller and the console bricking.
Geez, maybe! If you're doing your research online then you know better than I do. I'm only speaking from personal experience. They have the JoyCon replacement program on, but mine has been OK (admitted light use), and no actual console problems. Again, purely anecdotal.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I thought Ubisoft's presentation was 100x better than Nintendo's. I thought Sony's was at least as good if not better, just by virtue of that cool Spiderman game and Monster Hunter World (also on PC and maybe Xbone I think though) alone.

Overall I didn't think it was that great an E3 though. I mean ultimately it's just subjective anyways. I do think Nintendo did better than last year, which was imo just intolerable since they only showed 2 games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr_tWiwW42E

New game revealed by Nintendo.

Looks hilarious, but rather simple. Like a puzzle sorta game. I like how they went totally nuts with the anime opening though. Lol'd hard at how over the top it is.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote:Kong, I thought that there were still numerous problems with the left joycon controller and the console bricking.
According to Nintendo, all new Switch units since May won't have the joy con issue. Never heard of consoles bricking.

My joy con have the issue, I have an order set up but haven't bothered to send them in yet.

Nintendo showed gameplay of Yoshi and Breath of the Wild DLC today I'll have to check out later.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

evildevil97 wrote:I keep forgetting about Insomniac's Spider-Man. I was really impressed with the footage shown at Sony's conference. I'm sure I'll eventually pick that one up.

Odyssey was the best game of the show, to me. Yoshi was the best new announcement, to me.

I already have Crash Bandicoot and South Park preordered. I really need to find a Switch for Mario. The Rabbids crossover looks interesting, but I'm still not sold on it.
Easy to find a Switch on gamestops website if you buy the bundle with like 3 games. Just sell the games you dont want. They have a bunch of decent options for bundles that are available for preorder, released on June 30th. Check them out! Also, when the yen is good for the USD, it is sometimes actually cheaper to get one on Amazon Japan and have it shipped here. They are region free and power is the same. They also tend to have them in stock.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Best Game Shown With gameplay.
Super Mario Odyssey - Easily looked like the best game coming out this year it had that amazing Nintendo polish.

Biggest Shock
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battles - So yeah this is a thing and it looks good when I thought it would be a party game.

Biggest Reveal Revealed at E3
Super Lucky's Tale - This department was a huge let down this year. Yoshi was a close second.

Best Conference
Nintendo - I've explained before

Biggest Surprise
Miyamoto at Ubisoft -|- Metroid Prime 4 - Did not expect Miyamoto to show up and I thought the Prime series was done.

Missing at show
Crash Bandicoot 4 - Games wise for Sony fell very flat and I was just itching for Crash 4.

Biggest let Down
Spiderman - The gameplay felt very scripted and it didn't feel open world hopefully it is a full massive sandbox and not an uncharted like game.

What's everyone elses bests and worsts of e3?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:What's everyone elses bests and worsts of e3?
I'll use Slurmee's categories first and then add a couple of my own to the end:

Best Game Shown With gameplay.
Spider-Man - Visually stunning, with nice fluid Arkham combat flow amped up a notch to include Spidey's much more interesting suite of abilities and agility. Close second would be Days Gone, which looks great, but I wanted to see even more.

Biggest Shock
Beyond Good & Evil 2 - Was very surprised to see this make an appearance. It was more than just a teaser: they showed enough of the world/culture to make it look very intriguing, and there was also some early gameplay. The only sad thing about this coming out of left field (again) is that it probably won't actually come out for a while.

Biggest Reveal Revealed at E3
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus & Anthem - There were a lot of options I could have gone with here, but some of them are mentioned in other categories, so I'll stick with these two. Wolfenstein: The New Colossus is a testament to the success of The New Order and The Old Blood. They look great and play great, so it's nice to see the Wolfenstein revival paying off. Anthem is just a huge, ambitious, important game for EA. While it's definitely not going to be Destiny (3rd-person, worse gunplay, no info about PvP), it's definitely their answer to that kind of weird cooperative online genre, and it'll either make a ton of money and establish a huge player base for this kind of game under their IP... or it won't.

Best Conference
Ubisoft - As explained in my previous post.

Biggest Surprise
Monster Hunter World - Having this fantastic series come back to a good, powerful home console where it belongs, with well-supported online and party options, is a real treat. I had no idea this was coming, although I've been clamouring for it for years.

Missing at show
Nintendo Switch - Updates to missing Switch functionality were nowhere to be seen. No news about Virtual Console. No news about system updates. No news about voice chat. Their online service was pushed back to 2018. There wasn't even a firmware/UI update at the show. I was non-naively (I thought) expecting a system update during E3. They are way behind the ball on this stuff.

Biggest let Down
Nintendo's conference - Nintendo had potential to really electrify people with their show this year, with a brand new console on the market, but unfortunately they made a number of missteps. Their best game was revealed at Ubisoft's conference. Their 3DS suite was revealed after the show on the floor. They spent 30% of their presentation on DLC for an old game. The biggest news coming out of their conference was anti-climactic: an off-hand post-script comment about a core Pokémon RPG and a 15-second title splash for Metroid Prime 4. If they had taken an hour in a theatre/conference hall and actually made their biggest announcements about their biggest news, it would have been a show-stopper.

Now a couple of additional categories:

BEST INDIE
A Way Out - By the developer of one of the best video games of all time, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It looks like it may or may not have a similar gameplay mechanic, with the player controlling two prisoners. But even if it doesn't, I give these developers a lot of credit for being able to do very interesting and creative things, so I'm excited to see where they go with this one.

Personal Fave
Destiny 2 - I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Destiny, and this one looks like everything a sequel should be: it maintains the familiar elements, and incrementally improves everything else. The graphics look beautiful. It's not hamstrung by supporting PS360. It's getting a from-scratch PC version. It's shaping up to be the best E3 game released in 2017.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

I haven't watched or followed anything of the E3, so no 'best of' list from me. Only 2 games that caught my interest were the 2 metroid games. MP4 for Switch was a surprise, but nothing was shown. But the remake of Metroid 2 was even a bigger surprise. Didn't look like it would require the new 3DS, so I will get it day 2 (as I'm busy on day 1).

Read somewhere that BG&E2 will eventually arrive on Switch, if so I certainly will check it out.
Grt. Merlin

Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Mario - Good
Wolfy - Good

I really only wanted to see Serious Sam 4.

Detailed verdict: Garbo with a few really good gems.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

I just caught the trailer for Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Oh dear. I'm afraid I'm left with the sort of uneasy feeling I had when another Ubisoft title of yore, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, was first announced and replaced the evocative Arabian Nights storytelling of the original with populist boobs, blood and out of place heavy metal soundtrack.

I know that deep down it isn't quite that jump but that painfully long burst of f-bombs seemed very much to be repeating that mistake and I can imagine the logic behind it may well have been the same, given the abysmal sales of the original. It was just so tonally jarring from the spirit and feel of the first game it left me feeling slightly depressed.